Is there a place to SEE but not HEAR fireworks??

NJDisneymom

DIS Veteran
My dd is will be 5.5 this trip but is still afraid of fireworks (has really sensitive ears, hates anything loud). Last trip she was 3.5 and we spent an hour waiting for Illuminations in Epcot to start only to have to run towards the exit after the first loud BOOM because she got hysterical (of course she gave us no indication as we waited).

So, I'm wondering if there is any place we can see either Illuminations or Wishes without hearing it??? Restaurants? Resorts? anything??

You can see Wishes and it will be muted at the monorail resorts. We have stood on the 4th floor observation deck at the CR and the booms are muffled. You can also see it from the beach at the Poly.

My 9 year old has been the same most of her life. I think it all started with a balloon popping, after that she avoids balloons and is not thrilled about fireworks. Last time we were at Disney we stayed at the Polynesian and had a lagoon view which meant we could watch the fireworks from our balcony with little noise (just a far off popping sound). She didn't mind this (although she still covered her ears!). If you don't mind leaving the park, take the Monorail to the transportation centre and take the short walk to the waters edge at Poly. You can sit on the beach and watch them.

My daughter is getting better however and we always talk about how you can figure out when the loud "popping" is going to come. Also we are trying to get her to focus on the beauty of fireworks, watching the colours and tuning out the noises.

Good luck!

For Wishes any resort in the Magic Kingdom loop should be good. An interesting option is to have dinner at the California Grill on the top floor of the CR during Wishes.

The Cali Grill dims the lights, pipes in the music from the fireworks show, and many diners head out to the observation deck. I guess that staying inside the restaurant instead of going onto the deck might be a good option if your DD is really sensitive. I do think the CR is far enough away to allow your DD to head outside on the observation deck for the show.

Just as an FYI here's some sample menus for the CG from AllEarsnet:
CG menu - http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menu_cg.htm
CG kids menu - http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menu_cgk.htm

With regard to Illuminations, the only locations that come to mind would be a very select number of guest rooms at the Boardwalk or Beach Club resorts. It would take a room facing Epcot and located on a high floor (they are both 5 stories) to be able to see down into the World Showcase. Many of the Illuminations fireworks are at ground level, so you really can't see anything outside of the park. But in the right room at these two resorts you can get a great view of the high-level shells.

I'll pipe in with the Poly and Ohana's piping in music while you eat (all you can!) coconut races, hula comp... you can catch the boat from MK to the Poly/Grand Fl. too, but no piped in music...

also, want to say, bt doing that!! My ds is 19 and to this day he avoids fireworks at all cost!! He is a counselor at a Boy Scout Camp... also, he is hard of hearing... when he was 3 he freaked out at chuck e cheese, we later found out it was the balloons popping... and we took him to a special audioulogist who explained this "phenom." to us, it does have a special name. He now has a case of the foam ear plugs, he loves those earplugs btw!!

So you might try buying a pair of the ear plugs, soft foam, yellow at Wal Mart, and seeing how your DD... but at 5 I would try and explain, as well as having a test drive, it helps her a lot that you are listening to her fears!!

I can't help you with a location....but my son has always been afraid of the loud noises of fireworks too.

We bought him ear muffs/hearing protectors, that are very lightweight and comfortable. He would fall asleep everytime during the fireworks, he couldn't hear a thing and I think the quietness comforted him. I put them on and found them very comfy too.

You might want to give this a try so you're whole family can enjoy the show.

HTH :wave2:

I just wanted to say I am in the same boat. That is why I got LV at GF for this trip. DD is 7 and goes hysterical at fireworks. I already got the foam earplugs for this trip. I would like to do Illuminations but I don't think she will go for it, we'll see how the ear plugs work.

AJDonn said:
For Wishes any resort in the Magic Kingdom loop should be good. An interesting option is to have dinner at the California Grill on the top floor of the CR during Wishes.

The Cali Grill dims the lights, pipes in the music from the fireworks show, and many diners head out to the observation deck. I guess that staying inside the restaurant instead of going onto the deck might be a good option if your DD is really sensitive. I do think the CR is far enough away to allow your DD to head outside on the observation deck for the show.

Just as an FYI here's some sample menus for the CG from AllEarsnet:
CG menu - http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menu_cg.htm
CG kids menu - http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menu_cgk.htm

Actually, the monorail restaurants with a view of Wishes no longer pipe in the music, and I am not sure they even dim the lights anymore. Also, a window seat cannot be guaranteed. You may watch Wishes from the 4th floor observation deck or the Poly or Grand Floridian Beaches.

It is a shame that she is so scared of the popping because to fully realize the beauty and magnitude of this display it is best enjoyed within the Magic Kingdom from the hub or up near the train station. Anywhere on Main Street, the Tomorrowland bridge of near the Crystal Palace are good areas as well.

Here's the solution:

ProEarsSlmDm2-2.jpg

It cuts out loud noises. It even has an audio input so you could hook it up to a CD player with the Wishes CD playing.

I know how your child feels - I'm 38 and I still hate loud nose. I dragged my family out of weddings and parades all the time. My ears are sensitive and I can hear sounds from a mile away.

We got a room at WL last time and watched Wishes from our room. You can hear the sounds but they are so muffled that it's fine. We are going next month and will eat at O'Hana to watch Wishes. I also always carry my foam earplugs just in case!

You can also see Wishes from FtW Campgrounds without the "popping" being so loud.

eeyore0062 said:
Actually, the monorail restaurants with a view of Wishes no longer pipe in the music, and I am not sure they even dim the lights anymore. Also, a window seat cannot be guaranteed. You may watch Wishes from the 4th floor observation deck or the Poly or Grand Floridian Beaches.

They stopped the music? How sad.
Thanks for the correction.

My nephew is the same way. My sister found a old pair of giant, virtually sound-proof stereo headphones. She cut the cord off, and toted them along to WDW. We sat right up front for Illuminations, with nephew happily wearing his monster headphones (he was a little top-heavy until he got used to them, lol). Almost nobody even seemed to notice, except a few parents who guessed why he was wearing them. It worked so well that he's worn them for every 4th of July, New Year's, and WDW trip since!

tjkraz said:
With regard to Illuminations, the only locations that come to mind would be a very select number of guest rooms at the Boardwalk or Beach Club resorts. It would take a room facing Epcot and located on a high floor (they are both 5 stories) to be able to see down into the World Showcase. Many of the Illuminations fireworks are at ground level, so you really can't see anything outside of the park. But in the right room at these two resorts you can get a great view of the high-level shells.

You cannot see down into the World Showcase lagoon from rooms at the top floor of the BC or YC (don't know about Boardwalk). Althouse those resorts are relatively nearby to Epcot, they are still to far away to be able to see the ground level parts of Illuminations.

The higher Illuminations fireworks can be seen on the bridge from BC to Boardwalk.

I can honaestly say, that I don't even remember hearing any Booms during the fireworks. I'm sure they are there, but with the music and the narration I didn't even notice them.

madalex said:
You cannot see down into the World Showcase lagoon from rooms at the top floor of the BC or YC (don't know about Boardwalk). Althouse those resorts are relatively nearby to Epcot, they are still to far away to be able to see the ground level parts of Illuminations.

You most certainly can see much of the interior action from a handful of Beach Club Villa rooms. We were in such a room about 6 weeks ago. Can't remember the exact number off-hand--it was 5xx with a balcony that faced directly toward Epcot.

The view of the high level shells was completely unobstructed. And, the majority of the time we could see the globe in the lagoon as well as the floating fountains.

I love seeing wishes from Ohana's. You can also use the tiny earplugs from the airplanes that they give out for free. Those do not take up any space to set aside.

It has been several years, but when we were last in Orlando we stayed at was then the Buena Vista Palace in DTD (I think it is the Wyndam Palace now). They had a rest. on the top floor (Arthur's 27?). We got an unexpected treat while dining there, a free fireworks show. Had we known, we would have requested a table by the windows. Make reservations there, request a window table and you can watch the show while eating. It is on the expensive side but when we were there the food was EXCELLENT! Well worth the cost. The nice thing was that you were high enough up in the dining room that the fireworks were exploding at eyelevel. It was a great evening.

tjkraz said:
You most certainly can see much of the interior action from a handful of Beach Club Villa rooms. We were in such a room about 6 weeks ago. Can't remember the exact number off-hand--it was 5xx with a balcony that faced directly toward Epcot.

The view of the high level shells was completely unobstructed. And, the majority of the time we could see the globe in the lagoon as well as the floating fountains.

I satnd corrected. I have never been in a BCV room and I had completely forgotten about the location of those relative to the WS lagoon. Good information for a future stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter