J.W. Marriott vs. Westin Anaheim Resort

PirateBrigade

Yarrrr
Ready... fight!

Okay folks, let's put these properties head-to-head. We have two adults in their late-30s leaving the kids at home and scooting down for some F&W fun + other things in LA TBD.

JW has been on my list since pandemic-onset and is our preferred hotel brand when traveling (we are Marriott Bonvoy members). In fact, I already booked it, but the opening of the new Westin on Katella/West is intriguing, and it seems to poll higher than the JW. I'm putting it to the board for some opinions on both sides.

Cost is not a concern, but we do not want to support an on-site stay at this time, nor do we want to drive for our on-park day.

Opinions, assemble!

I'm at the JW Feb 20-25 and can review after that. I picked it over the Westin because it was slightly less expensive and an internet friend has stayed at both and returned to the JW for a second stay.

I have stayed at the Westin but not the JW Marriott. I would not hesitate to stay at the Westin again and undoubtedly will. The one piece that would probably keep me from picking the JW over the Westin is the walk to the parks. My google estimates indicate that both are essentially the same walking distance to the esplanade. However, I would MUCH rather walk through DTD to the parks, stop at Starbucks etc. on the way if desired rather than the walk on Harbor and going through Harbor security.

ETA: this is not meant to trigger the 'walking on Harbor is sketchy' debate. It's not. I have no safety concerns or anything like that walking on Harbor. I'd just rather walk through DTD for the atmosphere etc. And I am traumatized by Harbor security lines.

You can also cut through GCH when leaving the parks to further shorten the walk to the Westin.

Stayed at both. Westin treated my DH (he has Bonvoy status) much better. Note that JW has only valet parking, which we found inconvenient.

This one is a toughie. I really don't think you can go wrong with either. How much time, realistically, will you be spending at the hotel? How often do you think you will take advantage of dining options near the hotel?

More time at the hotel...JW.

More time in the parks...Westin.

I've only stayed at the JW, but loved it and would gladly return. The Westin looks nice and has a good location, but I've had a few lackluster stays at other Westins so I don't tend to put that brand at the top of my list (and I'm an ambassador member and lifetime titanium member of Bonvoy, so I've spent plenty of time in most of their brands).

You didn't mention it, but I also really like the Anaheim Marriott over by the convention center. It's obviously older than both the JW and Westin, but I've had many great stays there. It's still within walking distance of the parks, but now is an ideal time to stay there while it's not overrun with convention crowds (which used to be my only complaint).

I have stayed at the Westin but not the JW Marriott. I would not hesitate to stay at the Westin again and undoubtedly will. The one piece that would probably keep me from picking the JW over the Westin is the walk to the parks. My google estimates indicate that both are essentially the same walking distance to the esplanade. However, I would MUCH rather walk through DTD to the parks, stop at Starbucks etc. on the way if desired rather than the walk on Harbor and going through Harbor security.

ETA: this is not meant to trigger the 'walking on Harbor is sketchy' debate. It's not. I have no safety concerns or anything like that walking on Harbor. I'd just rather walk through DTD for the atmosphere etc. And I am traumatized by Harbor security lines.

You can also cut through GCH when leaving the parks to further shorten the walk to the Westin.

Agree with all of this! We stayed at the Westin in November and loved it - super clean rooms, outstanding staff, and the walk to the parks and going through security was much more pleasant than the Harbor side.

I've only stayed at the JW, but loved it and would gladly return. The Westin looks nice and has a good location, but I've had a few lackluster stays at other Westins so I don't tend to put that brand at the top of my list (and I'm an ambassador member and lifetime titanium member of Bonvoy, so I've spent plenty of time in most of their brands).

Give this Westin a shot. I completely agree that other Westins I've stayed at were subpar at best...pretty terrible in some cases. But this one is brand new and definitely an exception.

Stayed at the Westin last week, very modern and new feeling, wasn't there long enough to get the hang of the light switches. Used a suite upgrade to a 1 bedroom balcony (hang over the balcony) park view. Kids had regular rooms upgraded to Park View with awesome views of CA and the fireworks. Got to choose between points and extra lounge access, took the lounge access and were quite happy with the breakfast options. Have never done the Harbor walk but the walk and security were a breeze for RD. We had dinner at Tangerine and it was surprisingly good for a hotel meal. I would definitely return.

Ok, these responses have me looking more carefully and I've emailed my TA to see if I can change to the Westin. Both the ability to use the Downtown Disney entrance AND the fact that their rooftop lounge IS open on Sundays - with Sunday being my arrival day (and DL only doing 5-day tix max and that would be my 6th day) I don't have a ticket for that day but that is the only night fireworks will be happening. The JW advertises their rooftop place as being a fireworks viewing place, but it is NOT open on Sunday. If she can't make the change, I'll deal with it and figure something out, but hopefully she'll be able to do it.

You didn't mention it, but I also really like the Anaheim Marriott over by the convention center. It's obviously older than both the JW and Westin, but I've had many great stays there. It's still within walking distance of the parks, but now is an ideal time to stay there while it's not overrun with convention crowds (which used to be my only complaint).
Alas conventions are coming back so do make sure to check the convention calendar. I’m staying onsite for an Apr trip and couldn’t figure out why prices were so high for my off-site arrival night- cheer convention is in town. Oops. And someone was just on the boards here in sticker shock at hotel rates in Mar and it turns out their dates are during a major Expo so… yeah. Conventions are back. Great for Anaheim but bummer us lol.

I've never been impressed by the Anaheim Marriott. In some of the rooms, there weren't logical places to hang towels and the lounge breakfast was lackluster. Depending on where your room is, it could also take a very long time to get in/out of the hotel. It's not a bad hotel but I personally wouldn't pick it over the JW or Westin if I'm comfortable with the price difference.

I agree that Westin being a legacy SPG tends to be more hit or miss than JW Marriott. But a nice Westin would usually feel more unique and have more amenities like a nicer gym than your typical JW Marriott.

Ok, these responses have me looking more carefully and I've emailed my TA to see if I can change to the Westin. Both the ability to use the Downtown Disney entrance AND the fact that their rooftop lounge IS open on Sundays - with Sunday being my arrival day (and DL only doing 5-day tix max and that would be my 6th day) I don't have a ticket for that day but that is the only night fireworks will be happening. The JW advertises their rooftop place as being a fireworks viewing place, but it is NOT open on Sunday. If she can't make the change, I'll deal with it and figure something out, but hopefully she'll be able to do it.

Following up, I did get it switched to the Westin - and I already have a reservation for their rooftop lounge which IS open on Sunday.

A week after contacting the JW I finally heard back and it is correct that even though Sunday nights are fireworks nights, Parkestry is closed. They claimed I could "ask a front desk representative for roof access to watch the fireworks". But the decision was already made. And that seems kind of iffy and up to the agent if they grant access or not.

I stayed at JW for 8 days the week before DLR reopened. It was pretty nice and quiet.

I've never been impressed by the Anaheim Marriott. In some of the rooms, there weren't logical places to hang towels and the lounge breakfast was lackluster. Depending on where your room is, it could also take a very long time to get in/out of the hotel. It's not a bad hotel but I personally wouldn't pick it over the JW or Westin if I'm comfortable with the price difference.

That Marriott by the convention center was THE place to hang out when we had conferences in high school...I think it had the only functioning Starbucks in the area (at that time).

I remember it being big, and yes very far if you had the wrong room. That's my complaint about the Hilton across the street, not only are the rooms far from the elevator on the north side, the thick carpet made for extra effort in pulling our wheeled luggage. Not a fan...but I have noticed that Hilton does come in cheapest for room rates at that service level, probably as a function of how many rooms that building has.

Those two hotels occupied an interesting space for me: when you needed something a lot nicer than Best Western, Tropicana Inn, HoJo, or that castle hotel...but still technically walkable, but with the option of the ART stop right in the middle. Those have now been supplanted by the JW Marriott and the Westin.

And thank you all for the replies -- very helpful and eye opening. We are going to keep our JW Marriott reservation (reasons below), but will book Westin the next time we're with the kids.

Reasons we're keeping JWM this round:
1) We will not be back-and-forth to the parks, no kids, and we're used to walking the Tenderloin in SF (for food, the only thing worth the risk), so the potentially dodgy walk along Harbor vs. Disneyland Dr/DtD is not relevant this trip. But I didn't think of this with Westin, so it will be handy for the kids (and we are not on-site), thanks @pharmama!

2) We get to the hotel Saturday afternoon (not entering park that day), we're looking forward to just sitting and reading/playing chess...so I guess that doesn't matter which hotel we are at (but @DLgal's advice is noted). Our food options appear to be better attached to the Garden Walk. Thank you @Dug720 for the info about the rooftop.

3) We're Ubering it from LA so not worried about those valet charges (ouch on both properties, though!), thanks @sophy1996

4) Not really a reason, but we noticed there's a Fleming's at Westin (@Malcon10t) and a Roy's at the JW. **Okay, I know they're not related companies anymore, but more evidence these properties & surrounds are fairly evenly matched**

5) I know I said I didn't care about cost, but the JW Marriott came in $25/night cheaper ($294 vs. $319/night).

Trip is early April, I'll follow-up this thread with a hotel report and add one for Westin when we eventually get to that hotel. I've got a stockpile of banked DVC points + our park trips are a lot fewer this year, so it might take a little while to get to the Westin eventually.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter