• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

It's almost Halloween! post your spooky Halloweenie stories!

moon

DIS Veteran
I can't be something you experienced, or something you heard or read. It doesn't matter!

I'll start:

A man is walking on a deserted rural road at midnight. He sees a little girl standing all alone.

He tells her "Hey little girl, aren't you scared to be here alone at this hour?

She replies, "Well, I used to be scared, when I was alive"

Probably not what you intended. I wrote this a few years ago. Fun to pull it out at this time of year!

When the air takes a chill and the leaves start to fall,

You know that it’s time for the Monster Dress Ball.

Every monster and creature from the small to the tall,

Is cordially invited to the best ball of all.

A haunted hotel is the site of the affair,

A five-scream location sure to scare with real flair.

Accommodations go quickly, as all are aware,

For those hoping to stay at the function’s prime lair.

This year’s party was to be no exception,

The function was a sell out from the inception.

All expected dancing and musical selection,

As part of the gruesome reception.

The Mummy called in early to book his room.

He wanted to make sure he got a room with a tomb.

Witch Hazel was concerned, as one might assume,

That her room would contain proper storage for her broom.

Those attending wanted to look their frightful best,

Each hoping to win the best-dressed creature contest.

To this end they approached their appearance quest,

With monstrous zeal and relentless zest.

The Wolfman decided to give a new stylist a try,

He was looking for an extra special wash and blow-dry.

The result was met with a terrible cry,

When he realized she’d applied a purple hair dye.

There was also a glitch in the Invisible Man’s plan.

Three hours in the booth and no visible tan.

In desperation, he tried application from a can.

The outcome, floating streaks where the spray ran.

The Count fearing his look might not pass inspection.

Stepped up to the mirror but he had no reflection.

His ghoul friend assured him with the utmost affection,

The darkness of night would hide imperfection.

Some thought they spied Houdini among the confusion.

The crowd had jumped to an erroneous conclusion.

Their desire to see him fed their delusion.

He could not attend. It was just an illusion.

When Dr. Jekyll stepped out of his ride,

Some guests mistook him for Mr. Hyde.

“No, I’m the good one!” Jekyll cried.

They did not believe him. They knew that Hyde lied.

The Zombie just wanted to find a seat.

He needed to sit and have someone to eat.

All the dancing and fun had left him beat.

Truth be told, he was dead on his feet!

In the end, the ball was a frightening success.

It was totally worth all the preparation and stress.

As the guests left the party, some were heard to profess,

Let the planning begin for next years’ party excess!

I grew up in the Bellwood subdivision, named after John Bell, who was haunted by the Bell Witch. We got candy from them on halloween, but would sometimes play the game 'who's afraid of the bell witch" in my bathroom.

I used to spend Summer nights in our finished basement on the sofa because my room got too hot. The basement was nice and cool. Being a basement, the windows are high on the wall. One dawn a few years ago I woke up and opened my eyes just in time to see a huge black shape loom over me, blocking the light just starting to creep in from the high window. I could clearly make out that it was a vaguely human shape. I couldn't move for a few seconds and then I just screwed my eyes tightly shut. When I opened them again, the shape was gone...and so was I. I could have beaten Usain Bolt up the stairs. I have never slept down there again, and although I sometimes go down there and do my crafts, I quit when it starts to get dark outside.

A man gets out of his car on the side of the road. He hears a faint hissing sound. I am the Viper. He can't see anything. But he has to go to the bathroom so he goes. The hissing gets closer. I am the Viper. He starts back to his car It's closer. I am the Viper. Terrified, he trips and loses his keys. It's all around him now. He went to the bathroom but he goes again in his pants. I am the Viper I AM THE VIPER, I AM THE VIPER. Finally he says what do you want Viper? Suddenly out of the woods a girl appears with a Mr. Microphone and says You Vant your Vindows Viped?

it's too long to post here, but I recently read "The Landlady" by Roald Dahl for the first time and it gave me the creeps.

this one too -- too long to post, but this is a link. "The Peephole."

ETA: Also! "His Face All Red" is a spooky story in comic form. Love this, but also, I'm too much of a scaredy cat.
http://emcarroll.com/comics/faceallred/01.html

Last edited:
In my life, I've had exactly three things happen to me that could even vaguely be considered paranormal. That could be due to one of several reasons. Could be that the paranormal just isn't real. Could be that my day just hasn't come yet. Could be that I'm what those in the paranormal community call a "null" - someone who is just incapable of experiencing The Other Side.

Anyway, here are my three:

1) A few weeks after my grandmother died, I was in a really bad place in my life. I was flat broke, just graduated from college, had been through a bad breakup, and had no idea what the hell I was going to do with the rest of my life. I had a dream where she called me on the phone. Her voice was faint and distant, but it was her, and she was telling me that everything was going to be OK. And in my dream, I knew she was dead, but it totally wasn't weird that she was calling me on the phone. It just seemed so natural and ordinary.

2) At the Dana-Thomas House in Springfield, Illinois, which is supposedly haunted by the ghost of the crazed old woman who used to live there, I felt like I was being watched. I almost certainly was being watched: that place is filled with priceless art and antiques.

3). At the Winchester House in San Jose, California, I swear I faintly heard the sound, which seemed to come from nowhere in particular, of a woman sighing or moaning (from sadness, not from that other reason). The Winchester House is supposedly one of the most haunted places in the country, nay the world.

I date online, how many horror stories do you want? Because in the last month when I decided to dip my toe in again, I've been out with a guy who "was still technically married" (they still lived in the same house) - ah no. And someone who told me that my nephew has autism (the docs now think he actually has an issue with his vocal chords so he's going to a pulmonist) because he was vaccinated. I asked the sushi chef to get mine to go and walked out.

I date online, how many horror stories do you want? Because in the last month when I decided to dip my toe in again, I've been out with a guy who "was still technically married" (they still lived in the same house) - ah no. And someone who told me that my nephew has autism (the docs now think he actually has an issue with his vocal chords so he's going to a pulmonist) because he was vaccinated. I asked the sushi chef to get mine to go and walked out.

Amber. no, please, NO! Those stories are too horrific to read! :scared: I was hoping to keep this thread light, you know, ghosts, haunted houses apparitions...this is just too much :faint:

In my life, I've had exactly three things happen to me that could even vaguely be considered paranormal. That could be due to one of several reasons. Could be that the paranormal just isn't real. Could be that my day just hasn't come yet. Could be that I'm what those in the paranormal community call a "null" - someone who is just incapable of experiencing The Other Side.

Anyway, here are my three:

1) A few weeks after my grandmother died, I was in a really bad place in my life. I was flat broke, just graduated from college, had been through a bad breakup, and had no idea what the hell I was going to do with the rest of my life. I had a dream where she called me on the phone. Her voice was faint and distant, but it was her, and she was telling me that everything was going to be OK. And in my dream, I knew she was dead, but it totally wasn't weird that she was calling me on the phone. It just seemed so natural and ordinary.

I find that sweet and comforting. So much so that I'd love to have a dream like that

2) At the Dana-Thomas House in Springfield, Illinois, which is supposedly haunted by the ghost of the crazed old woman who used to live there, I felt like I was being watched. I almost certainly was being watched: that place is filled with priceless art and antiques.

I must take a tour in a haunted house. Sounds like you were not disappointed.

3). At the Winchester House in San Jose, California, I swear I faintly heard the sound, which seemed to come from nowhere in particular, of a woman sighing or moaning (from sadness, not from that other reason). The Winchester House is supposedly one of the most haunted places in the country, nay the world.

Now, that's creepy! :scared: And not something I wish to experience!

So I am currently in a production of Cabaret. Yesterday as we are getting ready for the show in the dressing room a roll of the tape that we use to secure our microphones on flew off the surface it was on and landed on the floor. It wasn't bumped or knocked over... it flew. That was weird. We do hear legends about "Mary" our theatre ghost but I have never seen anything happen personally until now.

My mom was visiting and she and my then 3 year old son had a “camp out” in our finished basement. She woke up around 2 and my son was laying next to her with his eyes wide open and told her he couldn’t fall asleep because “those two men over by the water heater are talking too loud and seem really mad about something”.

She grabbed my son and ran upstairs and jumped right in bed with me- scared my husband to death. We no longer live there.

I love these kind of stories. I really don't have a story of my own but a girl I went to highschool with lived in a house that was haunted after she got married. It was a friendly ghost, I guess. She would buy groceries and put them away, then come back into the kitchen and they'd be back on the counter. Or only all canned goods would be out. Or only boxed goods etc. her purse would be laying in the middle of the floor. She'd set the table and then the silverware would be upside down later. She never saw anything moving. This stuff happened all the time. She was having a rough day one time and she put everything away and then said really loudly : NOT TODAY! I'M HAVING A BAD DAY! Do not mess with me today! PLEASE!

And nothing happened that day.

They eventually moved. I think she got used to it. It was more pranks than anything else. It wore her out. I wonder if it was a child ghost.

I've only had one strange thing happen to me, and I'll never forget it. Still get goosebumps when I think about it.

My aunt passed away about 6 years ago. Maybe 6 months after she passed a cousin of mine (not her child) sent me a message on FB that just said "Aunt so and so". I responded..."what about her?" He responded "what about who?!" I said you just send me a message that said Aunt so and so....he says no I didn't!! I said hello with an emoji. I screenshot my message that clearly said aunt so and so...he screen shot his that said Hello and a smiley face.

No clue how that happened or why.

Great stories everyone! I'm sure there are more...please share!

OK, I'll tell you another one. This happened to my grandparents...

They were newly married, and one night, they heard a racket in their back yard. Thinking someone had broken in they decided to go to the police (small town, no phone, police within a short walk). When they turned a corner they could see their backyard...and they saw two lights, (I don't remember if they were like a balls or fire) floating around. When they reached the police station, my grandfather's jaw was shaking, so my grandmother told him "Don't say anything, I'll do the talking. It's no good that they see you like this". Now I don't know what they told the police, or what the police did about it, but they always swore up and down what they saw was true.

My grandmother died when I was a kid, but I'm sure she was an honest woman. My grandfather lived well into my adulthood, and I never knew him to lie, and make up stories. Why would he lie about this?

I'v always wondered what happened that night.

This one is a little fuzzy, but I remember the gist.

In high school, a few of my teachers (they were all in the English department teaching various years) were good friends. They were all mutually interested in the paranormal and formed a ghost research group, along with some like-minded folks outside of school.* They are all lovely people.

Apparently on one "tour" (they go on investigations), Ang was looking in the mirror at this old house, and she was wearing a blouse with a string bow tied on the front. She watched in the mirror as the bow untied itself. They played back the audio during that time of the investigation and heard voices like small children giggling or saying something. They thought this happened to Ang because she is a "maternal figure," i.e. I think she's the only mom in the group. They thought a child ghost was playing with her clothes.

*apparently the group is still somewhat active in investigations.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter