• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is there internet access in the cabins???

Wifi is in all the cabins. THe cost is 75 cents per minute, THere are packages available that make it cheaper--see the sticky at the top of the board for prices in the packages (they differ Wonder vs. Magic).

Ok, another silly question from a newbie.....how fast is the wifi connection? I'd love to be able to leave the laptop home, but being self employed that's a death nell, lol. But .75 a minute is pretty hefty.....all I'd need to do is download emails and then I would of course go offline to answer them, then reconnect and upload mail to send. At home...downloading mail when I first turn on the computer in the morning takes 3, 4, maybe 5 minutes max....and sending mail even less. But...in hotels it's of course slower....would being at sea mean that it's even slower than that? I mean if we go for the 10 day cruise, and it's 10 or 20 minutes a day, whew, that's a bundle. I don't suppose there is any choice tho, because my cell phone internet sure ain't gonna work in the middle of the ocean!

My experience was that it was very sloooooooooow. Hard to get a signal sometimes too. Hopefully it has improved, but that was about a year ago. Our best experience was in internet cafes near the ports -- fast & cheap.

We always get a package anyway, but it is frustratingly slow!!

There literature says it's in every cabin but it is not. I was in 8530 and we had no wifi coverage at all. We had to go to the midship elevator area and sit in the chair to check email etc. Call DCL and specifically ask if your stateroom has Internet coverage because not all do. 100 minutes for $50. 250 minutes for $100 And. 500 minutes for $150.

My experience was that it was very sloooooooooow. Hard to get a signal sometimes too. Hopefully it has improved, but that was about a year ago. Our best experience was in internet cafes near the ports -- fast & cheap.

We always get a package anyway, but it is frustratingly slow!!

Ahhh, ok, hadn't thought of that....on port days, I could probably use my cell phone (I'd be switching it to international coverage for the month we're gone). Thanks for the idea...stashing it away. The way technology is going there are bound to be even better options by 2012 anyway. Who knows, maybe my business will blossom enough that I could have a partner by then, lol. Yeah, right.

the speed is about equal to dial-up.

found that internet speed varies depending on where the ship is.
docked at Castaway is the worst.

VPN connection to my work computer takes a minimum of 2 minutes to complete.

Thanks for the advice. We are traveling with another family. Does anyone know if two families can split one package. ie. can I have two people access the internet at the same time on the same package?
Thanks,
JimmyC

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter