Is it worth it to burn a ticket at MK on a MVMCP day for “lower” crowds?

princesslover

DIS Veteran
For reference, we are staying at Boardwalk Villas Dec 20-22. We are staying at the Grand Floridian Dec 22-24. The party in MK is the 22nd. We will have already split the previous day (Dec 21) between Epcot and DHS.

The morning of the 22nd, we will be checking out of the Boardwalk. Our options are to skip over to EPCOT or DHS that morning to ride anything missed the previous day (because we are doing a half day at each Epcot and DHS the previous day) or bus to MK to take advantage of lower crowds on the party day before party goers arrive. Then head to GF to relax, have dinner etc and enjoy our free night.

Either way, we will also be in MK on the 23rd. So the 22nd is not absolutely necessary. It would just be a “bonus” MK day and because we are at a MK resort. I’m anticipating the 23rd (a Friday) is going to be a madhouse in MK so I’m wondering if an extra day is warranted.

As usual, I’m overthinking. But hope my question makes sense. Which strategy would work best?

Not sure how you want to spend your time or what you wish to accomplish at each of the parks? We visit each park for 2 days (with the exception of AK) so a 1/2 day at Epcot and DHS would be a challenge for our family.

Historically MK crowds are slightly lower on party days.

Honestly I would go where there were attractions I wanted to visit. Since you have PH tickets there is no reason why you can't hop on the 22nd unless your preference is to do only one park that day.

Not sure how you want to spend your time or what you wish to accomplish at each of the parks? We visit each park for 2 days (with the exception of AK) so a 1/2 day at Epcot and DHS would be a challenge for our family.

Historically MK crowds are slightly lower on party days.

Honestly I would go where there were attractions I wanted to visit. Since you have PH tickets there is no reason why you can't hop on the 22nd unless your preference is to do only one park that day.
It’s really hard to know ahead of time if there will be attractions we still want to visit in Epcot or DHS. This is why I struggle with the park reservation system.

Would it make sense to go to, say, DHS for a couple of hours that morning (using rope drop) and then around 11:00 or so bus to a MK resort for lunch (thinking WL Geiser Grill), then boat to MK from about 1:00 4:00? Or would any “benefit” of lower crowds have passed by that point?

Historical crowd levels no longer apply. I would expect Dec 22nd to be insanely crowded with long lines for food, merchandise, rides and bathrooms. With a park hopper you can book several rides from 2-6 pm (w Genie+ plus two LLI$ (expected to go back to 2 paid LL Aug 8). If not using Genie+, I would think 2-6 pm would have extremely long lines from people who purchased a full day ticket, park hoppers (who couldn’t get MK park reservations) and party goers.

If you are planning on staying until the end of the night then most rides will have lower waits at that time.

For our March trip, the low crowd level predictions by TP were changed just a few weeks before our trip.

Last edited:
Having a party that day isn't necessarily a bad thing. Our best day ever at MK was a day the park closed early for MNNSHP. But that was on a very low crowd day during a time when people were not going to WDW as much (during the Great Recession). I'd be wary about doing it during the Christmas holidays with Disney already jiggering wait times by limiting ride throughput.

Historical crowd levels no longer apply. I would expect Dec 22nd to be insanely crowded with long lines for food, merchandise, rides and bathrooms. With a park hopper you can book several rides from 2-6 pm (w Genie+ plus two LLI$ (expected to go back to 2 paid LL Aug 8). If not using Genie+, I would think 2-6 pm would have extremely long lines from people who purchased a full day ticket, park hoppers (who couldn’t get MK park reservations) and party goers.

If you are planning on staying until the end of the night (crowds would be lower towards the end of the party) then most rides will have lower waits at that time.

For our March trip, the low crowd level predictions by TP were changed just a few weeks before our trip.

Yes we will have Genie+.

Maybe I wasn’t clear - we are not getting tickets for the party on the 22nd. (I was going to, but changed my mind). So we would need to leave by 6:00. So lower crowd levels toward the end of the party would not make any difference to us.

It is sounding like we should just go back to either DHS or Epcot on the morning of the 22nd, then just rest in the afternoon assuming our GF room is ready. . Maybe we will go resort hopping to check out the decorations. MK seems like a nightmare that day no matter how you do it.

I appreciate the input!!!

Last edited:
#1. You will need to make Epcot reservations and try for Virtual Boarding Cosmic Rewind and / or try for Individual lightning lane $$ first and foremost Because it is the most awesome and you will want to go again & again …
And then plan to hop wherev…

Next thing to remember, you have dates that are wrapped around a weekend that also happens to be a Holiday and also happens to be the last day of Holiday Sold Out Party at MK , sending guests to other parks but more than likely to MK … because that is when the holiday parade & fireworks are free for guests…
We‘re talking really crowded planning for your dates.

Sorry , but you will have fun too !
Its crowded So what …better than sitting at home .
The worst part is transportation . But just remember You get to sleep when you go back to boring daily life !
I‘m excited for you . I will be at Poly and BLT 12/29 - 1/2/2023 !
Every year … I don’t let crowds scare me and I am in my 70s !

Last edited:
I would personally rope drop MK, and then hop elsewhere later. I don’t know how much of a difference party vs non party days will make for your dates, but it doesn’t hurt to try. For my family, I also know that we like spending more time at MK so we wouldn’t mind having two MK mornings

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter