• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is my Government jeopardizing my safety?

piglets

DIS Veteran
So, have any of you driven to the World recently after the government indicated that they would not support the U.S. in this campaign?

Americans need to know that perhaps not all of us have the same feelings - should I be driving with the Stars & Stripes on my antennae along with my Mickey ball?

Just wondering if any other Canadians have run into any upset Americans along the way....

Considering not all Americans supported their own president I wouldn't worry about it.

If you run into any trouble just remind them of this:

On November 4, 1979, some Americans escaped the riots in Iran, and hid in the Canadian Embassy. What the Canadians did put them (The Canadians) in great danger. The Americans were kept a secret, and given fake Canadian passports and snuck out when the Candian Embassy was closed.

Four days after the storming of the American Embassy, Canadian Ambassador Taylor received a call from five Americans who had escaped from the Embassy when it was overrun. They were hiding, but they were afraid that they'd soon be discovered and captured. Ambassador Taylor immediately recommended to his government in Ottawa that Americans be given shelter. Without any hesitation, the Canadian Government granted the permission. Two days later, the Americans were taken to Ambassador Taylor's residence and that of another Canadian Embassy family. Two weeks later, another American joined his five compatriots. For 79 days, they lived there pretending to be visitors.

This act of Canadian courage virtually made our passports trash, but we did it to help our friends, our family to the South.

Has anyone received the Rick Mercer Apology Email? It's pretty good. Email me and I'll send it to you. fitness_sandra@hotmail.com

I hate to disagree. I just returned from a brief trip to Pennsylvania and the Americans are very aware of our position. I don't think Canadians are in any danger, but I think we are not seen nearly as favorably. And yes, many Americans disagree with the decision to go to war - they do not, however, have government officials calling the President a "moron", or a poor statesman. Most of their elected officials do not say that they "hate the bast**ds" either. The tone of moral superiority adopted by our government has not helped.

Unfortunately, most Americans have likely forgotten about the "Canadian caper". Those who remember may also be aware that when the CIA opened some of their files in 1997 it was discovered that this was largely a CIA operation - albeit with the aid of the Canadian government and diplomats.

I was not proud to be a Canadian on my most recent trip. :( :( :(

You should never, ever stop feeling proud about being a Canadian. :eek::eek:

The political voices and believes of Governments change all the time, but being proud of one's country should not.

All we can do when travelling in the USA is to feel for the friends and family of those who have lost family members and those who have family members serving overseas.

Giving support in this way, one on one, with the people you meet when travelling in the USA is the best way to endear oneself with our friends to south.

I was in WDW the week before the first gulf war and it was something to see young men and women not yet out of their teens spending their last hours having fun at WDW. Talking to these, what to me seemed like children, about going to war they all said that they do what they have to serve their country. They did not fully understand the need for war, but it was their duty to protect the right to freedom.

When you travel in the US talk to the people and give them your support and best wishes, it's all that we can do at this time. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

OT - I think I'd go for the car! (re: cruise or car).

With respect to being proud - it was awfully tough last week to be a Canadian in the US. We were really "piling on", so to speak. You weren't too eager to say "I'm from Canada!" when you checked in to a hotel, when they'd just seen (and heard) their anthem booed in Montreal and their flag burned in Ottawa. You just sort of hoped they didn't notice your license plates or the fact that you were using US travellers cheques issued in Canada. It felt very different in the US this time. I was also in FLA during the Gulf War in '91 - you're right, there was a definite sense of trepidation in the air. At least then, we didn't seem to be trying to provoke them as some have been lately. I hope and continue to pray for the best.

There are some very interesting points here. I, as a Canadian, have always thought that the world 'loved us'. "Oh, look honey, a Canadian, isn't she NICE...hey Canadian, say ABOUT for me, say HOUSE! Do you know my friend Bob, he lives in Alberta?" My opinion of what the world thinks of Canadians changes with each trip my Dad takes. My father travels the world, my brother lives in South Korea. As a matter of fact, all my aunts, uncles, cousins travel the world. Each time my dad returns from the states, Russia, Greece, Italy, UK, Ireland, the Caribbean, where ever, he tells me that the world doesn't love Canadians (they do in Greece, he LOVES Greece.) He says that they 'put up with us'. The locals usually look at my Dad as an American first, and they are terribly rude to my Dad. When he says he is Canadian, they lighten up, but still aren't the warm cuddly hosts that we Canadians are. Maybe we are just going thru what Americans have gone thru for years. When I meet someone travelling to Canada from another country, I am thrilled. I have lots of questions. "Hey 'Guy from Dublin' do you know my friend Liam in Belfast." LOL! S

Most of us Amiercans do not hold the average Canadian people responsible for all the actions of a small majority of your government. I know that we are friendly neighbors and more often than not you have been there for us. A few days after 9/11 I was driving down the QEW and will never forget observing a man waving a hugh American Flag on a bridge over the QEW. I got a lump in my throat and knew our good neighbors to the North felt our pain and were there for us. We have a few morans making decisions for us too!! Some decisions I agree with some I do not but right now we have to support our troops and their families. Let's pray this ends soon. I wouldn't feel threaten in the least to come over to the US. I have heard no one remark on this and we would welcome you as a visitor to our country. Now if someone started a demenstration of some sort that would be another matter I am sure, but a tourist would be welcomed. Come on down and I hope to see you next month at WDW!!

Thanks everyone! As always, the voice of reason comes through and soothes the anxiety.

I love going to the States; whether it be yet another Disney trip, or just a quick run over for a meal or some shopping. I have always encountered lovely and friendly people. To think that we may not share that same repoire (sp?) would break my heart.

Now, if I can only calm everyone's fears about the SARS issue, I may get to go on my holiday!

This is wonderful being able to hear everyone's opinions. I do think we should give strong support to the American troops and their families. Regardless of how things have progressed, these troops are risking their lives in a very real war. I give the same support to all the innocent Iraqi children. My heart aches to hear of anyone losing their loved ones.

Just a short note on American feelings towards Canadians.... some people I know went shopping at a Watertown mall and came out to their car and found key marks all over the car...Very sad.

I feel bad for the American troops over there fighting I have no respect for Bush and his tactics of you do as I say or else I know Saddam must be ousted but I disagree with how Bush is going about things. IMHO he will not get re elected and neither will Tony Blair

I respectfully disagree. I don't think this is the place to be debating though, so we'll leave it at that.

Hi Disfan2 I respect your opinions as I respect everyones and it is ok to voice opinions that is what makes both the US and Canada great places to live I have alot of friends in the US and I know that they are dealing with a very tough situation and have been since Sept 11th. I also don't much care for our Liberal government I want the Conservatives back.

Posted below - #3 is my personal view. I can deal with Canada stepping aside but the comments have been really really childish from this government. Alas, what can you can expect from someone who decides they can go lame duck and have a 15 month retirement!!!

Here are some reasons why I am not changing my plans and I am going to WDW:

1) As a non-combantant, the best thing I can do to support is to continue to lead my life as much as normal - that includes work, travel, play, spending, saving, family etc.

2) I will not live in fear and will live life to the fullest extent possible with the tools and abilities that I have.

3) As a Canadian not terribly pleased with my government's attitude (even though we supported in Afghanistan and lost troops both in enemy and friendy fire we should be helping in Iraq as well), the most direct benefit I can give to the US is to travel and spend my money there in support of the citizens and residents of the U.S.

4) WDW is one of the things that helps make the U.S. what it is - love the country or not love it, it is a unique place in the world and WDW is one the places that makes it so.

Thanks
Jason

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter