It's all RONALD MCDONALD'S fault . . .

Deb in IA

Knows that KIDS are better
or, if you are FAT, just SUE SOMEONE . . .

Fat Suit Filed

Fast-Food Chains Blamed for Obesity, Illnesses

By Geraldine Sealey

July 25 — Some failed dieters blame will power. A class-action lawsuit filed in New York City on Wednesday claims fast-food chains knowingly serve meals that cause obesity and associated illnesses.

Caesar Barber, 57, who reportedly weighs 250 pounds and stands 5-foot-10, claims four chains — McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's and KFC — have jeopardized his health with their greasy, salty fare. He filed the lawsuit in the New York State Supreme Court in the Bronx on behalf of the potentially millions of obese and ill Americans who also feast on fast food.
Barber's lawsuit is the first broad-based action taken against the fast food industry.

"This lawsuit has the potential to put the fast food companies on the run," said John Banzhaf, a professor at George Washington University Law School, who has worked on tobacco litigation and will serve as an adviser to Barber.

The fast food companies, "negligently, recklessly, carelessly and/or intentionally engaged in the distribution, ownership, retail, manufacture, sale, marketing and/or production of food products that are high in fat, salt, sugar, and cholesterol content which numerous studies have shown cause obesity, diabetes, coronary heart disease, high blood pressure, strokes, elevated cholesterol intake, related cancers, and/or other detrimental and adverse health effects and/or diseases," reads the complaint filed by lead attorney Samuel Hirsch.

As a result of the fast food companies' actions, Barber suffered injuries — he has had two heart attacks and is diabetic — and is entitled to unspecified damages at a jury trial, the lawsuit reads.

A food industry spokesman says he is surprised Barber's lawyer can make his legal argument with a straight face.

"He must be aware that fully two-thirds of all foods consumed in America are consumed in people's homes. Is he proposing that we sue America's moms?" said John Doyle, co-founder of Center for Consumer Freedom, a restaurant industry group.

More troubling is the implication the lawsuit makes about the abilities of Americans to choose what they eat, Doyle said. "To win his suit he has to convince a jury or a judge that people are too stupid to feed themselves or their children. If people are so stupid, should they be allowed to vote or go to work in the morning?"

Can Juries Be Convinced?

There have been at least three previous, narrower lawsuits against the food industry.

McDonald's just settled a $12 million lawsuit and apologized for wrongly describing its French fries as vegetarian. A similar lawsuit was filed against Pizza Hut for allegedly using beef fat in its Veggie Lovers' Pizza.

Another class action law suit claims that the makers of the corn and rice puff snack food "Pirates' Booty" under-represented its fat content by more than 340 percent.

But Barber's lawsuit is the first known legal action to claim that the fast food industry has contributed knowingly to the problem of obesity in America. The U.S. surgeon general said in a report last December that obesity kills an estimated 300,000 Americans each year.

Lawyers, including Banzhaf, have been working on strategies to hold the food industry at least partly responsible for obesity-related costs, just as plaintiff's attorneys have successfully sued tobacco companies for smoking-related illnesses.

The surgeon general estimated that obesity cost us $117 billion just last year.

But even Banzhaf, who has led the charge against the food industry so far, realizes the high hurdle he and plaintiffs such as Barber face in convincing a jury, and the general public, that fat is the fault of corporate America.

"We know from the tobacco litigation that initial suits have real difficulties because the public has real problems accepting new ideas and new concepts," he said. "It took us many years to get us to the point of educating juries about tobacco, so now they are. [Barber's suit] has a great deal of potential."

For its part, McDonald's released a statement calling Barber's lawsuit frivolous.

"Common sense tells you that it makes no sense. McDonald's serves quality food. Our menu features choice and variety with lots of options for consumers," reads the statement.

Comprehensive nutritional information is available at the fast food restaurants and on the company's Web site, the statement read.

Yes another "it's not my fault or it's someone else's responsibility" lawsuit. Will they ever end? :rolleyes:

I guess this proves that any idiot can fille a lawsuit.:rolleyes:

Just blame the clown with the deep pockets. Typical. They DO serve salads at McDonalds. It's not the clown's fault he didn't order them.:rolleyes:

McDonald's just settled a $12 million lawsuit and apologized for wrongly describing its French fries as vegetarian. A similar lawsuit was filed against Pizza Hut for allegedly using beef fat in its Veggie Lovers' Pizza.

Another class action law suit claims that the makers of the corn and rice puff snack food "Pirates' Booty" under-represented its fat content by more than 340 percent.

Those 3 have merit....

I've personally never has a worker at Mc D's Burger King, Taco Bell or KFC try to shove the food, I just chose and paid MY money for, down my throat.

Freaking nut jobs... I thinkt he Fast food industries and jurors, attney, judge, baliff etc. should sue him for slander and for wasting their time.

Oh PUH-LEEZE! :rolleyes:

So I'm going to sue Mickey Mouse because it's all because of him and his co-horts that we spend so much $$ every year to go to Disney. Not to mention all the time I spend on these $%#&$ boards (j/k!) and now my neck hurts, my butt is getting bigger, and my fingers hurt from typing responses.

Anyone know a good lawyer? :)

Jill

Even scarier - a lot of legal scholars believe that he just might win, if he gets heavy, corporate-America hating jurors into the box.

Oh how EVIL McDonald's must be! To drive to this guy's house, tie him up and FORCE their food down his throat......constantly. That poor victim!

I love how no one is responsible for their own choices anymore.

'I lack common sense and will power. Maybe I can get rich!'

HELLO,.............just another sign of the ABDICATION of personal responsibility in our society:( :( :( :( :( :( .......

EROS,

I couldn't agree with you more. I don't understand the "It's not my fault" mentality. We all bear responsibility for our actions. That is how I was raised and that is how I am raising my kids.
I really can't believe this guy actually said he didn't know that eating all that fried food every week wouldn't effect his cholesterol and his health!! GIVE ME A BREAK!

Give me a break! Yeah, right, the fast food joints FORCE you to go in, choose a meal and then eat it. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by EROS
HELLO,.............just another sign of the ABDICATION of personal responsibility in our society:( :( :( :( :( :( .......
"Responsibility? What's that?!" - MxPx

They do serve foods that are relatively healthy at the fast food chains. This guy just wants to make someone else (a rich company, of course) pay for his poor choices. Oh brother! :rolleyes:

I'm overweight and PLEASE!!!!! Every time I go to Sonic I order what I want and I eat it. No one forces me to go there...I could stay home and eat baked chicken and salad. I eat fast food because I want it. It will be sad it he wins...it really will. People like me who are overweight have no one but themselves to blame.

Originally posted by preshi

When I was doing Weight Watchers, we all (everyone in my group) bought a lot of Pirate's Booty. We were pretty upset when they changed the nutritional info (to make it accurate). Now no one buys it anymore when before stores were selling out as soon as it hit the shelves. :eek: Karma.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter