Is Spaceship Earth going away?

hopemax

Note to Self:
From Marcie's Corner on Mouseinfo.com

Changes are eminent at Epcot as well. Rumors are flying of the potential additions of a Soarin’ attraction, Hyperion theater, and several other C-ticket rides around Future World for guests who do meet the height requirements on Test Track, Soarin’ and a new attraction to be built inside Spaceship Earth and Communicore.

I heard speculation that this was the recently mentioned "Time Racers" attraction that was rumored to be part of the Genimi project. The ride would be redone when sponsorship changed over to Microsoft. "Racers" does imply faster motion, and Marcie's comment about a height restriction would seem to jive?

She also mentions Forbidden Mountain for AK. While it may not have gotten final approval, there have been several recent rumors about this project being in active development. I think someone has even tossed out 2005 at a likely opening date. Scoop do you have any update on this one.

I suppose nothings sacred. But that would be a big mistake if you ask me.

I'd say there are better ways to spend your money re-energizing Epcot than messing around with the icon. Spaceship Earth is neither the problem nor the solution at that park.

As long as they leave the structure alone....and as long as they don't put in a simulator....and as long as it is better than what is currently in there and not a cost-cutting affair, then it is OK.

...and as long as they don't attach a giant steel Mickey Mouse arm to the side of it... oops...

Quote "and as long as it is better than what is currently in there"

Impossible !!!!!!!

Spaceship Earth IS Epcot. The ride never fails to touch a deep chord especially when "for a brief moment, we are amongst it's passengers".

ford family

Originally posted by ford family
Quote "and as long as it is better than what is currently in there"

Impossible !!!!!!!

Spaceship Earth IS Epcot. The ride never fails to touch a deep chord especially when "for a brief moment, we are amongst it's passengers".

ford family

AMEN!

You cannot change the soul of a park. That's like removing Fantaseyland! When a ride is so influencial and well done we come back to the all important cure, don't fix it if it ain't broke.

A height requirement for Spaceship Earth does seem to imply either something speedy or a simulator. And what a mistake this would be! At the rate they're changing things in the park, Epcot will have little to offer families when it seemed that Disney has been trying to dream up ways to attract more families.

As a friend always said, a group of well-trained monkeys could run this business more efficiently. :(

That would be a huge mistake!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I'm still very upset over losing Horizons and World of Motion.:mad:

Epcot needs more Disney magic dark rides.:bounce: :bounce:

King Triton

The Forbidden Mountain coaster themed to the "Yetti" is a definite go project for Animal Kingdom, as are several rides for EPCOT, including a re-do of SpaceShip Earth, whose ride system has never really worked properly.
Look for all these changes within the next four years or so. All have been budgeted.

Moooo, can you please explain any further about the "re-do" of SE? Does this mean they are going to go in and oil all the parts, change mechanisms, etc, or a total renovation of the ride, or <gulp>... replacement?

Please take Marcie's comments with a grain of salt. She (He?) has a worse record then anyone that I know with facts vs. spin. I enjoy reading her stuff but often find myself wondering if she is a "plant" on the net to provide counter-spin to the web community. I bet she works in the marketing dept. and her job is to spin spin spin.

She is ALWAYS defending everything that Disney does right down to the smallest detail. If you read Al and Marci in the same day, then you will be able to maintain your balance. I doubt life is a bad as Al makes it out to be, but I just cannot buy into the "spoonful of sugar" either. One of her columns last year was three pages explaining how DCA had exceeded corporate expectations in attendance, guest surveys, and earnings. I chuckled for three days about that one. Then there was the multi-part piece about the wonderful nature of Paul Pressler, and on and on and on. Read the Mouse-info archives for fun some day.

And god forbid someone challenges her opinion on the message boards. Boy does does Marcie bite back. That's fun to read too.

It's entertainment only. Fun to read but little substance.

As someone who works for a large organization, I can still see huge "powerpoint presentation decks" behind every Disney decision. No changes. That isn't vision, it's entirely cost control. If it's a choice between two projects then cost vs. return is the ONLY deciding factor. I can just close my eyes and see the spread sheets.

As far as I can see, Disney is still operating in the "as little as possible mode". Until their earnings start moving, or there is a leadership change, little will change about the organization. I will still visit the theme parks, enjoy myself, and wait.

Because Car #3 still goes in that direction.

I would hope they keep the structure of SpaceShip earth, but changing the attraction would be fine as long as its done as a improvement and not a cutback or done as lousy as JIYI was.

Disney should definitely keep Spaceship Earth ride. I like the idea of changing up the ride.:D (But don't take the ride out!!!) Throw in some different scenes and surprises. Matter of fact, Disney should do that with most of their dark rides every few years. Add in a new character or something new for those of us who keep coming back every year.

For example, I love the People Mover ride in Tommorrow land. It's one of my favorites. With all those dark halls, Disney can add some lighted Animatronics or a story scene of minatures. For the train ride, add some Animatronics behind some bushes. Disney needs to change it up from time to time.

I hope that's true about the new Mountain "Yetti" rollercoaster ride for AK. That would be great!

King Triton

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Forget Dragon Mountian. In two to three years or so you're going to meet the Yeti in Animal Kingdom on a heavy-duty coaster. At this moment the ride is designed, budgeted, and ready to be built.
I don't think the intensive theming being discussed can be compared to the two motionless figures standing (or howling, as the case may be) in The Matterhorn. But, time (and budgets) will tell.

Originally posted by Mooobooks
Forget Dragon Mountian. In two to three years or so you're going to meet the Yeti in Animal Kingdom on a heavy-duty coaster. At this moment the ride is designed, budgeted, and ready to be built.
I don't think the intensive theming being discussed can be compared to the two motionless figures standing (or howling, as the case may be) in The Matterhorn. But, time (and budgets) will tell.

Lets hear what AV says.

Say it isn't so! Ok, maybe a facelift, a few new scenes, a little less jerk to the cars but Spaceship Earth as was noted earlier is the equivalent of comfort food. We all now meatloaf doesn't have the pop and excitement of a gourmet meal but we all need it (or whatever our equivalent is from time to time). Spaceship Earth is a tradition. They might as well mess around with Cinderella's Castle or Mickey himself!

The Professor

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter