It’s a wheelchair and I’m a grown adult

voxparse

Abide
Anyone else feel off when CM calls your wheelchair a chariot or whatever nonsense they think fits the theme of their ride? Wheelchairs have existed for a very long time and even if they hadn’t would the first thing you thought to call it be a wheeled chair? I get why they do it but there is a very big problem with infantilizing people with disabilities and the language choice feels unnecessary especially when interacting with adults.

Anyone else feel off when CM calls your wheelchair a chariot or whatever nonsense they think fits the theme of their ride? Wheelchairs have existed for a very long time and even if they hadn’t would the first thing you thought to call it be a wheeled chair? I get why they do it but there is a very big problem with infantilizing people with disabilities and the language choice feels unnecessary especially when interacting with adults.
to me and yes I can be using a wheelchair/ECV but I see no difference in call people Princess or Prince. and that happens all the time

My gripe is when other adults look at me in my ECV and then tell someone in their party "I should have gotten one of those!"
I have aggressive rheumatoid arthritis and cannot physically manage the parks. I would trade ANYTHING to not need this ECV.

To the best of my recollection that's only ever happened to me at the Haunted Mansion and I wondered why the CM was referring to wheels in that manner. Didn't think it was negative, but I can see how it can be perceived. I actually cringe every time a CM calls me "friend" because it seems so forced and find that more off putting then the chariot comments. Then again I guess it's better than pointing and saying HEY YOU.

To the best of my recollection that's only ever happened to me at the Haunted Mansion and I wondered why the CM was referring to wheels in that manner. Didn't think it was negative, but I can see how it can be perceived. I actually cringe every time a CM calls me "friend" because it seems so forced and find that more off putting then the chariot comments. Then again I guess it's better than pointing and saying HEY YOU.
We rode HM quite a few times so maybe my problems was more over exposure than anything.

It's all part of the "magic" of Disney. There are a LOT of folks there who are part-time users; many never need a mobility device except during their trips to WDW. So to them, a CM calling their rental ECV a "chariot" or a "land speeder" is kinda funny, and all part of the Disney bubble. In 50+ years of regular attendance at WDW, I have never seen or heard a CM call anyone's mobility device (or stroller, for that matter) anything that could be construed as intentionally offensive or mean.

To those of us who are full-time permanent mobility device users, it can be a bit less... charming, unless you are ready to play along with the CMs. Most of my family is autistic, so they are mortified at the idea of "participation" at WDW, but I enjoy it whenever the opportunity presents itself. I am always there to act my shoe size, and not my age!

Probably what bothers me most is when I get this from another Guest (usually with a certain amount of snark) "Must be *nice* to be able to sit down..." Yeah, no, it's not. I would literally trade everything I own to be able to walk independently again, and to never have to use a mobility device again. But sure, I drive this stupidly expensive chair because I'm too lazy to be bothered to walk... 🙄

Personally, I don't mind being called "friend"; we noticed that Disney started using "Friend" during the pandemic when CMs were trying to remind folks to keep their masks on. So, I'm guessing that "Hey friend, please keep your mask on" just sounded... more friendly than "Yo, dude pull up that mask!" 😉

I don't see it as a very big problem - you are at a theme park, not a business park. If you are hearing more than one CM use the term, I bet it's part of the training. It's okay to be sensitive about it, but why is calling your wheelchair a chariot "infantilizing people with disabilities"?

We rode HM quite a few times so maybe my problems was more over exposure than anything.

If you mean this label was used only by HM CMs, I'd think it consistent with their thematic roles.

That their costumes suggest the 19th century also leads me to think that "chariot" may be their in-character label for your wheelchair.

I can't stand being called "friend" either. Just say hello, or say hello everyone - no need to add "friend". I think it sounds so forced. I do realize it's to be inclusive, however it just bugs me.

I don't see it as a very big problem - you are at a theme park, not a business park. If you are hearing more than one CM use the term, I bet it's part of the training. It's okay to be sensitive about it, but why is calling your wheelchair a chariot "infantilizing people with disabilities"?
There is a long history of disabled people being infantilized and talked down to or ignored altogether. Examples are being spoken to like a child as an adult because it is assumed understanding is impaired. Or another example is someone asking other adults around you questions that you can answer directly “what would Voxparse like for dinner?”. Hey slow down you’ll get a speeding ticket. You’re so lucky to have a chair. That must be fun.

I can go on but you get the point. The chariot comment is not an issue in a vacuum but after a life of lived experiences where being treated different is common, the joke lands poorly. All that said, it isn’t even funny or clever.

I suspect the difficulty of finding a sufficiently non-gendered term governed the choice of "friend" when addressing an individual.

English unfortunately lacks any courteous forms of address that don't involve gender.

For more than one person, a CM could use "folks" or "everyone." But, there isn't as yet any polite way to address one person that doesn't imply acquaintance.

Last edited:
Not a mobility device user myself, but I see you and I hear you.

Infantilizing and accidental condescension toward people with disabilities is absolutely real, and goes back a long time. My friend uses a wheelchair and the number of times people look at ME to speak for her (assuming she can't communicate) is frustrating for her.

There is a long history of disabled people being infantilized and talked down to or ignored altogether. Examples are being spoken to like a child as an adult because it is assumed understanding is impaired. Or another example is someone asking other adults around you questions that you can answer directly “what would Voxparse like for dinner?”. Hey slow down you’ll get a speeding ticket. You’re so lucky to have a chair. That must be fun.

I can go on but you get the point. The chariot comment is not an issue in a vacuum but after a life of lived experiences where being treated different is common, the joke lands poorly. All that said, it isn’t even funny or clever.

I don't think it's intended to be a joke, but I do firmly believe that CMs have aimed squarely at those who they believe may not be typical mobility device users; those folks are often grieving the sudden loss of their mobility and perceived independence at this most Magical Place during their vacation that was supposed to be perfect, just like on the TV commercials. It's an effort - however poorly thought through you might find it - to actually make them feel less unhappy about the situation, and to help them create a positive memory out of the need to utilize a mobility device on their vacation. The Guest goes home and tells everyone how cute it was that the CMs called it their "chariot", or their "land speeder" or whatever. It puts a smile on someone's face for a while, and makes them feel like they are just a bit special, as opposed to feeling sad, mad or even despondent about the situation. It is literally intended to be harmless.

Lord knows, (as do all my friends here) that I *ugly cried* the first time I had to use an ECV at WDW. I thought the world was ending. (Yes, there was a certain amount of drama, to be fair). We were staying over at POFQ, and the 2nd or 3rd night we went up to POR for the evening to see YeeHaw Bob. As we passed by the horse-and-carriage ride, the driver said "Oh, look at that magic buggy! She needs no horses at all!" It was the first time a CM "played" with me when I was using the dreaded, hateful device, and yes - it did make a difference to me, and my memories of that trip.

But there was another side of things back then. If you don't remember the "old days"at WDW, I'm really, genuinely glad for you.

Believe it or not, when I first started using a mobility device at WDW (which was where I first had to use one) the moment I sat down in that ECV, 90% of the CMs never spoke directly to me again on that entire trip. My family kept trying to redirect them to speak to me, to ask me questions. Back then, it apparently never occurred to Disney that if you have to use wheels, you don't automatically lose your ability to hear! But 10+ years on, that is no longer an issue at WDW for me; CMs speak directly to me, and recognize me as an independent human. They ask thoughtful questions about my needs regarding transfer or other accommodation. It is a whole different World now, and I feel that it has changed for the better. Is it perfect? No. Might never be, but we are all a work in progress.

I choose to "play" with the CMs when I am at WDW. I get to do that, because they treat me like any other person in the Parks. Just like they might compliment someone else's custom Disney shirt, or a cool backpack, I often get compliments on my personal mobility device, sometimes because of how it looks, or at night because of the undercarriage lighting. I don't mind. It's an extension of *me*. It replaces my legs. So yeah, I'll take a compliment. I'll play along, and spin my "land speeder" for the Storm Troopers. I'm not in the real world; I'm playing in the Disney Bubble; for once, I'm having fun both *in* my chair and *with* my chair.

I decided a long time ago that I could not go through life bitter and angry because I have a degenerative issue that is slowly robbing me of myself. I can't change that, and I count myself fortunate that I have a great medical team, and I live in a time when technology continues to advance mobility devices to be more practical, more comfortable and more available. I know that there are still injustices in the world; that there are places where we - those of us who are full-time device users - are treated horribly, and are often the target of disrespect, shame and even overt sabotage of our devices. But that's not what's happening at Disney World.

Join in the fun, or ignore it. Shoot, wear a t-shirt that says "Please don't call my wheelchair anything but a wheelchair!" if you want. But don't ruin someone else's fun. There's enough folks in this world right now ready to do that. Let's don't do it to each other.

I don't think it's intended to be a joke, but I do firmly believe that CMs have aimed squarely at those who they believe may not be typical mobility device users; those folks are often grieving the sudden loss of their mobility and perceived independence at this most Magical Place during their vacation that was supposed to be perfect, just like on the TV commercials. It's an effort - however poorly thought through you might find it - to actually make them feel less unhappy about the situation, and to help them create a positive memory out of the need to utilize a mobility device on their vacation. The Guest goes home and tells everyone how cute it was that the CMs called it their "chariot", or their "land speeder" or whatever. It puts a smile on someone's face for a while, and makes them feel like they are just a bit special, as opposed to feeling sad, mad or even despondent about the situation. It is literally intended to be harmless.

Lord knows, (as do all my friends here) that I *ugly cried* the first time I had to use an ECV at WDW. I thought the world was ending. (Yes, there was a certain amount of drama, to be fair). We were staying over at POFQ, and the 2nd or 3rd night we went up to POR for the evening to see YeeHaw Bob. As we passed by the horse-and-carriage ride, the driver said "Oh, look at that magic buggy! She needs no horses at all!" It was the first time a CM "played" with me when I was using the dreaded, hateful device, and yes - it did make a difference to me, and my memories of that trip.

But there was another side of things back then. If you don't remember the "old days"at WDW, I'm really, genuinely glad for you.

Believe it or not, when I first started using a mobility device at WDW (which was where I first had to use one) the moment I sat down in that ECV, 90% of the CMs never spoke directly to me again on that entire trip. My family kept trying to redirect them to speak to me, to ask me questions. Back then, it apparently never occurred to Disney that if you have to use wheels, you don't automatically lose your ability to hear! But 10+ years on, that is no longer an issue at WDW for me; CMs speak directly to me, and recognize me as an independent human. They ask thoughtful questions about my needs regarding transfer or other accommodation. It is a whole different World now, and I feel that it has changed for the better. Is it perfect? No. Might never be, but we are all a work in progress.

I choose to "play" with the CMs when I am at WDW. I get to do that, because they treat me like any other person in the Parks. Just like they might compliment someone else's custom Disney shirt, or a cool backpack, I often get compliments on my personal mobility device, sometimes because of how it looks, or at night because of the undercarriage lighting. I don't mind. It's an extension of *me*. It replaces my legs. So yeah, I'll take a compliment. I'll play along, and spin my "land speeder" for the Storm Troopers. I'm not in the real world; I'm playing in the Disney Bubble; for once, I'm having fun both *in* my chair and *with* my chair.

I decided a long time ago that I could not go through life bitter and angry because I have a degenerative issue that is slowly robbing me of myself. I can't change that, and I count myself fortunate that I have a great medical team, and I live in a time when technology continues to advance mobility devices to be more practical, more comfortable and more available. I know that there are still injustices in the world; that there are places where we - those of us who are full-time device users - are treated horribly, and are often the target of disrespect, shame and even overt sabotage of our devices. But that's not what's happening at Disney World.

Join in the fun, or ignore it. Shoot, wear a t-shirt that says "Please don't call my wheelchair anything but a wheelchair!" if you want. But don't ruin someone else's fun. There's enough folks in this world right now ready to do that. Let's don't do it to each other.
Thank you 🙏

I was more “offended” when on the last trip they called my 55yr old self “your majesty” instead of princess for the first time lol. I really laughed and commented “dang I must now be old” to my daughter who honestly really thinks she is a princess at 19 and agreed that I was old. I was also “offended” when they didn’t card me for alcohol. (Note not offended at all but I pretended to my daughter that I was by these things. Really just thought they were funny at the time and still do)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter