I've lost 20 lbs, so why aren't my fat pants falling off?!

mom0299

DIS Veteran
I was at my heaviest last fall and have lost 20 lbs. of my 30 lb. goal. :banana: But I put on my "fat pants", you know, the ones I had to buy at my heaviest and swore I would never buy that size again. So why aren't they falling off of me? :confused3 I thought I would be buying a new wardrobe at this point. My clothes do feel looser, but nothing like I thought they would.

I was reading a thread like this recently (sparkpeople maybe?) and they were saying we don't realize how tight we were wearing our clothes before. After being honest with myself they're probably right. Also, sometimes it takes our bodies a bit of time to catch up with what we're doing. One week I lose lbs and it seems like my body hasn't changed much then the next week I won't lose anything but I'll drop inches. Hang in there, it'll happen.:goodvibes

Don't forget too, that you have to tone as you lose--that's where you're gonna lose the inches. Self.com has some great toning videos that usually don't require much equipment. And as a woman, it's best to use your body weight against you, not necessarily big heavy freeweights. Good luck with your loss, and congrats on your loss so far!!

You could have lost most of the weight from other places like your arms and legs and chest that wouldn't reflect in your pants size.

The body can be an odd thing. For instance, I have lost about 30lbs, in addition though I have lost a ton of inches all over my body. In my waist, I have lost about 5 1/2 inches in my chest but in my waist I have lost a whole 2. I have lost in all sorts of places. The fact is genetics and how one wheres clothes can determine where you can "gain" inches. The thing is if you are going down in any week its a good thing. I would take measurements in 6 areas:

Neck
Upper arm
Chest
Waist (suck in)
Hips
Thighs
Calves

You will find out rather quickly where it all is at and going. Stay with what ever you are doing. Its a journey that took years to start and it will come off with time. Good Luck

Congratulations for losing 20 pounds! That is a big accomplishment.

Are you exercising (cardio) and doing weight training as part of your weight loss program? If not these two things will help change inches more than just dropping pounds. I too have lost 20 pounds and have gone from a size 24 to a size 16/18 but most of my weight loss has come about due to exercise rather than just low calorie intake. My friends keep saying that I look more like I lost 40 pounds than just 20 because of the change in size due to the fact that I now have muscle tone.

Good luck!

I lost 57 lbs and still wore the same size slacks. They bunched up a little when i tightened my belt but i sure didn't lose 3 or 4 sizes. Just concentrate on how much better you feel and how much easier it is to get those same pants buttoned everyday. Good work and keep at it..:goodvibes

I was at my heaviest last fall and have lost 20 lbs. of my 30 lb. goal. :banana: But I put on my "fat pants", you know, the ones I had to buy at my heaviest and swore I would never buy that size again. So why aren't they falling off of me? :confused3 I thought I would be buying a new wardrobe at this point. My clothes do feel looser, but nothing like I thought they would.

I am in the same boat. I have lost 17 pounds but am in the same size jeans. It is actually kind of discouraging. I exercise like a fiend and have added running to my exercise program so I can't even blame it on a lack of cardio (and I lift at least twice a week). I'm going to try and up my running to 6 miles at a clip (I usually do 4 miles 3x a week) so maybe that will make a difference...:confused3

Thanks everyone. I have just started to do some weight training in addition to my cardio. Hopefully that will help. It does feel good to see the number on the scale go down, even if I don't feel it so much in my clothes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter