Is this Grand Floridian DVC Villas??!!

Wow, there goes the tennis pavillion and Disney's tennis program.....again! It used to be based at the Contemporary, then moved to the GF when they cleared the area there for BLT. When they resurfaced the courts at GF a year ago the tennis program moved to the ESPN facility. Now it's been back at GF but maybe just temporarily until (if) they start building? Kind of bummed about losing that---it was always a treat to ride by on the monorail and see my ds out there hitting.

I wonder if this is a DVC, if it might house many more grand villas for the families attending the weddings. It would make sense.

Can't wait to see how this plays out!

One monorail stop away from the MK?!?

Ok i will bite, themed pool on the roof with an MK and lake view

I am one who would like a poly style resort

bookwormde

Posted this in the other thread before I saw this longer one...

VERY interesting! I wonder if this will in any way play into the "tiered" system. That would be a plum DVC location, if in fact it is part of DVC. Since no contracts have been sold yet, DVD can set whatever rules they want. I could see this being a "restricted trade" location. One possibility might be to restrict booking to only owners for that resort for the 7-11 month window, and booking for owners of other resorts assigned to a tiered system based on the number of direct-purchase points after the 7-month mark. With a clean slate, I suppose DVD could even set this resort up for booking only by owners at that resort, and then allow trades through a separate DVD-managed program similar to the current Disney Collection booking opportunities.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Evey

Fascinating reading, but count me as one who would have no interest whatsoever staying there. GF has never appealed to me, outside of V&A's, of course. :thumbsup2

I have nothing useful to add to this thread...but the idea of being able to stay at a GF DVC thrills me...it's the only WDW resort that I really, really want to stay at that I haven't (now that I own DVC, the cost of staying there using cash seems even higher than it did when I was paying cash and choosing a resort!)...

I don't know if I'd add on or not...guess it would depend on points-cost for stays there, whether I liked it once I actually did stay there, and other uses of my existing points...

But I do know I want to follow this thread and dream fantastical dreams of a GF stay!

If they build it, I will stay there. No desire to add on though.

Same here...I can't even imagine what the price per point will be :scared1:. GF was our first trip as a family back in '98....It would be nice to stay there as part of DVC.

Posted this in the other thread before I saw this longer one...

VERY interesting! I wonder if this will in any way play into the "tiered" system. That would be a plum DVC location, if in fact it is part of DVC. Since no contracts have been sold yet, DVD can set whatever rules they want. I could see this being a "restricted trade" location. One possibility might be to restrict booking to only owners for that resort for the 7-11 month window, and booking for owners of other resorts assigned to a tiered system based on the number of direct-purchase points after the 7-month mark. With a clean slate, I suppose DVD could even set this resort up for booking only by owners at that resort, and then allow trades through a separate DVD-managed program similar to the current Disney Collection booking opportunities.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Evey

I think you could be on to something. They would probably have to restrict the booking somehow, b/c if you think about it, they would charge a fortune for the points and it would take YEARS to sell out, if ever. At 7 months they'd be filling half the rooms with people buying cheap resale points, and getting the equivolent of $120 a night for the rooms. Since the regular Garden View rooms regularly rent for $500+ a night, they won't allow this to happen. So, bookings will be restriced to GFV owners first, then some sort of tier, as in 400-500+ point holders (bought pre-3/20 or direct), then maybe a handful of rooms to whoever at say, 4 months, but nothing would even be available at this point.

I don't think the size of the building means anything. People are assuming that 6-7 stories implies this has to be DVC; I think GF would be happy selling more cash reservations, and growing their wedding or conference business. This is a HUGE cash cow for them.

The reality is, this would be a huge project that wouldn't garner much return for years. Of course they would pre-sell the points, but in this economy would they sell a lot of memberships at $150+ pp, with the buy in being something absurd b/c of the amount of points that will be needed for a room?

I think they might have a multi-use building, expand their wedding facility, etc..., and have a limited DVC "premiere collection", smaller than even BCV, b/c they have to know (especially based on BLT) that it would take YEARS to sell out at the prices they'd want to charge. Or, maybe even more likely, they would have a different arrangement than at other DVC properties, wherein they build villas for membership, but maintain a higher number for cash reservations. I know a lot of people who spend big bucks at GF, with families. One friend spends a fortune, rents suites, I told him about DVC a few months ago and he said, "Why wouldn't they have rooms like that at the GF?"

Back to your original point, they would have to tier things in a way where 150 point resale buyers will not be getting rooms, save for rare instances. This will be for direct buyers, and high, high point holders (non-post 3-20 resale).

The problem with restricting trades in is it becomes a system out of balance.

Why would the rest of DVC allow trades in from GF if they do not have an equal opportunity to get into GF?

I think a better option is just higher points than Aluani with cheaper dues than BLT (ie 2.50/point)

Lets hope IF this is going to be a DVC they step up the furnishings then what they have been doing the past couple years especially with BLT!!!! Love BLT but I have to say I have never slept in more uncomfortable beds and I was shocked when my 3 DD's in the 2nd bedroom said the same thing!

Could the other option be, this is a new wing for brand-new hotel rooms (ie this is the new concierge section to compete with 4 seasons), then after opening, DVC gets to renovate part of the "old" GF?

Told DW about this last night. Suffice to say, I better start socking some money away now because she's going to want to add on there if it ever comes to fruition.

Have only stayed at GF, for our 6 year wedding anniversary, and we've always loved the place.

Could the other option be, this is a new wing for brand-new hotel rooms (ie this is the new concierge section to compete with 4 seasons), then after opening, DVC gets to renovate part of the "old" GF?

That's an interesting idea. I have to admit, I was more excited about The river country one. GF is beautiful, but not up my alley. Fun to speculate though.

A GF DVC would totally change the vacation club for me. I would have to sell some of my existing points so I could purchase GF points (this is the only resort that would make me do this because right now I have no great preference of one resort over another). GF DVC would put me into the "buy where you want to stay camp", because I would want to stay at GF most of the time. I really think building DVC on the monorail resorts is the way to go whether it be GF, Poly, or more at BLT, it just generates more excitement for DVC in my mind.

put me in the camp of - not going to add on, but would LOVE to stay there...

this one was only a matter of time. I once said that there will be a DVC for each Deluxe except Yacht club cause of space and the beach club
already has DVC, Soon enough the Poly will get theirs, thats where I will add on.
As for the grand floridian, This one is actually a HUGEE gold mine for THe Company of DVC not the owners. They know it too (6-7 levels instead of building what they shoud to look similar the the current 3 or is it 4 levels
of the GF.
They know its a gold mine and will solicit more of the population that is rich
especially at 170.00-180.00 a point. What average middle income american can afford that. Or what average middle income household will pay that much when they can still get AKV or even BLT for a mere 120.00 a point. They are definitely building this one for the rich people.

no way on this one. There is too much profit selling this new bldg as a time share rahter than use it as a hotel.
Disney now knows DVC is a huge money maker rather than its
regular resorts, DVC soon to be EVERYWHERE baby!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter