It's Getting Ugly for Eisner

lrodk

<font color=009900>No one is immune to the TF's in
With increased vocalism, business analysts and media reporters alike are calling into question openly Michael Eisner's future with the company. I was watching a forum on CNBC last night on the Kudlow & Kramer show which dealt exclusively with the "DIsney Mess". The panel of three analysts(one which was known historically as an Eisner sympathizer)all agreed that it was time for him to move on so that the company could begin a transition of healing. As I've stated before, because of Eisner's stubborn nature and massive ego, things are likely to get a lot worse for Disney as he micromanages what's left into the ground. The Orlando Sentinal has run an article today which addresses this very topic. Like it or not, expect to see many more of these columns/discussions in the media in the weeks/months to come.
Here's the article as it appears in the OS:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Don Shula. Tom Landry.

Bill Frederick. Winston Churchill.

Lee Iacocca. Jack Welch.

They were great in their prime and in their time. But they didn't realize when it was time to step aside, so their departures became painful spectacles.

To this list, do we add Michael Eisner?

Disney stock has been dropping like the dot-coms. Certainly some of this has to do with the recession. But consider these corporate decisions:

Disney lost almost $2 billion in its 1999 Go.com Internet venture.

Disney rushed to open hundreds of Disney Stores, only to have the demand for Disney merchandise drop sharply, forcing the company to begin closing stores amid big losses.

One reason for the merchandising plunge is a lack of movies with marketing spin-off potential, such as The Lion King and The Little Mermaid.

The Disney purchase of Capital Cities/ABC for $19 billion in 1995 seemed like a great match. But ABC has been in the TV-ratings cellar ever since, despite the reputed genius of Disney entertainment and Eisner's personal involvement in scheduling.

Eisner's micromanagement is, in part, blamed for the rapid turnover of company executives. The biggest debacle was hiring Michael Ovitz as president in 1995. He left the next year, taking $90 million with him.

Despite all this, Eisner gets by because of the goodwill he built up by rescuing the company in 1984, when corporate raiders were circling. So investors patiently wait for him to get back on track and deliver soaring profits again.

For the sake of the Orlando parks, which have become cash cows bolstering the company, let's hope so.

But was Eisner the right man to save Disney in 1984 and the wrong one to run it now?

His genius when he took over Disney was tapping into underutilized assets. He revived those old Disney classic movies from the vault. He took all that empty land at Disney World and plopped hotels and parks on it. He jacked up admission prices. He revived the moribund movie studio and brought back the animated classic.

Eisner accomplished all this with two key players, company President Frank Wells and studio whiz Jeffrey Katzenberg. Wells died in 1994, the same year Katzenberg had a nasty falling-out with Eisner.

Call it coincidence, but that's when the mistakes began. It might well be that Eisner's genius is incomplete by itself. Give him Wells, and he's brilliant because Wells covered for Eisner's weaknesses. Together they were the perfect CEO.

It is the nature of people at Eisner's level not to recognize their own faults, to believe that they are the reason for success and the cogs below them are expendable.

But it is quite obvious that Katzenberg was not expendable. How many others who left the company also were not expendable?

Eisner's response -- typical for people at his level -- is that problems result from a lack of his input. So the micromanaging increases, as does the alienation of other executives.

Jimmy Carter did the same thing in the White House. Brilliance and total control can result in arrogance and isolation.

Lee Iacocca once said he was better at saving sinking ships than running them once they were afloat.

Disney investors may well be wondering the same thing about Eisner."

YES! That article head the nail right on the head. Finally the world is starting to see it. Hopefully he will see the handwriting on the wall of the aboinded shell that is tommorowland in Disneyland and finally step down.

But until that wonderful day, I think its going to start getting a bit crowded in car #3. Perhaps we can borrow a bus and call it Bus #3? Better yet, a monorail.

This is all well and good....if he is let go. Does anyone have any idea who could step in and not continue to run the place into the ground? I know that we like to think a monkey with a dart board could do better, but is that really the case. There has to be a short list of peple that could get the job done. Anybody care to throw out any names???

I wonder if the Board of Directors read the Sentinel? We can always hope!

Lisa:cool:

Didn't see all of the K&K segment, but not much doubt what they think about current management. Usually when you have two guests one is pro, one anti. Both were clearly anti, and Kramer is not shy about his assessment of Eisner. Kramer used to be a big Disney proponent, and used to carry large amounts in his portfolio.

Kramer commented how annoying it has gotten that whenever anything negative gets raised their reply is always "the brand, the brand". Some comment about don't they get it the brand is not cash. And isn't the stock dropping from 30+ to below 15 enough of a sign for them. Not an unexpected stance from a portfolio manager.

The more depressing comment was from Ron Glover who said he thought it very unlikely Eisner would step down anytime soon. That while the board has gotten a little more involved he didn't think it would amount to much. He said he could be there 3 months or just as easily until he is 65. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

And how old is Eisner now? ( just wondering how depressing that idea really is......)

No one has to replace Eisner and it’s rather foolish for The Company to even try. There isn’t a single person that can run all of Disney’s segments well. Eisner never has been able to do it; certainly no one at AOL Time Warner, Viacom or Vivendi Universal tried to run everything.

What you need are six good people instead of one superman. You need a good studio head and then you need a really good filmmaker to run Animation again and breathe life back into it. You someone who understands and appreciates the theme parks and who’s really good at damage repair. You need someone to run Consumer Products and straighten out that festering mess. Lastly, you need some good corporate CEO type to make sure the business is run soundly and to make everyone play nice with each other.

Finding six different people who are good at one thing is much easier than finding one person who is the master of six different skills.

P.S. – The sixth person, find a really good banker to dump that turkey ABC on the biggest fool you can find.

Europa, in this situation, the fear of change is often times worse than the change. And, who knows, an unknown may be the answer.

Unfortunately, with his big ego, Eisner will go out screaming and shouting. It won't be his choice.

The change will have come from Wall Street and the stockholders. I know of a big company, that is no longer here. The CEO ran it into the ground. One of the board tried to oust him. He lost by 2 votes. The other fools stuck with the CEO knowing where the company was headed. It took one day for the CEO to get rid of him.

With the discontent that is growing with Eisner, the next annual meeting will have to held in the middle of Alaska. I hope there is a big stockholders turnout at the next one, and the ones that get into the meeting have a lawyer or two there to prevent the board from preventing them from speaking out!

With the discontent that is growing with Eisner, the next annual meeting will have to held in the middle of Alaska. I hope there is a big stockholders turnout at the next one, and the ones that get into the meeting have a lawyer or two there to prevent the board from preventing them from speaking out!

I can almost guarantee that the next stockholders meeting will be nowhere near a high profile city. It seems that the location of these meetings the last few years have mirrored the extent of problems that they've faced. You can't help but get the impression that the worse the news and/or forecast is, the more remote the location tends to be. The thinking is that a meeting in Chicago or Texas will not attract as many complainers(or the same degree of media attention) that in the past have heatedly engaged Eisner on any number of issues. My guess is that the next meeting will be somewhere between NY and California, probably in an even smaller market than in the past. The funny thing will be their spin on why it's being held at that location. They'll probably come up with something like, "this was the city where walt negotiated his first contract", or some other nonsense like that. The real truth is Eisner can't be bothered with all of the bashing and badgering any more. And let me tell you, if you ever attended the meetings in NY you'd understand why. Many of the more vocal investors attending are relentless and downright rude.

Darn, of all nights to miss the show!! Do you know if there is a rebroadcast on tv or the internet??

Is it possible that the location is already booked? They do have to reserve the space in advance, especially if its not on their property.

But I guess if its going to be in Podunk, USA, they wouldn't have to worry about it...

The choice for the next stockholders meeting could be Marceline, MO where Walt grew up. Unless it's too close to St. Louis. I've never been to MO.

Perhaps they should book the next stockholder meeting at the CBR. That way, no one could get to them.

Do you think it would be legal to hold it somewhere in Siberia????

But until that wonderful day, I think its going to start getting a bit crowded in car #3. Perhaps we can borrow a bus and call it Bus #3? Better yet, a monorail.
:bounce: :bounce:

Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

And to think - - - Two years ago (before the cars were even invented) I was driving all alone!!!!

:bounce: :bounce:

Marceline is certainly in the middle of not much if not nowhere...If you draw a triangle with Des Moines, IA at the apex and St Louis and Kansas City at the two other points of the triangle, Marceline is in the middle of the trianlge---it is a bout an hour and a half north of the middle of the state of Missouri--the middle of the state is 2 hours east of Kansas City, or 2 hours west of St. Louis. There is no Interstate to or near Marceline, nor is their much lodging capacity nearby...sounds perfect.

And I can plan a pin meet in Omaha! ;) :jester: :bounce:
Hey -- if Warren Buffet can live here and have HIS stockholders here...... Anything is possible!

Actually Anchorage would be perfect for a stockholders convention, it is widely known as a popular convention city by many corporations. Its only a 3.5 hour flight from Seattle or 5 days by car from Seattle on the Alaskan Highway. And during our winter months WDW is the second choice after Hawaii for vacationers. With the average amount of $1,700 per person given to us per year (thats including children and infants) from The Permanent Fund that is royalties from oil sold many (including myself) rely on it for our vacation funds, maybe most of us do or don't care for Eisner and stock prices but we have been spending our money on Disney (though my future monies may be heading to japan;) )

Anchorage won't be picked, too easy to get to. Has to be further inland. Two big requirements. No roads or airports.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter