Is there a waiting for results thread on here?

LuvOrlando

DIS Veteran
Just had my breast MRI which I get for being BRCA2.

Thank goodness I am ok but holy moly that slow mo window of time when you wait for the tests, get the tests and wait for the results, is a weird mish mosh of angst and whatever other feelings float to the surface.

Anyhoo I was wondering if there might be a thread for this weird state of being, when things are both true and untrue for a peculiar slice of time.

The breast cancer survivor’s thread has been “holding hands” of people here awaiting test results for about 18 yrs now!

I had a yearly breast MRI for about 15 yrs after having breast cancer and I hated every minute of it. It’s so dehumanizing the way they position you, laying in a loud, obnoxious tube upside down with your lady parts in a device, and even when you’ve moved past the disease, it brings it all back when you’re there. (For me often the tears wouldn’t stop from my face into the pillow the whole time - tough when you cannot move, runny nose, etc).

Thankfully some of the techs are super nice, and sensitive to how hard these can be. I had a little freak out one time and couldn’t complete the test. It only happened that once, I guess I was just having a bad day. So I came back in a few weeks and was nervous about whether I could go through with it. And do you know, one of the technicians there that day sensed my angst, and held my hand from outside the machine throughout the whole test - about 40 minutes or more! 😭 I’m sure her back was probably broken from the position she was in, but she never let go. I was so grateful to her! And we are so fortunate to have this technology, but it sometimes isn’t easy going through it.

PM me anytime you want to talk about any of it, Luvs.❤️

What kind of wait are you talking about? My wife usually has the results in 24 hours. Our health provider is part of an online network so we get test results at the same time as the Doctor.

I get my results pretty fast, too. Sorry for your wait. I'm not the most patient patient so I can understand your waiting. :hug:

The breast cancer survivor’s thread has been “holding hands” of people here awaiting test results for about 18 yrs now!

I had a yearly breast MRI for about 15 yrs after having breast cancer and I hated every minute of it. It’s so dehumanizing the way they position you, laying in a loud, obnoxious tube upside down with your lady parts in a device, and even when you’ve moved past the disease, it brings it all back when you’re there. (For me often the tears wouldn’t stop from my face into the pillow the whole time - tough when you cannot move, runny nose, etc).

Thankfully some of the techs are super nice, and sensitive to how hard these can be. I had a little freak out one time and couldn’t complete the test. It only happened that once, I guess I was just having a bad day. So I came back in a few weeks and was nervous about whether I could go through with it. And do you know, one of the technicians there that day sensed my angst, and held my hand from outside the machine throughout the whole test - about 40 minutes or more! 😭 I’m sure her back was probably broken from the position she was in, but she never let go. I was so grateful to her! And we are so fortunate to have this technology, but it sometimes isn’t easy going through it.

PM me anytime you want to talk about any of it, Luvs.❤️

Thank you! It is very strange though to be in the BRCA pool, we are higher risk but not positive so I feel like a jerk to look to Cancer Support, I'd feel indulgent to look for anything from people fighting but, still, it's not nothing either. I'll be back, "Same Bat Time, Same Bat Channel," in 6 months for mammo, although, I suppose there will be some sort of BRCA2 Pancreatic screening soon, pretty sure it is upper GI which I've never had before.
What kind of wait are you talking about? My wife usually has the results in 24 hours. Our health provider is part of an online network so we get test results at the same time as the Doctor.
They actually gave me the results same day, but there is a whole wind up as I get closer to the test. Suppose it is a sort of bracing myself while I'm trying my best to stay optimistic, all the while I am trying to NOT be outwardly upset for my family. I would imagine that most BRCA people, like me, have dealt with cancer with very close family members so the whole thing hits very close to home. It's just a messy process that I'd say runs at least a week, sometimes more if I have random autoimmune pains that make it more interesting;/.

Just uggh

Thank you! It is very strange though to be in the BRCA pool, we are higher risk but not positive so I feel like a jerk to look to Cancer Support, I'd feel indulgent to look for anything from people fighting but, still, it's not nothing either. I'll be back, "Same Bat Time, Same Bat Channel," in 6 months for mammo, although, I suppose there will be some sort of BRCA2 Pancreatic screening soon, pretty sure it is upper GI which I've never had before.
Not at all. We have all been through the biopsies and all kinds of waiting even if it’s not cancer. It’s a group that understands the wait, and doesn’t look down just because it’s not an actual cancer diagnosis. As the person who came up with the idea for the thread for this very reason, among other things, I invite you to post anytime you need support.

Not at all. We have all been through the biopsies and all kinds of waiting even if it’s not cancer. It’s a group that understands the wait, and doesn’t look down just because it’s not an actual cancer diagnosis. As the person who came up with the idea for the thread for this very reason, among other things, I invite you to post anytime you need support.
Knowing the people here on the DIS, they are probably very happy for you when the test says you are still okay, regardless of whether it’s a scan, a biopsy, or some other test. No one wants a fellow DISer to have to go down that road . . .

OK, thanks for reaching out, I will stop in
I was going to suggest the breast cancer survivor's thread. They are a supportive, caring community. When my MIL had breast cancer (and a recurrence) I reached out to them and they were so informative and supportive- even though I wasn't the patient. You really should check it out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter