Is travel insurance worth it for packages?

gumdrop

<font color=FF66FF>Believes in Magic!<br><font col
Hi everyone!

I just booked my Fairytale Package for 6 nights at CBR! I decided to give up waiting for room codes and just went for it. I didn't include travel insurance because I am really trying to cut costs as much as possible, but....do you think this was a good move? This is also my very first time using a package, so I'm not sure if I'll need the extra security of travel insurance. Just wanted to see how many of you go for the insurance or not. Thanks for any replies!!

--Maren :earsgirl:

I usually don't take insurance except when I book packages or cruises. My reason is that when you pay 45 days (or longer on cruises) ahead of time, you don't know what may happen during that time. Having the insurance is peace of mind for me.

I look at it this way. If I purchase the insurance its $34.95 per adult. So that is $69.90 for 2 adults. If you cancel after your final payment, the minimum cancellation fee is $100. So I am already saving $30 if I have to cancel for unforseen circumstances. If you cancel less then 21 days before arrival, now the fee goes up to $200.

Now when the cancellation is only a few days before arrival like with Disney Club, I don't take the insurance.

I am also wondering what to do about the trip insurance on a package. I have not booked the FTP but rather have booked a trip in mid December for DH and I to celebrate our 10th anniversary. I have booked it using my DC info which allows me to cancel 5 days out but I still have concerns. You see, I live in Minnesota (can you say snow). Now we don't usually get that much snow in December (we get pounded later in the frigid season). I am actually considering purchasing the insurance this time due to the chance that something (snow delay) could happen with our flight.

I would also love to hear people's opinions on purchasing the trip insurance and if it has helped them at all.

I'm booking FTP for my parents room only and yes I would get the insurance when paying that far in advance. Who knows what may pop up at the last minute. It also covers if your trip is disrupted mid-week which is nice or lost luggage etc.

Does it cover airline delays or lost luggage if you don't book the airfare through Disney? I'll be booking airfare on my own through SW -- better rates and a non-stop flight. Disney couldn't offer anything N/S and I don't feel like being on a plane all day.

I'm one of those who never buys travel insurance. There are instances when it turns out to be a wonderful thing. Many companies (like cruises) will work with you and let you change dates if something truly tragic or extreme happens regardless of the cancellation penalties. That's where a good TA is invaluable. For my dh's grandma, travel insurance was a necessity, even if it was just for a flight. For us it's just throwing money down the drain, because we are going. All the travel insurance I've declined would make up for if I ever ran into cancellation fees. It's a gamble that nothing tragic will happen, but we're in good health, so it's not a big risk. As a former TA, most people declined the insurance, especially if they were younger. I don't recall having a client who had to utilize their insurance, but I did hear horror stories about people who should've bought it, and I did believe in its merits. Now I'm on the other end of the booking. IMHO Honeymooners should buy travel insurance, as should seniors. For the rest of us, it's highly unlikely that we'll need it. It's a money-maker for tour operators. If you need it for peace of mind or have any situation in your family that makes you suspicious you have a decent chance of cancelling, then you should certainly think twice before declining.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter