• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is Pearl Habor a must?

mort1331

DIS Veteran
Now not to direspect the area or anyone. My kids are 10 and 14 never heard of PH, we are Canadian so not on the top of our history lessons here. I am a funeral director so intrest to me in that type of history.
We are flying from east coast and staying 7 nights in March 2020. With all there is to do on the island I want to make sure the kids will be engaged the whole time.
Thanks

Being that you are Canadian, I would say that its not a must do. Its not your history so I can understand why you, especially the kids, may not feel the need to pay respects in the same way. Its a solemn site and IMO, a must do for any American, but I'm sure its boring even for American kids in that age range. In addition to that, it also can be a full day commitment depending on how and when you obtain tour tickets.

If time permits, you could always visit the site and tour the free memorial area. You only need tickets to take the boat out to the site of the Arizona memorial or the USS Missouri tour. There's still a few things to see in the free portion that is not ticketed and can be toured at your leisure. I would caution that theft is rampant there and parking can be a challenge later in the day, so if you do this, go early and pay to check your bags at the office to the right of the entrance. Don't leave anything of value in your car.

The first time I went to Pearl Harbor I was 11. I was very interested in the history and soaked in every second. I was the only one from our swim team (we were in Oahu for a swim meet) allowed to go because my coach knew that I would love it. That said, talk with your children and show them the site and discuss the historical significance it had on WWII. Let them decide if it is something they want to do.

@mort1331 I'm going to echo what you've already heard. Because you're not Americans and its not your history, I see no disrespect in opting not to visit PH and the Arizona. If you're kids are big into WWII history or history in general, I'd say go. If not, skip it.

In my travels, I've visited a number of military museums / memorials in the UK. While I find it really interesting, especially the units that fought in the "colonies scuffle," my kids would have been bored and I wouldn't dream of taking them only to have their boredom effect someone else's time in what could be a solemn location.

Enjoy HI!

Thanks all,,for just doing 7 days i feel there is more time to do other things. If we are fortunatly to get to go back again later, we will visit then. And the girls will be older and appreciate it for what it truly is.

Peal Harbor is not just US history, but part of World History. The deck of the USS Missouri, where WWII ended, is especially important to all nations. We need to take the time to learn the history and acknowledge the lives of all nations lost in the war, so that a world war is never repeated again.

-Paul

Peal Harbor is not just US history, but part of World History. The deck of the USS Missouri, where WWII ended, is especially important to all nations. We need to take the time to learn the history and acknowledge the lives of all nations lost in the war, so that a world war is never repeated again.

-Paul
Paul,
I am loving your comments today!

-Paul
I think each country has their own end of WWII. For us in the Netherlands, it's May 5th, in Hotel The World in Wageningen where the Orders of Surrender are signed. We don't commemorate WWI. France does WWII on May 8th, WWI on November 11th, Belgium does both wars on November 11th, for the UK it's the 2nd Sunday in November to commemorate both on Remembrance Sunday.

Everyone has a different point of view of when and where it ended. With that the significance is different for all.

Would I go to Pearl Harbor if I ever end up in Hawaii? Probably not, unless I have days left. It's a place that has no significance for me, and I don't have a particular interest in war-related history.
If we are taught anything about the role of Japan in WWII it's in relationship to Indonesia, as that was back then still a Dutch colony. We are not taught about Pearl Harbor or anything that came with it. History about WWII in schools is about what happened in Europe, and maybe a line 'and these countries were fighting too'. The United States are only a topic when we talk about the allies, together with Canada.

To me it always feels a bit wrong or weird to visit a place that has so much significance to others as a tourist. I feel the same when I visit a temple in Asia, or the Notre Dame in Paris (when we still could).

If it weren't for America entering the War, it would have ended very differently and the world would be very different today. So it IS important for everyone.

That being said, if you don't want to go there I see no issue with not going. You don't have to go see the memorial to learn about it.

It’s fascinating and somber, but certainly not a “must”, any more than visiting the World Trade Center memorial is a “must” for visitors to NYC.

The exhibits are well done but I didn't feel like there were enough historical remnants there to give it much additional context. I wouldn't feel bad skipping it as I feel like you could get the same thing reading a book about what happened on that day.

/unpopular opinion

I couldn't have said it any better. I enjoyed the USS Missouri. It was a weird combination of 1940s and 1980s vibe. Just to stand in the place on the surrender deck was humbling. I can't think of a more important historical location in the past 100 or 200 years than Pearl Harbor. Saying Pearl Harbor is just American history is like saying the Holocaust is just German history.

The exhibits are well done but I didn't feel like there were enough historical remnants there to give it much additional context. I wouldn't feel bad skipping it as I feel like you could get the same thing reading a book about what happened on that day.
There are still bullet holes in the hangar windows on Ford Island, bomb marks on the old flightline from the attack. You can stand over the USS Arizona where 1100 sailors died in a matter of minutes. The historical remnants don't get much more real than that.

I couldn't have said it any better. I enjoyed the USS Missouri. It was a weird combination of 1940s and 1980s vibe. Just to stand in the place on the surrender deck was humbling. I can't think of a more important historical location in the past 100 or 200 years than Pearl Harbor. Saying Pearl Harbor is just American history is like saying the Holocaust is just German history.

We've done the private Missouri tours a few times. I highly recommend doing these if they're available.

I am also Canadian. It is certainly a must do. Canada was in WW2 as well so to say it isn't part of our history is grossly mistaken. My grandfather was captured and his brother was killed on Christmas Day, he was a POW for more than 3 years and was housed on the USS Missouri before being brought home after he was rescued by the Americans. The Arizona is ok, the Missouri tour is great, the Bowfin tour is great, the aviation museum is ok

We have no interest in going at all. I don't want to go see a mass grave on my vacation. I don't want to be reminded of the horrors of WW2 because I heard plenty of horror stories of what my family went through during the war. I know what happened there but have no interest in "seeing" it. It is for these same reasons why I did not visit Auschwitz when I was in the area. It's a personal decision. There is no right or wrong. If you don't want to go, then don't.

Was a must for us;we did it twice.The Missouri,standing on" it" with all it's historical importance, was,is, hard to describe the feeling.Idk for others,but for us to fly from Ottawa to honolulu,took approx 15 hrs.That was with a short layover in washington,d.c. and then 10.5 hours in the air to honolulu.It was one of the main reasons for going.For us ,there's not enough to do and see on Oahu in 7 days for us to not see Pearl Harbor.I wouldn't go all the way there for only 7 days though;just getting used to the 6 hour time difference took a few days;We were "up' between 2 and 3 the first few days and that was pushing it.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter