Ithaca College

Happy Dumbo Fan

Earning My Ears
I wanted to know what informed people know about the town of Ithaca, NY and/or about Ithaca College. I am seriously considering going there this fall and I wanted the inside scoop if I could get it. Like, food, dorms, the people, professors, social scene and whatever else. I am majoring in theater and I'm also interested in journalism and photography. All help is greatly appreciated! Thanks! :sunny:

u sound like my friend! he wants to go there and major in theater as well. its a beautiful town and right next to cornell.

do you know if he wants to go as a musical theater major BFA or drama BA? I'm going for a BA in drama and am feeling very apprehensive about the lack of stage time with professors.

I don't know anything about the school or the town, but their hockey fans are a bunch of jerks. (or at least, when they were threatening me and trying to fight me because I was cheering for their opponent, they seemed like jerks)

I went to Ithaca College for 3 years, before I ended up leaving and moving down here for an assortment of reasons. I LOVED it there. It was so much better than the little podunk town in NH where I'm from. There are a few personal reasons why Ithaca was perfect for me...

My first year was okay, but things really started to roll during my Sophomore year when I became an RA. I had SO much fun with that. Met so many new people, it was such a blast.

Places to live... the dorms are decent, nothing special. I lived in both the Upper and Lower Quads, both of which were very close to classes. Junior year I moved to the West Tower, which was a bit further away, but I loved the view. The Terraces are the furthest away, and a pain to get to, but for some reason, people like them. You have to remember though, the campus is built on a hill, so there are lots of snowy and icy steps to walk up. Emerson is the nicest place to live, but it's also one of the furthest away from everything. Very few freshmen get to live here. When I was there, Boothroyd (aka "The Boot") was the Freshmen only dorm. It was kind of... blah. Plus, it was out of the way.

Food choices.. don't know how things have changed, but the dining halls were very decent. The Terraces was the best, and had a HUGE variety of different things to eat. The Towers was good too, plus, I could walk down in my slippers if I wanted to... There's also lots of late night delivery places. Rogan's Pizza was great... or... God's Gift to College Students -- DP DOUGH. The worlds best calzone place, with over like, 50 different flavors. SO GOOD. That's probably what I miss the most about Ithaca.

Classes... eh, they got in the way of college life, but were decent. Professors were always great to me. www.ratemyprofessor.com is the best. (by the way, avoid Jane Vogel at *ALL* costs)

I highly recommend having your own car to get around town. There are buses, but a car is so much better. Snow tires are also handy. Ithaca the town is a very... umm... alternative town. The townies are, um, interesting. It's all good though. With Cornell on the opposite hill, Ithaca is a big time college town. LOTS of good things going on at all times. Plus, Syracuse isn't far away at all.

*sigh* I miss IC now... :( :(

By the way, it should be noted that Bob Iger is an IC alum. :)

I attended Ithaca College for a summer arts program back when I was in High School. Their Photo Lab is amazing! Lots of equipment, and plently of room. The professors from Ithaca that were there were wonderful, and had I ended up majoring in photography (I ended up a theater major) Ithaca would have been high on my list. The one concern I had about it is that the school is not accredited, which could be a problem if for any reason you wanted to transfer. Good luck deciding on a school!

Thanks for the info and advice. I felt really good about it before the whole not accredited bit, I think I need to look into that. But thanks, I would rather know now than later!

I went to Ithaca also... for 3 semesters... back in the early 90's. I ended up transferring to Syracuse b/c I changed my major from Film/Photo to Public Relations/Journalism. Either school would have been great for this but I chose to transfer for other reasons NOT related to IC. I loved it there... Had a great experience. If you find you are happy with the program of study they will offer (not sure how to advise you on the theatre dept b/c I wasn't in that)... you will be happy with the rest of it. I was in Holmes Hall and Hudson Heights... loved Holmes! Centrally located to everything...

minmate said:
I ended up transferring to Syracuse b/c I changed my major from Film/Photo to Public Relations/Journalism.

Side tracking a bit here ... I'm another SU person here ... horrible football, but decent basketball and great lacrosse. Plus a pretty nice campus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter