is there a queuing system to meet the characters in dlp?

julieannbabe

<font color=blue>I am a <font color=red>summer <fo
i have seen pix where it looks as it the characters are surrounded by people and it looks very hectic.

does dlp have a queuing system where the CM makes people queue up to meet the characters when they are outside, say at the bottom of main street?

or is it a free for all?

xjx

We had heard awful things about it being a free for all but it wasn't as bad as we were expecting.

Where they are taking the official photographs, you will find a CM in charge and a nice orderly queue. We queued at these to get autographs and to take our own photos, just like in WDW. Even though they take the official photo, you don't have to buy it.

Away from the official photospots, its another story. If the characters have only just appeared, you may be lucky enough to meet them before they are surrounded by the hordes!

We just used the photospots and character meals to meet them. At the character meals in the Disneyland Hotel and the Steakhouse it was great and we had loads of time with them. On our last day we ate at the Lucky Nugget. I know it was very busy in there but it really annoyed me that some people were actually encouraging their children to approach the characters when they were at other people's tables, this did not happen at the other two character meals and I know the CM's do not let it happen at WDW.

Sorry about all the waffle, basically it was much more orderly than I was expecting!

Unfortunately characters bring out the worst in people. As Elaine says at the official spots it is orderly but you or the kids need to be quite robust to get a photo and/or an autograph when you happen upon characters in the park.
Jessie in the Studios made children and the worst culprits adults queue up before her when she stopped in Backlot.
Shame more CM's were not as good :confused3

Must say I was impressed this summer with the way the characters themselves look after the smaller children when they are surrounded by a big crowd. On several occasions I saw a character put a protective arm around a little one or gently usher a larger child away who was pushing in.

The most orderly crowd I have ever seen around a character was last summer with Maleficent. She made all the children say please and thank you and just scowled if anyone tried to push in! If only they sold that head dress my life would be so much easier!

Joanne UK said:
The most orderly crowd I have ever seen around a character was last summer with Maleficent. She made all the children say please and thank you and just scowled if anyone tried to push in! If only they sold that head dress my life would be so much easier!
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

i just don't understand why the cm's don't get people in a queue like WDW does.

Well, I think we'd all agree with that! It must be more pleasant for the characters too when there aren't kids under their feet especially as they probably can't see too well in those costumes. If there are no CMs around then children are bound to run up to the characters. I don't think I've ever seen a character at WDW who wasn't accompanied by a CM.

On our recent visit we found the characters at the studios were much more organised and 'encouraged' queues. WE also had an afternoon tea at Plaza Gardens and a meal at Inventions in the Disneyland hotel where there was lost of character interaction and time spent at each table (much to our daughters distress as she was terrified of Chip , Dale , Pluto and Goofy).

There are were more organised queues for the disney princesses , mickey(in both parks) , minnie , Winnie the Pooh which were roped off with castmembers in presence to ensure order.

That sounds really hopeful - I hope they've brought that in as a definite policy from now on.

On my recent trip there were orderly queues for the princesses (in front of the castle at alloted time) and for Mickey and Minnie in some locations.

Most characters had CMs with them trying to keep control, but it didn't always work! We were lucky to find Daisy all alone in the front courtyard of the studios and got a lovely picture before anyone notice her!

One of my most memorable moments was seeing these motely characters
frlbrer.jpg
(not my pic!) having a right attack on Chip and Dale, the fox pushed Chip to the ground and started kicking him! It was hillarious (to us at least!) and the big thing (bear!?) was ambushing random guests, so funny!

We caught a glimpse of Maleficent at Main Street Station last year and my eldest duley ran hell for leather to get her autograph slipped on the wet floor and landed at her feet, from which position he asked would you sign my book please - in a most amazing upper class English accent she replied "What a charming child and such impeccable manners too", suffice to say he got his autograph. :earsboy:

We've always been very lucky with the character interaction I suppose it's because we go at quieter times, the only thing I did have to keep reminding my 2 (who aren't at all pushy) is to try to get around to the front, I lost track of the number of times I had to remind them that some of the characters couldn't see them if they were waiting around the side or to the back of them. :earsgirl:

jillrobinson said:
We caught a glimpse of Maleficent at Main Street Station last year and my eldest duley ran hell for leather to get her autograph slipped on the wet floor and landed at her feet, from which position he asked would you sign my book please - in a most amazing upper class English accent she replied "What a charming child and such impeccable manners too", suffice to say he got his autograph. :earsboy:
What a brilliant story Jill - it must have been hilarious (hope he didn't hurt himself!!)

I've only been to DLP twice (only once with DD) and found meeting the characters very chaotic! :scared: Adults were a lot pushier, ruder and sillier than the kids there. Instead of queueing everyone crowded around the characters :grouphug: and that meant that no-one got pics of their children with them just photos of a squashed character with random guests! :rotfl:

On our last trip to DLP (December 2002) the only decent photo we have with a character was at a special meet and greet inside a store with Santa Goofy. Strangely enough, there was no-one else in there despite the large sign outside. :confused3

Maybe they are finally catching up to how things are done at WDW - we have TONS of photos with DD and characters from our trips there! :goodvibes

My best tips are:
1) Try and meet the characters in the more 'civilised' surroundings (such as the scheduled photo moments that are dotted round the parks or character dinings) as it can get VERY hectic when some characters (it was mayhem on my last trip when all princesses made an appearance at the castle, as you can imagine!).
2) Be prepared for the worst! As someone rightly said, it seems like the characters bring out the worst in people. Be prepared to stand your ground for your spot!!

Good luck!

Have to say I'm encouraged by what everyone is saying. Next time I'm going to visit City hall and ask them why they don't make it safer and more enjoyable for children.
Maybe if we keep saying it they will listen.

It looks like Studios has the edge as that was where Jessie's accompaying CM help the crowd control. :)

Reid

No Di he wasn't hurt and Maleficent admitted to us that she very rarely gets young men falling at her feet. :love:

Joanne you have an excuse to visit during Halloween - the Maleficent costume including headress was for sale then - I quite fancied it myself. :earsgirl:

I would seriously love one of those! I don't know anyone who is going Halloween but I might see if I can see one online somewhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter