Is this board censored from any criticism?

Absolutely not. You'll find plenty of constructive criticism of Disney and Disney policies here, along with lots of Disney Magic.

Once in a while you'll also see bitter, hurtful people lashing out with nothing but anger and hatred, but thankfully selective breeding keeps their numbers at a minimum.

Welcome to the DisBoards.
As you now know your post criticizing All Star Sports was not deleted or blocked by the Admin.
Sorry you had some issues during your stay the ALL Stars.
My stays have always been wonderful.
I love being able to take a bus from All Stars and get to Epcot ,MGM, or
AK in 10 minutes.
The MK is 20 minutes away but it takes also takes 20 minutes to get to the MK from the Comtemporary using the monorail.
Hope you enjoyed your time in the parks!
Linda ::MinnieMo

I think as long as you abide by the posting guidelines you will be fine. I have had a moderator edit a post( I did something I wasn't susposed to do) but really it was for my own protection. ANd they were very nice about it. Since Dizboards is a seperate entity from Disney I am sure you can post your opinion, but there used to be a debate board and that was closed a long time ago...I have posted about my good and bad experiences, and you are going to have people who respond in kind or can't understand what you are talking about. Most are wonderful...just look at Will :cheer2:
I did not see the post Minnie61650 mentioned, but at least she was being friendly. Good Luck to you and your posting. :sunny:

WillCAD said:
Absolutely not. You'll find plenty of constructive criticism of Disney and Disney policies here, along with lots of Disney Magic.

Once in a while you'll also see bitter, hurtful people lashing out with nothing but anger and hatred, but thankfully selective breeding keeps their numbers at a minimum.
Will I thought your counter was higher than that(674)!!! :rotfl: I thought it was in the thousands...I always love your posts! :banana:

minnie61650 said:
Welcome to the DisBoards.
As you now know your post criticizing All Star Sports was not deleted or blocked by the Admin.
Sorry you had some issues during your stay the ALL Stars.
My stays have always been wonderful.
I love being able to take a bus from All Stars and get to Epcot ,MGM, or
AK in 10 minutes.
Themkis20 minutes but it takes also takes 20 minutes to get to MK from the Comtemporary using the monorail.
Hope you enjoyed your time in the parks!

I guess you told him!! :badpc: :rotfl2: :p
All my stays have been wonderful too :wave2:

"keep coming back, it works if you work it"

I had a negative post removed yesterday regarding the sweatshops in China story in the news.I think it happens more than we realize.

shelby_36 said:
I had a negative post removed yesterday regarding the sweatshops in China story in the news.I think it happens more than we realize.

I've seen a couple of posts disappear also.
The ones I noticed that disappeared were not because of the OP's
negative experience but because of some the hostile flames that were hurled at the OP.
Actually I think the MODERATORS do a very good trying to keep these boards helpful and friendly.

shelby_36 said:

We have to also realize that with the huge number of posts per day on the DIS Boards, some of them inevitably get lost due to server errors, database errors, accidental deletion by a moderator, or just plain bad karma.

I used to be a moderator on another site that doesn't exist any more, and our guidelines were pretty simple; we only removed whole threads, not individual posts, and only did so when the thread contained profanity, personal attacks, outright lies, or someone's personal information (some newbies don't realize that it's a bad idea to post your home address or phone number on the open boards!) Going by what I have seen on the DIS since I joined, I believe the DIS moderators operate with similar guidelines.

So if a thread seems to dissapear, don't jump to the conclusion that it's been pulled because somebody disagreed with what you said. First, do a search for the thread - it may have sunk onto page 2 or 3 and you're just not seeing it, or it may have been moved to another board within the site.

If your search comes up empty, PM the moderator of the board where you posted it, and ask politely if it was pulled, and why. The post may not have been pulled, it may simply have been lost.

If your post was actually pulled, don't automatically assume it was because of what YOU said - it may have been pulled because of something that someone posted in a reply. If so, you might not get a PM about it when it happens, but I'll bet that the person who posted something so bad it had to be pulled will get a PM or email from the moderator who pulls it!

And when it comes down to it, if you did indeed post something that got pulled, and you are told so in no uncertain terms by a moderator, just remember that this board is not a public forum. Message boards like the DIS are owned and operated by private individuals, just like magazines and newspapers, and as such the owners are free to legally censor their content at their own discretion. This means that they are under no legal or ethical obligation to publish anything, just like a magazine editor is under no obligation to publish any letters you might send in.

Some folks think that having a post pulled from a board like the DIS is a form of censorship, and is illegal or unethical, but that is a mistaken belief. Boards of this kind are private property, and all the messages on them are there only because the owners grant permission for them to be there, just like homeowners granting permission for politcal ads on their lawns, or business owners granting permission for business or personal ads in their stor windows.

In each of those examples, the owner of the property, whenther it is a home, a business, or a web site, is fully within his rights to remove any content they wish, or to deny permission to display content to anyone who asks.

I had a post removed a short while back - it was in response to someone else bashsing me and harrassing me prior to that and I just lost my cool. (the other persons always think their way is the right way and nothing else counts - and actually they have had similar situations with other posters on other threads). I just wanted everyone to know that I just wasn't going to take it anymore.

I actually had some very nice PM's about it and it sure made me feel good.

They also removed the other persons (more than one) posts also. And that was fine with me, because I sure got my intentions heard. Some people think they are nice and yet they are horrible people and it eventually comes out.

I think the moderators do a very good job at watching all the threads. They know what is out there.

Well in my case it was s simple article on the Disney Sweatshops in china. I did not comment on it. One person answered and asked if i was sure the article was legit. and a second post thanked me for posting it..both very civil posts.

I think it was interesting that it was potentially very anti disney and it was removed within 10 minutes of me posting it..while we were in the middle of discussing. It makes you think.

it is very easy to imagine Disney's benefit to keeping the boards reasonably "clean" so to speak. People here downplay greatly any negative aspects of Disney.... to the extent of lines, crowds, cm help, etc.

shelby_36 said:
Well in my case it was s simple article on the Disney Sweatshops in china. I did not comment on it. One person answered and asked if i was sure the article was legit. and a second post thanked me for posting it..both very civil posts.

I think it was interesting that it was potentially very anti disney and it was removed within 10 minutes of me posting it..while we were in the middle of discussing. It makes you think.

it is very easy to imagine Disney's benefit to keeping the boards reasonably "clean" so to speak. People here downplay greatly any negative aspects of Disney.... to the extent of lines, crowds, cm help, etc.

Yes, it would certainly bennefit Disney to downplay any negativity about their products and services. And they certainly keep a very tight leash on what is published in the official guidebook and on Disney-owned web sites.

However, the DIS is not owned, operated, controlled or influenced by DIsney in any way I am aware of.

Your post dissapearing within 10 minutes of posting sounds more like a database glitch than a removal to me.

Why don't you re-post the article and see what happens.

I'm also sure if it was deleted intentionally the moderators would have good reason for it. For example if there is a chance the story was not true (and I did not read it so I don't know exactly what it was but I get the gist) the DIS would not want to be responsible either legally or ethically for spreading that kind of news. Just a thought.

Myst

TheDizDad said:
I am wondering if anything critical of Disney is deleted or blocked by Admin.

I don't think the DIS moderators censor this type of post, but some of the DIS members are mighty sensitive to anything negative about Disney.

shelby_36 said:

Shelby_36,

I found your post simply by left clicking on your name and left clicking on "Find more posts by Shelby_36". The path showed it was in "The DIS Discussion Forums > Just for Fun > Community Board" forum. Perhaps it was simply moved from the place you originally posted, or it was inadvertently removed and put back once the error/problem was figured out.

Hope this helps.

That was my second post you found. I did repost the article and that one appears to have stayed , for the time being. I am aware Diney does not own this site but it wouldn't surprise me if their employees aren't hanging out to "spread the joy" of Disney

shelby_36 said:
That was my second post you found. I did repost the article and that one appears to have stayed , for the time being. I am aware Diney does not own this site but it wouldn't surprise me if their employees aren't hanging out to "spread the joy" of Disney

That's a pretty big assumption to make, especially in light of the fact that your second posting of the article has remained to this point. I think it'd be more fair to give DIS administrators the benefit of the doubt in this case. After all, I see PLENTY of posts/threads on here that are negative about Disney, and they're not deleted. I really don't think there's some vast Disney/DISboards conspiracy at work here.

No need to think there is a conspiracy here on the DIS. Why not jump in and start sharing helpful information and helping others. You will find the DIS a great place for Disney information good and bad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter