Is NYE on the ships particularly formal dress?

bobbiwoz

I'm happy to dance with you!
Someone asked on our thread, and I have never been, so I am asking here.

Bobbi

We were on the Wonder 7 night over the most recent NYE. It was our formal night, which as I understood, they try to schedule that way whenever possible. I'm not sure it was any more formal than a regular formal night though. We were on the dressy side of the crowd, not wearing full-length gowns, but cocktail dresses and suits. Many people changed after the dinner/show portion of the evening, b/c they didn't want to attend the deck party / fireworks in dressy clothes. I hope this info helps!

Someone asked on our thread, and I have never been, so I am asking here.

Bobbi
We sailed on a 3-night Magic cruise over New Year's. Its formal night was New Year's Eve (embarkation night), which was somewhat more formal than formal night on our Fantasy cruise the following year. That might have been due as much to the clientele as to the holiday (the Magic cruise was primarily South American nationals, and the Fantasy cruise was primarily Americans). I still wouldn't describe it as very formal, though. It's a Disney cruise, and a lot of families consistently dress down on those, even on formal night. I don't remember seeing any tuxedos.

There will be all range of dress at dinner and at the New Year's party, as some people like to dress up, others don't, and Disney won't enforce a dress code...

Last edited:
We were on the Wonder 7 night over the most recent NYE. It was our formal night, which as I understood, they try to schedule that way whenever possible. I'm not sure it was any more formal than a regular formal night though. We were on the dressy side of the crowd, not wearing full-length gowns, but cocktail dresses and suits. Many people changed after the dinner/show portion of the evening, b/c they didn't want to attend the deck party / fireworks in dressy clothes. I hope this info helps!
We were on the same cruise. The formal night, at least to our eyes, was not more so than usual. There are always people in tuxedos/long dresses, cocktail dresses/suits, collared shirt and khakis, funny faux-tux t-shirts and some people who just don’t care. The ratio didn’t seem different compared to our other cruises. We also changed to normal clothes for the deck party. It was tightly packed on the deck and champagne glasses were getting spilled so we were happy we did.

It was on our 2003-2004 cruise on the Magic, but it clearly could have changed like Marc D indicated.

We were on the same cruise. The formal night, at least to our eyes, was not more so than usual. There are always people in tuxedos/long dresses, cocktail dresses/suits, collared shirt and khakis, funny faux-tux t-shirts and some people who just don’t care. The ratio didn’t seem different compared to our other cruises. We also changed to normal clothes for the deck party. It was tightly packed on the deck and champagne glasses were getting spilled so we were happy we did.

Yes, cruising has gotten less and less formal as the years have gone by.
My first cruise in 1980 tuxes were required on formal night. There was one seating for dinner on that ship, at 6 pm, no alternate dining options, and formal night dinners took about 4 hours, instead of the 3 hours on other nights.

Our first cruise was a seven night NYE cruise in Dec/January of 2010/2011. My DH and adult sons all wore tuxes and the ladies wore long dresses. Most guests were more dressed up then I have seen on any subsequent cruise. I think it was probably a combination of NYE, a longer cruise and the times as tvguy mentioned. If I ever cruise again over NYE, I would feel most comfortable dressing up although not necessarily tuxes and long gowns. There will undoubtedly be guests in casual clothes though. Have fun and happy sailing, Bobbi.:boat:

7 night Fantasy NYE 2014/2015 was listed as formal. I poured my son into a tux that matched mine. My wife and daughter wore party dresses. We were not the only ones dressed formally, but we were in the minority. I really love the photos from that trip, so much so that I plan to bring my tux every cruise. I'm ok with over-dressed...

The question has come up again, and we are getting closer.

Are there any more comments? Is there a special menu for either NYE or NY Day?

Thanks!:)

We are booked on the Wonder NYE cruise for this year. I've asked for the schedule of what nights will be what as far as casual, formal and semi-formal night. They don't have that info yet, so who knows if they'll schedule formal night for NYE or not. I think for formal nights on both the Christmas sailing and NYE, people do get a bit more dressed up than on formal nights on regular sailings. For regular cruises, my husband will either wear a suit or a tux, depending on how dressed up we are wanting to do for that particular sailing. My daughters and I will either wear short cocktail dresses or long, depending on if he wears a suit or tux. For Christmas & NYE, he almost always wears his tux for formal night and I usually wear a long dress and the girls usually wear a long one unless they have a very dressy/formal short one.

Hope this helps! ºOº

Even if it's not designated formal, if you feel like dressing up, no one is going to stop you and say "Sorry. You can't come into the dining room because you're dressed formally and it's not formal night!" (Just like they aren't going to turn you away on formal night because you're not in a tux or ballgown.)

You do you. If I were to cruise over NYE I'd just dress as I normally would regardless - I don't consider NYE a big deal because technically every day is a new year. :P

They give out champagne and apple cider on the top deck so no real need to buy a bottle ...some people did but since we are not big drinkers it was nice to get one free to bring in the New Year.

We too changed after dinner out our formal clothes before going on top deck.

We sailed the Magic over New year's this year. It was not a formal night, but there was a special menu. I was not impressed with the menu - I would rather have had one of the regular menus or the Captains menu.
NYE was fun as we sailed alongside the Fantasy. We got to watch our fireworks and theirs. Also got free champagne and kiddie cocktails on deck at midnight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter