Is this for real!?!

Madame

DIS Veteran
We have not been watching any TV since school started. We have Bell satellite. Apparently Disney Jr. no longer exists. It has been replaced by Family Jr. DisneyJr.ca no longer exists. They have eliminated all my kids favourites from the line-up. No more Miles, no more Sophia, no more Clubhouse.

Does anyone know what's going on? My kids are not happy, & to be honest I'm not thrilled either. Guess I'll be watching a lot more SpongeBob & Uncle Grandpa *sigh*

From WIKI:

On April 16, 2015, it was announced that Corus Entertainment had acquired the rights to Disney Channel's program library. Alongside its new Canadian version of Disney Channel, its sibling television brands would be eventually transitioned to new, Corus-run properties. In anticipation for this transition, DHX concurrently announced that its Disney-branded networks would be re-branded as spin-offs of Family Channel; Disney Junior was re-branded as Family Jr. on September 18, 2015

So basically welcome to the new Disney order. Going to take time and adjustments for all of us.

From WIKI:

On April 16, 2015, it was announced that Corus Entertainment had acquired the rights to Disney Channel's program library. Alongside its new Canadian version of Disney Channel, its sibling television brands would be eventually transitioned to new, Corus-run properties. In anticipation for this transition, DHX concurrently announced that its Disney-branded networks would be re-branded as spin-offs of Family Channel; Disney Junior was re-branded as Family Jr. on September 18, 2015

So basically welcome to the new Disney order. Going to take time and adjustments for all of us.
We just won't watch. Disney Jr was the only channel my kids consistently watched. We'll switch to YTV & Netflix I guess. TheDisneyChannel is apparently running episodes of Miles etc from 9-noon on weekdays only. We could DVR them, but we rarely think to watch shows we've recorded :confused3.

I'm thinking of cancelling Disney Jr, since we won't watch it any more! My son has discovered PBS & TVO Kids, so is happy to watch those, but I think he does miss some shows like Miles and Sofia. I only have the package with that channel for the one channel. Not really worth it any more. Ah well.

Yup. The response from Corus about their pathetic playing of cartoons for 2 hrs on weekday mornings was sad. They took away the rights to these shows but aren't playing them. As far as I'm concerned we have lost access to these shows in Canada. The new Disney channel is clearly aimed at a different demographic. It was tough explaining to my daughter my she couldn't watch Mickey anymore!

I am shaking my head because after years of telling Bell no, we just had Bell Sat installed on the 14th. We are still trying to figure out which channels are what, but I saw it and said to my husband oh look! We have the Disney Channel! Guess we don't now?

Yup. The response from Corus about their pathetic playing of cartoons for 2 hrs on weekday mornings was sad. They took away the rights to these shows but aren't playing them. As far as I'm concerned we have lost access to these shows in Canada. The new Disney channel is clearly aimed at a different demographic. It was tough explaining to my daughter my she couldn't watch Mickey anymore!
They can still watch Treehouse (which I'm expecting some of the shows to pop up on) and the Nick jr. block if you subscribe to those channels.

Treehouse does have dreck like Caillou and such, but it also has the excellent Peg plus Cat and (of course) Dora. And kids seem to enjoy the EXTREMELY trippy Toopy and Binoo for some reason.

I am shaking my head because after years of telling Bell no, we just had Bell Sat installed on the 14th. We are still trying to figure out which channels are what, but I saw it and said to my husband oh look! We have the Disney Channel! Guess we don't now?
Just realize that this isn't a Bell issue, it's Corus that owns the rights to Disney not Bell, or Rogers or Shaw. They just have the Corus owned channels on their service. And, you do have the Disney Channel, it replaced the Disney Jr channel because Corus replaced it, not Bell.

Just realize that this isn't a Bell issue, it's Corus that owns the rights to Disney not Bell, or Rogers or Shaw. They just have the Corus owned channels on their service. And, you do have the Disney Channel, it replaced the Disney Jr channel because Corus replaced it, not Bell.

It doesn't really matter who's fault it is. We are cancelling our dish because of this as it's the only thing we really watched. Everything else I can get elsewhere. In all honesty I was thinking of canceling it anyways as my kids are getting out of that phase.

Neither Disney Jr. nor Disney XD were the real channels originating out of the US. Astral Media (the company behind The Movie Channel) owned for many years the Family Channel (which showed lots of Disney programming) and with the popularity of Disney programming, Astral created the Canadian version Disney Jr and the Canadian version of Disney XD under license from Disney. When Bell Canada purchased Astral, Bell was forced by the CRTC to sell some of its channel assets. As a result they sold Family, Disney Jr. and Disney XD to DHX Media. DHX Media is the owner of a massive amounts of children’s programming (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_DHX_Media_programs) but this is the first TV channels they have ever owned. The Family channels’ agreement with Disney ends January so there may be a bit of overlap until then. Whether DHX had any intention of keeping the Disney license or whether ending the relationship was Disney’s idea is not clear. In any event, over time we will probably see some of the Disney Jr. programming on other Corus channels with even some possibility for re-brands.

My kids love TVO and PBS. We no longer have cable. We watch those channels on an antenna and then we have Sling via the internet to get US channels like HGTV, Disney JR, ABC Family, Disney etc. Cut the cord 9 months ago and never looked back.

This may or may not be relevant but it looks like Family Jr got dropped as an HD channel on Shaw Direct.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter