Is Quick-Service Dining plan worth it if you don't use the free refillable mugs?

laurajetter

Mouseketeer<br><Font color="red">The Tag Fairy thi
Posted this earlier today on Disney Tips before I found this forum that's specifically about Dining plans; sorry for the repetition if you've already read it!

I've been to Disney multiple times through my life but the last time was back in 2004 with DH so I know things are super different by now. My mom is planning a big family trip to Disney in June 2018 and is trying to navigate all the ins and outs of planning... right now they're trying to figure out the most economical dining option. If we were to get a plan, it would be for 8 adults and 1 child and we would do the cheapest plan, which is the Quick-Service.

It looks like the 2018 prices are: $52.49/night per adult and $21.75/night per child. I know individual food prices at Disney are probably high, but what I'm trying to find out is how much money do you really save by using this Quick-Service dining plan vs. not using a plan and just buying the items yourself? Also, if none of us are interested in using the refillable mugs feature, and if we only drink water bottles that we bring into the parks (which we will have pre-purchased by the case, so it will be less than $1 per bottle), would it make sense for us to just pay as we go, or would the Quick-Service Dining Plan still be beneficial, cost-wise?

Posted this earlier today on Disney Tips before I found this forum that's specifically about Dining plans; sorry for the repetition if you've already read it!

I've been to Disney multiple times through my life but the last time was back in 2004 with DH so I know things are super different by now. My mom is planning a big family trip to Disney in June 2018 and is trying to navigate all the ins and outs of planning... right now they're trying to figure out the most economical dining option. If we were to get a plan, it would be for 8 adults and 1 child and we would do the cheapest plan, which is the Quick-Service.

It looks like the 2018 prices are: $52.49/night per adult and $21.75/night per child. I know individual food prices at Disney are probably high, but what I'm trying to find out is how much money do you really save by using this Quick-Service dining plan vs. not using a plan and just buying the items yourself? Also, if none of us are interested in using the refillable mugs feature, and if we only drink water bottles that we bring into the parks (which we will have pre-purchased by the case, so it will be less than $1 per bottle), would it make sense for us to just pay as we go, or would the Quick-Service Dining Plan still be beneficial, cost-wise?

I can only give you my experience so here goes. We have always used the dining plan but since prices increase every year, on our last trip we just paid out of pocket so I had something to compare. Our most recent trip was just last week. Based on 2 QS meals and 2 snacks per day we saved about $10 a day by paying out of pocket instead of using the dining plan. Hope this makes sense.

I can only give you my experience so here goes. We have always used the dining plan but since prices increase every year, on our last trip we just paid out of pocket so I had something to compare. Our most recent trip was just last week. Based on 2 QS meals and 2 snacks per day we saved about $10 a day by paying out of pocket instead of using the dining plan. Hope this makes sense.
Yes, that is kind of how I was thinking it might work out, but wasn't sure if I was way off base... I haven't researched average prices yet but was kind of guesstimating that if a QS meal costs about $16 and a snack might cost $5 (again, just guessing at these prices), that would come to $42/day per adult. Adding in say $5 for 5 bottled waters per day (which is over-estimating in my opinion, since we could also just refill with free tap water), that still only comes to $47/day per adult, $5.49 less than what's allotted in the QS plan.

It's a bit difficult to come out ahead on the QS dining plan unless you're spending the energy to specifically seek out the higher priced meals and snacks (some meals and snacks are the prices you guessed, many are lower, and a few are higher). One thing to keep in mind, though, is that if you enjoy an alcoholic drink the 2018 plan includes one beverage (including alcoholic drinks like wine, beer, and cocktails) with each meal credit. With the exception of MK, a lot of QS places do have at least one drink option. So if the adults might get at least 2 drinks per day (or maybe one person likes to drink more and the others give their drinks to those that want them), it can be more likely to save you money. As an example, the food courts at the all star resorts have alcoholic milkshakes that cost about $12, so if you wanted two similar things (or a milkshake and a margarita, or a mimosa costs $10 from all star movies), that can easily alter the equation by $20+ per day.

Not that you would or want to drink that much, just to keep in mind

It's a bit difficult to come out ahead on the QS dining plan unless you're spending the energy to specifically seek out the higher priced meals and snacks (some meals and snacks are the prices you guessed, many are lower, and a few are higher). One thing to keep in mind, though, is that if you enjoy an alcoholic drink the 2018 plan includes one beverage (including alcoholic drinks like wine, beer, and cocktails) with each meal credit. With the exception of MK, a lot of QS places do have at least one drink option. So if the adults might get at least 2 drinks per day (or maybe one person likes to drink more and the others give their drinks to those that want them), it can be more likely to save you money. As an example, the food courts at the all star resorts have alcoholic milkshakes that cost about $12, so if you wanted two similar things (or a milkshake and a margarita, or a mimosa costs $10 from all star movies), that can easily alter the equation by $20+ per day.

Not that you would or want to drink that much, just to keep in mind
Yeah none of us really drink alcohol all that much, I doubt we'd use that option. I can see how that would be beneficial if you do drink, though.

With 3 senior citizens, 2 of which will be using ECVs (I haven't been on here in a while and my memory's rusty, is that the right acronym? lol) I doubt we will do much seeking out of the higher priced meals... I think we'll be lucky to simply keep the group together and all make it together to the nearest eatery!

Yeah none of us really drink alcohol all that much, I doubt we'd use that option. I can see how that would be beneficial if you do drink, though.

With 3 senior citizens, 2 of which will be using ECVs (I haven't been on here in a while and my memory's rusty, is that the right acronym? lol) I doubt we will do much seeking out of the higher priced meals... I think we'll be lucky to simply keep the group together and all make it together to the nearest eatery!
Out of pocket is a great option for you, then. It allows more flexibility without feeling like you're missing out on the full value of the plan. Disney counter service meals can be huge and filling, so sharing should be encouraged (I've shared one between three adults before so that we weren't too full to snack). If you're worried about feeling bad about spending the high cost of Disney food, you can alway put what you might have spent on the dining plan on a gift card instead. Spend freely on snacks and food as you want them - act like you have the dining plan and everything you want is prepaid. You'll still have money left on the gift card for souvenirs.

Out of pocket is a great option for you, then. It allows more flexibility without feeling like you're missing out on the full value of the plan. Disney counter service meals can be huge and filling, so sharing should be encouraged (I've shared one between three adults before so that we weren't too full to snack). If you're worried about feeling bad about spending the high cost of Disney food, you can alway put what you might have spent on the dining plan on a gift card instead. Spend freely on snacks and food as you want them - act like you have the dining plan and everything you want is prepaid. You'll still have money left on the gift card for souvenirs.
Thanks, you've been really helpful!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter