Is KS now opening later than the AK itself

I've been waiting until my date to post this question, so I was thrilled to see this pop up. My plan was to RD KS on the Monday after Easter, it has 7 a.m. emh. AK is now a real headache for me to go to on an emh day because my family doesn't do big coasters or thrill rides yet. I'm not running into Pandora for Navi, i have a fastpass for that. Which means I'll be rope dropping It's Tough to Be a Bug LOL! My plan is to see that, grab a quick breakfast snack of some sort and then take a slow walk to the Safari, where I plan to wait until they open. Now here's hoping they open ks at 8 that day and not 9, that would really throw a wrench in things.

Info from this morning at Animal Kingdom (3/3). It was an 8am park open with 7am EMH. App showed KS with a 5 min wait so I hoped they actually did open it, but when I got there the CMs were standing out front letting people know it doesn’t open until 8. I got back around 7:55 and they had started filling up the queue with a 15 min posted wait. They didn’t start running it until 8am. I had an 8:05 FP and they let me in the FP queue at 7:57.

Actual safari was good. It was a bit chilly this morning and some animals weren’t out. But others were pretty active-wild dogs and cheetahs running around (I think they had just been let into their enclosures). Lion sitting proudly on the edge of the rock-pretty much as close as he could get to the Safari Truck! At first I was worried no giraffes would be out as there weren’t any on the Savannah, but turns out they were all eating in a group near their entrance to the enclosure, so it was cool to get to see a whole Tower!

Gorilla falls also doesn’t open until 8, and Maharajah doesn’t open until 9.
Thank you! This is going to come in super handy on Monday!

Thank you for this update! Any idea how quickly the line built? We will do Navi, dinosaur, EE, then get to KS around 830.
By the time I saw the front again it was posted 35 minutes. But I did the Gorilla Falls trail first, so that wasn’t until 8:45. I don’t know if it was accurate or not.

By the time I saw the front again it was posted 35 minutes. But I did the Gorilla Falls trail first, so that wasn’t until 8:45. I don’t know if it was accurate or not.
We were at AK last month on a 7am EMH day. KS opened at 8. We got there I think about 8.15-8.20 and the wait said 25 min which was pretty accurate, it went up to 45 not long after. It was a very busy day though, we got to Everest just after 8 and it already had a 40 min wait

Report from today with 7am EMH and KS opening at 8. We rode other rides first then got to KS at 8am
The line looked backed up and said 35 min wait. Line didn't move until 810. The CM was telling ppl 50 minutes. I trusted my gut and stayed in line. We were on the ride by 825.

Last edited:
Report from today with 7am EMH and IS opening at 8. We rode other rides first then got to KS at 8am
The line looked backed up and said 35 min wait. Line didn't move until 810. The CM was telling ppl 50 minutes. I trusted my gut and stayed in line. We were on the ride by 825.
Yep, was there the same day. I got breakfast at Kusafiri- they were letting people line up for the ride at park open, but they didn't start letting people into the queue until 7:55 maybe? I just enjoyed my breakfast and got in the FP line shortly before 8. I was in the first row of the second vehicle that day and it was AMAZING. So many active animals and several were right on or next to the trail. Perhaps the best safari experience I've had- only two downsides were we only got to see the male elephant- no Stella or mommy- and the mandrills weren't out- probably too chilly.

I am trying to see where you are finding the individual ride/attraction hours. I can see the park hours, but not the ride/attraction hours. I do see where you are finding the wait times, but I would like to be able to determine a day or 2 ahead what I should be initially rope-dropping. If I need to do a few rounds of Everest before I head over to KS, I want to be able to anticipate that. Any help?

I am trying to see where you are finding the individual ride/attraction hours. I can see the park hours, but not the ride/attraction hours. I do see where you are finding the wait times, but I would like to be able to determine a day or 2 ahead what I should be initially rope-dropping. If I need to do a few rounds of Everest before I head over to KS, I want to be able to anticipate that. Any help?

This changes weekly, but I often use the Times Guide as a resource: http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/p/weekly-walt-disney-world-times-guides.html

Also Disney's website for each attraction as well.

We got back last night and had gone to AK on Tuesday which had an 8:00 opening. The times guide listed KS as opening at 9:00 (normal Tuesday opening time?) but when we walked back there CM's were saying it would open at 8:30. We left to get some breakfast so I don't know what time it actually opened. As a side note, I hadn't been able to get a fp+ for FOP so took the advice often repeated on these boards (THANK YOU!) and got to AK one hour and 15 minutes before rope drop. Got through the various holding points and was on and off both FOP and NRJ by 8:20. It was awesome! We probably could have been done quicker but I was traveling with a party of eight and we didn't run as fast as the people running past us once we scanned our magicbands to get in. Quite the experience though.

I was there thursday March 1st. Park opened at 8 am. KS didnt open until 8:30. We were in line when they opened up the que right at 8:25 we were on safari by 8:35.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter