• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is this REALLY true??

Originally posted by dcedwards
they almost have to restrict access. If for some reason they did not do this and a guest who was just exploring got hurt the liability would be tremendous. On the other hand if you block access, post signs and do everything in your power to protect the public's safety...then responsibility shifts to the individual.

You're right, I wouldn't ever expect Disney would permit guests to casually stroll around the closed FQ buildings. Yes, that would be a lawsuit waiting to happen. If Disney is planning a refurbishment, it would be even more important to keep people out of a "construction site". Also, before this I was thinking the closure would be relatively short-term; elaborate fencing (viewblocks?) suggests something long-term.

What I was really thinking when I said that was blocking the Sassagoula River, closing down passage by both rental boats from Riverside and Downtown Disney water transportation. This seems unecessary merely to "secure" the FQ complex; there are other places on WDW waters where people can access closed-off or non-public areas (Discovery Island, for one) but the waterway remains "open". Actually, the most compelling reason I can think of to block the river is to hide the closed resort ("bad show") from passing boats.

hopemax I agree with you. I posted this on another thread, but we were there in August and my husband commented to me that he thought they would be closing POFQ soon. It was so empty. Nothing was the same as before. Both my husband and I had been wondering about this even before we were there because of all the changes that took place with PO/DXL. I believe that Disney had this planned all along. Of course I realize that this is just my opinion, but I am basing it on years of visiting PO/DXL since it was built. It was just a feeling we had especially after we were there in August.

With the closure of the POFQ resort, there will be more guests to "fill up" the new resort when it opens, since it has such a huge amount of rooms. Disney could then use the spot for POFQ for something else, and not have to worry about where all those guests will be staying. I wonder if they had the closure in mind when they were building Pop Century? It certainly could replace a couple of resorts in terms of the number of rooms, and it's price range will help help to entice more of the guests who stay offf site in order to save money in that area of their vacation budget. That way instead of losing a number of guests who would be staying at POFQ, the Disney resorts would balance and could even gain more guests from off-site hotels.
Nichole

We have a number for each attraction know as the OHRC (Operational Hourly Ride Capacity). Every hour the counts are taken either by hand or electronically from the turnstiles and alt. entrance "add one" buttons (we're still not done integrating the electronic counters, but we're close). This information is put down on a sheet. For each hour, we divide the actual attendance number by our OHRC to get our hourly percentage. Since percentages are judged by the hour and not by the day, an attraction that is open 6 hours with 90% capacity is still more highly attended than an attraction that is open for 12 hours with 60% capacity. Therefore, shortening an attraction's hours will not automatically drive the numbers down. (It would if we used a Operational Daily Ride Capacity... but we don't.) I seriously doubt (I mean SERIOUSLY) that ANYONE, especially those who are ultimately responsible for performance and attendance records, would intentionally try to make something seem less popular, in fact, the point of shortening hours is to increase the attendance per show, making it seem more popular and ultimately earning it a larger budget.

Nice explanation, Steve. Thanks :D

BTW, what has happened to On With The Show? We haven't heard form him in a while, any idea?
:cool: :cool: :bounce: :cool: :cool:

The boat ride between Dixie Landings and DD is awesome at night. It's a part of the Disney experience. By all means....keep the boats running.:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

King Triton

**--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crowds- Just back
We just returned from the 10 fun filled days at the world. The crowds were a little lighter than usual for this time of year. The parks were never "empty" and the average wait time at the rides was 20 minutes or less. Our buses were always full. We stayed 1/2 of the time at POFQ and it seemed busy to us. The food court was crowded and the pool was very crowded. The 2nd half we spent at the Poly which seemed less crowded. Each time we took the boat from POFQ to DD it was full. Also, I noticed that since the parks are closing so early, DD is VERY crowded in the evening. All in all, even with the cutbacks, we still had a GREAT time. **

It would be interesting to know when this person stayed there. We were there from Oct 13 - 20, like I stated in my original post and it was NOT crowded by any means at POFQ. DH was there from Oct 29 - Nov 1 and it wasn't either (maybe they had already moved people by then since only 48 rooms were booked). During our trip, I commented that I thought we were the only ones in Building 1 during midweek. I didn't see but maybe few people then. The pool was never crowded when we were in it. I have pix to prove that ;) Course, maybe everyone stayed out of the pool while we were there ;) DTD seemed the usual crowd. World of Disney was crowded on the 19th. I stood in line for about 15mins. We've gone the last three Octs now and this was the lightest I've seen. We went on our fall break (like the last two).

The CM's we talked with stated WDW was having attendence problems before the attack, but that after 9/11, it was much worse. On a brighter note, the CM said the holidays were looking good for attendence, so maybe hours will lengthen. Also, the room we were in did need a little TLC. Nothing bad, but just a little care. I really wish we had heard better news from the CM's we talked with and had seen better "signs" from the resort. I really liked it.

I forgot to add. We didn't ride the buses so I can't comment about it. I did, however, see there weren't that many people waiting to board. Maybe the bus had already come though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter