Is there a way of knowing muster station in advance?

This is NOT true. We have been inside Animator's Palate for our Muster Station on numerous DCL cruises.

My statement is true -- Animator's Palate is on deck 4. Many forward cabins also meet in the Walt Disney Theater -- also Deck 4. The meeting points are on deck 4 because that is where the lifeboats would be launched from if necessary.

I never realized the elevators don't work during the drills! :eek:

Thanks for this info.:thumbsup2 We're taking my DM on our upcoming cruise and she will need to use the elevator for the drill. 3 flights of stairs is too much for her. She is still hoping to hide in the cabin like she has done on Princess, but I told her that I believe it's mandatory on DCL that she show up with us at the muster station. Hope the elevators will be available for her.:confused:

The elevators do work, but there will be crew members stationed at the doors discouraging passengers from using them. I suggested going early to avoid having to convince them that your mother needs to use the elevator, and to minimize her anxiety.

It is possible to hide in your cabin, but attendance is taken at all muster stations. The CM at your mother's station will repeatedly call her cabin number on a bullhorn. Eventually, they will give up, but this makes the process take longer. If a passenger does not appear at their station, they will receive a note in their room shortly thereafter.

The process only takes about 15 minutes and provides useful information about how to evacuate the ship if necessary in an emergency.

OP, muster station drill sounds more tricky than it is.

You should all definitely attend the drill--I have encountered one or two DCL passengers who missed the drill, and DCL required them to do a 'make up' drill.

About 30 min. before the drill, grab your lifejackets from your cabin, meet up with your mom in her cabin, collect her life jacket, and take the elevator to the 4th deck. Find your mom's lifeboat station, take her to it, and arrange how you will meet up after the drill--it is probably easier for you to meet her at her lifeboat station (this is very important, as everyone on board hits the stairs, the elevators and the hallways at the same time immediately after the drill, so there is a lot of congestion), then, as the PA announcements for the drill start up, walk over to your muster station.

Piece of cake!

The elevators do work, but there will be crew members stationed at the doors discouraging passengers from using them. I suggested going early to avoid having to convince them that your mother needs to use the elevator, and to minimize her anxiety.

It is possible to hide in your cabin, but attendance is taken at all muster stations. The CM at your mother's station will repeatedly call her cabin number on a bullhorn. Eventually, they will give up, but this makes the process take longer. If a passenger does not appear at their station, they will receive a note in their room shortly thereafter.

The process only takes about 15 minutes and provides useful information about how to evacuate the ship if necessary in an emergency.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not worried about convincing them since you can see that she has a hard time walking. It's the standing around time that worries her -- she absolutely can't stand for 10-15 mins. Too bad we can't get a lounge chair there at our station!:rolleyes:

I'm not the OP -- my DM is in the same cabin as the rest of us are -- so we will be at the drill station. I just hope I can convince her to come, but if not, the rest of us will be there.

I totally agree that it's important -- just hard to convince her of that (and she's sailed around the world more than once and taken plenty of cruises). You know it's hard to teach parents things. :rolleyes1

:thumbsup2 I wanted to thank everyone for posting! Somehow after I logged off that day, I missed the notification that there were more posts.

I'm relieved that if we are indeed in N and P, we will at least be close. We plan to get to the port to board as early as they'll let us, so we'll have plenty of time to verify the exact location. Mom is slow on stairs, so we definitely will get her to her spot a little early before the stampede starts. She's better going down stairs than up, so I think we'll take her life vest up to our cabin and start from there.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not worried about convincing them since you can see that she has a hard time walking. It's the standing around time that worries her -- she absolutely can't stand for 10-15 mins. Too bad we can't get a lounge chair there at our station!:rolleyes:

I'm not the OP -- my DM is in the same cabin as the rest of us are -- so we will be at the drill station. I just hope I can convince her to come, but if not, the rest of us will be there.

I totally agree that it's important -- just hard to convince her of that (and she's sailed around the world more than once and taken plenty of cruises). You know it's hard to teach parents things. :rolleyes1

Would you be able to convince your mom to use a wheelchair borrowed from the ship for the drill? That way she won't be standing around and usually they let those in a wheelchair leave a couple minutes early.

If you are on the Magic/Wonder, on deck 4, they fold up all the lounge chairs to have room for the drill but there are wooden benches/chests that are permanent fixtures. If you arrive at your lifeboat station early enough, you should be able to have your mother sit on them -- just let your lifeboat station crew know that she needs to sit and they will accomodate you and not make her stand through the drill. (of course if your cabin is forward or aft, your station may be in the theater or Animator's and everyone sits in them!)

Would you be able to convince your mom to use a wheelchair borrowed from the ship for the drill? That way she won't be standing around and usually they let those in a wheelchair leave a couple minutes early.

Unfortunately, no. I've already asked her. :rolleyes1 I'm just happy she wants to go, so I don't want to rock the boat too much. ;)

If you are on the Magic/Wonder, on deck 4, they fold up all the lounge chairs to have room for the drill but there are wooden benches/chests that are permanent fixtures. If you arrive at your lifeboat station early enough, you should be able to have your mother sit on them -- just let your lifeboat station crew know that she needs to sit and they will accomodate you and not make her stand through the drill. (of course if your cabin is forward or aft, your station may be in the theater or Animator's and everyone sits in them!)

Great idea! Thanks -- I will definitely get there early and let them know. She'll be fine if she can sit. We're right by the mid-ship elevators, so we'll be outside on deck 4 for the drill.

Everyone here is so helpful -- THANK YOU ALL!:goodvibes

It's the standing around time that worries her --
On our recent cruise, the CM's explained that they wanted everyone to show up for the drill and check in... but it was only absolutely necessary for one person from each cabin to stay. Several people who felt they would have trouble standing were excused back to their cabin.

On our recent cruise, the CM's explained that they wanted everyone to show up for the drill and check in... but it was only absolutely necessary for one person from each cabin to stay. Several people who felt they would have trouble standing were excused back to their cabin.

Really? That's wonderful news! :goodvibes I'll tell her that -- I'm sure it will make her feel better about it. :banana:

As long as she goes down and checks in, she will be allowed to leave after that.

When we cruised with my mother-in-law our staterooms were right next to each other, however, we were in different muster stations. While we were walking to the muster station, we informed a crew member that we were family but in different stations and they told us that because we were family that we needed to stay together. At our station they informed her station that my MIL was with us at our station.

I will agree with some of the other posters, to go to her room early and see where she will be headed to at the time of the drill- check her life vest. You can do a run through yourself and better direct her at the given time. I will say I was in room 2598- dont remember our muster location but it was HOT HOT HOT standing in with the sun beeming down on you while waiting for everyone to arrive. So I would suggest getting her one of those little hand held battery fans that can loop around her neck and have a cold bottle of water.

If she hides out in her room, that means the longer everyone else will have to stand out in the heat and wait. (They do a roll call of sort or check your room/vest number when they see you). Now the longer you have to stand and wait you will start to see people getting a little peeved :confused:and it's a hard wait for the children. I thought DD3 would just about fall out. :eek:

So in short,
Prepare- Go to room early find out where everyone will need to be.
Send- Send the rest of your family to the muster station.
Take- Take Mom, to her spot with water and fan
Go- Go to your station with the rest of your fam.
Go Again- Go get mom when drill is over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter