Is the Cozumel dolphin excursion at a new location?

vpalmer

DIS Veteran
I am asking because of three factors:

1) Someone mentioned in another thread that Chankanaab park is still closed
2) There is a $40 per person price difference between the price in the 2006 Birmbaum Guide and the website
3) The Birbaum guide says the tour is 3.5 hours long and the website states it at 7.5 hours long.

So what is the deal? Has the dolphin encounter moved to a new location post-Wilma? If so, has anyone been to the new excursion? Is it worth the extra money?

Dolphin Discovery on Cozumel is scheduled to re-open in June (the end of June, I think). In the meantime they have been using their other location, which explains the 7 plus hours. Hopefully, someone who has done it since the Magic has gone back to Cozumel will fill us all in on the details.

ibouncetoo said:
Dolphin Discovery on Cozumel is scheduled to re-open in June (the end of June, I think). In the meantime they have been using their other location, which explains the 7 plus hours. Hopefully, someone who has done it since the Magic has gone back to Cozumel will fill us all in on the details.

So I wonder if that means that price will go back down in June as well? Or will all the excursion rates rise in Cozumel to counter the expense of the hurricane damage?

It's scheduled to reopen June 30. We're cruising 7/1 so I believe we'll be the first DCL back there (if it opens). We have a group of 14 and only 5 are cc. The 5 got the excursion and the rest couldn't so we canclled it altogether and booked it directly at the site. Yes, it was significantly cheaper, but I would have rather gone through DCL and not have to worry about transporation and timing.

Sometimes I just need somebody to direct me.

mattmommy said:
It's scheduled to reopen June 30. We're cruising 7/1 so I believe we'll be the first DCL back there (if it opens). We have a group of 14 and only 5 are cc. The 5 got the excursion and the rest couldn't so we canclled it altogether and booked it directly at the site. Yes, it was significantly cheaper, but I would have rather gone through DCL and not have to worry about transporation and timing.

Sometimes I just need somebody to direct me.

Mattmommy,

I know what you mean about needing someone to direct you. I am the same way. Do you remember what Disney was charging for the Dolphin encounter once the Cozumel location re-opens?

Right now Disney is charging $135 for adults and $110 for kids while the Dolphin Discovery site is charging $75 for adults and $70 for kids. Is there seriously a 55% mark-up for adults and 63% mark-up for kids?? :confused3

You're right on with the prices. I believe the DCL includes transportation and lunch. When I went to the site with our groups problem they gave me an additional 10% off the price. I didn't pay of the internet because their site isn't secure and I wasn't about to email a credit card, but I did fax them the number and I have a confirmation letter. Also, if the ship is diverted or doesn't go to Cozumel for whatever reason, they will reimburse me.

Another plus is that this excursion is paid for already.

The pictures are what is going to break me. I saw pictures of other families with their kids kissing the dolphins and I get veclempt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter