I've Been Vaccinated (No Politics Please)

Status
Not open for further replies.
tempered with the news that Moderna has not submitted a plan for the six million doses that Canada was shorted a month ago.. and they are cautioning that there could be further delays in promised upcoming shipments
Yes worried for parents and aunt who received their 1st Moderna shots months ago and now anxious for news that they can book their appointment for the 2nd Moderna. They are all in their 70s and definitely do not want to consider mixing and matching with Pfizer. Happy for AZ news but one hand giveth and one hand taketh away.

Anyone afraid of needles and wanting to ensure a virtually painless experience, I'd recommend this: Request that the person administering to please "dart" the needle in quickly. This is the proper way to give an IM injection as was taught to me years ago (I'm an RN). I've seen some (news footage on TV) giving in this manner: place the tip of the needle on the skin surface and push in slowly from there. This is unnecessarily painful for the recipient!! I've given many injections using the "dart-like" technique, and was often told "That didn't hurt at all" or "you're done? I didn't even feel it" I've received injections given using the quick, dart-like and the slow-push technique and OMG! what a difference in the amount of pain. The level of pain with the slow-push method is far from unbearable, but it's completely unnecessary! It works on the same principle as removing a band-aid quickly.

Virtual Dr. appt this morning.
My Dr. recommends that I get a second shot of the AZ.

So now to wait for the Shoppers to call.
12 week in between shots = June 17th
16 weeks in between shots =July 17th.

Hugs
Mel
Think you may be in luck!

CBC announcing that 2nd AZ shot available for booking next week but just for those who had their 1st AZ in early to mid March. Probably as part of a pilot project or through their family md. The rest of us may have to wait until later this summer when Ontario finalizes its plans re more AZ vaccine arriving and mixing with Pfizer. Makes sense as only limited AZ doses now and they want it to go to those who have at least 10 wks on the clock.

CBC link:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/covid-19-ontario-may-21-2021-astrazeneca-vaccine-1.6035595

Just called my Shoppers Pharmacy and they have not been told of any info regarding how much AZ they are getting and not received any info on how people are to book. They had been originally told the Gov would contact people via email .
Bit of a mess up.
I was in the March 10-19 group reported.

Just called my Shoppers Pharmacy and they have not been told of any info regarding how much AZ they are getting and not received any info on how people are to book. They had been originally told the Gov would contact people via email .
Bit of a mess up.
I was in the March 10-19 group reported.

Me too. I'm hoping that we can just book at any Shoppers to get it done.

Like others out in BC I got my kids (14 and 16) registered for the vaccination list on Wednesday evening and then by yesterday (Thursday) night got teh text to make an appointment booking. So they are now booked for Tuesday the 25th.

That all went much faster than I expected after hearing earlier this week they would be announcing plans for 12+. It will be great to have a household with everyone vaccinated with a first shot. Throw away all the masks and start touching and licking everything!!! (Not really, but hooray nonetheless).

Yes worried for parents and aunt who received their 1st Moderna shots months ago and now anxious for news that they can book their appointment for the 2nd Moderna. They are all in their 70s and definitely do not want to consider mixing and matching with Pfizer. Happy for AZ news but one hand giveth and one hand taketh away.

I’m right there with you.. My Mom is about to turn 93 and also received Moderna back in March and is set to receive dose number two in very early July. I’m hoping that the logistics can be sorted in time. Mom is not at all comfortable with the idea of mixing brands.

FYI York Region website is now open for 12+. Monday slots were still available a couple of hours ago when I booked the kids.

Edit: Should have posted earlier (had to work) or re-checked before commenting. Appointments widely available for King location and some others are limited. Our site is currently full.

I just received this from Rexall
BUT
I am not sure if I can go to a Rexall or if it has to be original Pharmacy (Shoppers Drug Mart).
No email from Shoppers yet

Quote from email
AstraZeneca Update Notice: The Ontario Government announced today that we are proceeding with providing second doses of AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine. The Ministry of Health has advised that receiving a second dose after 10 weeks is safe and effective. People who received a first dose between March 10 and March 19, 2021 are eligible to receive a second dose at select Rexall pharmacies starting May 24, 2021. More information on locations and process for receiving a 2nd dose will be provided soon.

Hugs Mel

here's the 2 emails from Rexall, they both say that the pharmacy we got our 1st shots at will reach out to us when it's time for our 2nd. The first email clearly says we'll get it at the same pharmacy
Screenshot_20210521-175001_Email.jpg
in the most recent one it also says they will reach out
Screenshot_20210521-174259_Email.jpg

The article I just read says
"Dr. David Williams, the province's chief medical officer of health, said Friday that those who received the first dose of AstraZeneca between March 10 and March 19 during a pilot project at pharmacies and some doctor's offices in several Ontario communities will be first in line to receive their second dose.
Starting next week, those people could opt to receive the second dose at a 10-week interval - the recommended interval is 12 weeks -
in order to use up the 45,000 doses currently in refrigerators in pharmacies and family doctors' offices that will expire in 10 days. Another 10,000 doses are set to expire next month.
The CEO of the Ontario Pharmacists Association said work is underway to collect and reallocate doses to pharmacies that need to administer the doses to people in the early March cohort.
While it will be a logistical challenge to ensure none of the shots are wasted, Justin Bates said he is optimistic it can be done.
He expects that pharmacies will begin administering the shots by Wednesday."

Full article here
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/cana...19-as-second-dose/ar-AAKeWyi?ocid=hplocalnews
So I guess this is why they want the people that got the vaccine March 10-19 (that 10 day time period) to be first to use up this stock before it goes bad.
Then they will move along from there.
Oh well I guess we wait.

Hugs
Mel

Last edited:
DS was dragged down to the waterfront by yours truly today for a pop-up that suddenly opened up for everyone 12+ regardless of health history or postal code around 3pm. THANK YOU Vaccine Hunters for the tireless work they’re doing by posting all of these! The line at the pop-up was definitely growing when we left around 5 as word spread. And with the news that they’re opening up eligibility for 12+ on Sunday here in Ontario…yes, I definitely agree that the light at the end of this tunnel keeps getting brighter! Now I just wish they would start booking second doses ASAP for anyone over 70 and that they would make an announcement about the decision regarding mixing vaccine types.

...Now I just wish they would start booking second doses ASAP for anyone over 70 and that they would make an announcement about the decision regarding mixing vaccine types.

I think this will all happen soon/quickly as supply keeps growing and we get through first shots for most people soon. I'd wager that the wait for the 2nd does will be ~12 weeks as opposed to the max 16 weeks. With number of doses administered so far and the current pace (and expected deliveries) there will have been enough supply to give both shots to 85% of everyone 12+ by August 1st. Indeed that light at the end of the tunnel keeps getting brighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter