Is there really no slow season anymore?

We started out at MK last Wednesday. Holy smokes... What a crowd! We had FPs for Space Mountain but didn't use them because the FP return queue started back under the Peoplemover track near the entrance for Astro Orbiter. Tremendous bottlenecks of guests at the predictable locations. We used our other FPs and high tailed it to another park. I did notice that Touring Plans called that day a 10 at MK. A Wednesday in mid October. MK was open late and had EMH until 2am so crowds were to be expected. But still, more of a log jam than I would have guessed.

I feel sorry for Disney. FOP is such a cool ride and Pandora feels great. The problem is that the IP has no positive pop culture cache. I went to Halloween Horror Nights last week, and they absolutely skewered Pandora in the Bill & Ted show. It was a spot on critique and the audience loved it.

What was the critique?

I can tell you Columbus weekend was packed this year. I would say there are definitely times with fewer people. Just randomly check out ride times, this week was less than last week.

What was the critique?
This was my first HHN, but I am told that the Bill&Ted show always winks at pop culture in a PG-13 manner. They had a guy dressed as an avatar running around making fun of what the Navii use their tails for. That was followed by some dialog about how everyone knows Avatar was a boring movie. Then something about how Disney tells us mountains float but we can clearly see the vines holding up the mountains. The last part was an obviously repressed female character adorned with several banshee toys who went on and on about the, umm... , sensation of riding FOP.

I just saw the show once and sort of forget the details, but that's the gist of it

This was my first HHN, but I am told that the Bill&Ted show always winks at pop culture in a PG-13 manner. They had a guy dressed as an avatar running around making fun of what the Navii use their tails for. That was followed by some dialog about how everyone knows Avatar was a boring movie. Then something about how Disney tells us mountains float but we can clearly see the vines holding up the mountains. The last part was an obviously repressed female character adorned with several banshee toys who went on and on about the, umm... , sensation of riding FOP.

I just saw the show once and sort of forget the details, but that's the gist of it

Oh, ok thanks. That does sound funny. Was HHN crowded when you went?

I think September is one of the slower times because a lot of people don’t want to take their kids out of school so early in the year. Parts of January and February are less crowded than other times of the year as well.

During the slower times, I think you find lots of refurbs. I think it feels busier since they cut back staff and use one side of a two track ride. I think one of the slower times is early May.

I'm trying the end of January for the first time -- I've made sure to avoid races and MLK day. I'm hoping for great crowds!

I agree with other posters that obviously there are "slower" times.
However, I think many people when they think "slow time" they think "empty parks" and that just doesn't happen these days.

That totally makes sense. I was just looking at it from my perspective where I don't expect an empty park. I just think if I don't have to wait more than 20 or 30 minutes in line for most rides that the crowds are great!

I think there are slow times...they just aren't predictable and at the same time of year anymore.

In my experience you can luck into a slow time, but ya can't really plan for it.
Yes you can. **************.net lists estimated crowd levels by week and accounts for a lot of factors. It won't be 100% accurate, but it's fairly close.

Was HHN crowded when you went?

We went Thursday, October 12. My 17yo son did most of the planning for the night, but I think I recall reading that it was projected to be a relatively low attendance night. We saw seven of the haunted houses. The longest waits were 45 minutes (Blumhouse) and 35 minutes (Saw). Never did seem too crowded in the streets anywhere. We did want to ride Escape to Gringotts but it kept a 30-40 minute wait all night. I guess crowds were not an issue for us.

No. Not in the true sense. The days of finding a time of year where the park is relatively empty are mostly gone. As others have pointed out it is relative now what "slow" means but imho the parks are always crowded these days and it's just a matter how much. E.g. Let's say it used to be "Slow, Moderate, and Busy" in regards to crowds. Now these days what you're really doing is taking the last category, "Busy" and dividing that up into "Less Busy, Moderately Busy, & Crazy Busy" with the key word being "Busy" as in it's always busy now but just to what degree. Make sense?

For the past 8 years we have gone in August and yes, in my opinion the summer slow season doesn't exist anymore. Each year it seems more crowded to us. The big benefit to going in August - when it's hotter than the surface of the sun humid - was the low crowds but honestly the low crowd levels when we stated going 8 years ago aren't there any more. I agree with other posters as that first week of sept / labot day is slower as many kids start school that week in the east.

Try June. That seemed dead this year.

We started out at MK last Wednesday. Holy smokes... What a crowd! We had FPs for Space Mountain but didn't use them because the FP return queue started back under the Peoplemover track near the entrance for Astro Orbiter.

I was probably in that FP line when you walked by. We waited about 30ish minutes or so...

I'm going in January for the first time, I'm really interested to see how busy the parks are then. I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on what to expect, but I'm still hopeful it won't be as bad other times I've gone.
Yeah that's what I was wondering, Mid Jan to late Feb, how are crowds then? Would think that might still be "slow season."

Yeah that's what I was wondering, Mid Jan to late Feb, how are crowds then? Would think that might still be "slow season."

We went late January-early February this year. Crowds were moderate except the Saturday before we left at MK. It was packed and a crowd level 8.

The rest of the days weren’t empty but definitely not packed either.

Agreed!

So -- when are the slower seasons? My guess would be late August - early September and parts of January and February.
And late July. Seriously. I was stunned at how low the late July crowds were in 2016.

I've been multiple times in late Jan/ early Feb, avoiding holidays, and found crowds then to be moderate, but not really low.

I mean, why go in the middle of a sweltering July when you could go cheaper in October...
WDW resort rates are actually much cheaper in summer than in the fall or spring. More discounts are available, too.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter