Is it truly cheaper off site ?

tink15823

DIS Veteran
My we are planning our daughter wish trip through the Sunshine Foundation for children with chronic or non curable illnesses. We are a family of 5 we will be gifted $2000 toward her trip . We have never stayed off site but I am not anticipating any deals this fall for on site . We can stay at Shades of green or through Veterans timeshare. It would be much less than prices listed for the five of us on site .Then I’m add in Parking and a car . We generally have a dinning package and don’t mind the bus at the resort. If we stayed on site it would be two value rooms . Off site it would be a two room suite . Sorry I know I’m rambling but it’s been a long year. TIA

First of all, prayers to your family. I hope your vacation planning and the future trip are magical.

There are a few variables to consider:

Magical Express vs car rental or at least a ride back and forth from the airport (assuming you're flying)
Yes, room accommodations is where you'll save the money, B U T.... time is money to my thinking and the time getting to the parks from within the WDW proper vs outside those boundaries could be over an hour each way!!
The pools are just so much more kid orientated and fun feeling at WDW.
Its nice having the extra days to make your FP's - this only is why I doubt I'll ever stay offsite again. I'd stay in Disney Springs resorts as long as I got the same
perks: 60 day FP and extra AM/PM Magical hours.
Delivery service of resort purchases so you don't have to carry that around all day and night. I know now everyone buys stuff when vacationing but I do!!

First of all, prayers to your family. I hope your vacation planning and the future trip are magical.

There are a few variables to consider:

Magical Express vs car rental or at least a ride back and forth from the airport (assuming you're flying)
Yes, room accommodations is where you'll save the money, B U T.... time is money to my thinking and the time getting to the parks from within the WDW proper vs outside those boundaries could be over an hour each way!!
The pools are just so much more kid orientated and fun feeling at WDW.
Its nice having the extra days to make your FP's - this only is why I doubt I'll ever stay offsite again. I'd stay in Disney Springs resorts as long as I got the same
perks: 60 day FP and extra AM/PM Magical hours.
Delivery service of resort purchases so you don't have to carry that around all day and night. I know now everyone buys stuff when vacationing but I do!!
Thank you for the prayer we live off them more than anything. I never thought about lugging things back and the FP or time to get into the parks . We also travel the parks at a slower pace and didn’t take that into account or her chair .

Thank you for the prayer we live off them more than anything. I never thought about lugging things back and the FP or time to get into the parks . We also travel the parks at a slower pace and didn’t take that into account or her chair .
I think on site would make it easier to take breaks throughout the day.

Yes, offsite is definitely cheaper! You can rent a 3BR condo for less than $100/night. We're a family of 6, so we rent a 4BR house--there are cheaper options, but we value our space.

Windsor Hills is the development of choice--it's a little more expensive, but it's gated, has excellent resort amenities, and is literally 5 minutes from WDW. You could stay a little further out (say, another 510 minute drive) and save more money. YOu'll still get to the parks faster than waiting for the WDW buses.

In addition, you can cook a few meals if you like, and/or eat much more cheaply in offsite restaurants. House rentals have private pools and hot tubs. Some have game rooms, grills, video game and movies available, etc.

Now, some does depend on any specific needs you and your child might have. For example, if they have dietary restrictions, you'll really appreciate having a full kitchen to use. OTOH, if you need to rent a van with a wheelchair lift or need other equipment, that will get pricey, quickly. Disney is very good at accommodating things like fridges for medications, and having well-trained staff in the first aid stations in the park (which you can use, regardless of where you stay).

We just got back 2 weeks ago and stayed offsite. I had priced out a room at a moderate with free dining and with my rental car, parking, resort, tickets, and food I still paid less than the moderate w free dining (and required PH tickets). It NEVER took us more than 30-45 minutes to be inside a park from our rental and that was on a super busy MK day. Other than that, no more than 20-25 minutes most days. We were able to get all the ADRs we wanted, some closer to the trip.

Have you looked into give kids the world in Kissimmee?
I believe that is make a wish village for terminally ill children . Sunshine Foundation has a village with a few cute little cottages but the demand for dreams far out numbers the cottages. Autumn has been on a waiting list since 2012.
She had a cheerleading accident in a pyramid and it caused spinal cord damage. Her coaches panicked and moved her before we could get to her . So long story short her spinal cord shorts out sending her body to stop working correctly. It’s totally random and one minute could be walking, talking and full speech and vision . Then she could have a seizure and not see , walk , talk or know us for weeks , days , month. We have learned to value every moment and to never take little things for granted.

We have stayed many times at Windsor Hills and at several on site resorts as well.
1. Pools- The pool area at Windsor Hills is better than the value resorts onsite, about the same as the mods, but we really love the villas with private pool and hot tubs (open 24/7 and never crowded ;). If you don't care about pools or resort amenities, there are lots or other very nice, less expensive houses and condos.

2 Transportation- Driving from our door to the gate is almost always faster to EP, HS, and AK. MK is faster on busses. With a scooter for grandma, we chose onsite hands down for convenience. You need to decide what would be easiest for your family in terms of transportation.

3. Food- If you enjoy dining plan and eating big meals on site, then get the Deluxe dining plan for ONE of your two value rooms. Lots of fun family meals without stressing over the ridiculous cost of each. If you prefer to save money or have more control over diet, the full kitchen off site is by far our biggest cost-savings. I find it much less vacation-y when I have to plan and cook meals, but others prefer it.

While finances are important, I recommend choosing for comfort and convenience whenever possible. Less stress = better trip for all. Please feel free to ask us more questions. We are happy to help in any way!

I believe that is make a wish village for terminally ill children . Sunshine Foundation has a village with a few cute little cottages but the demand for dreams far out numbers the cottages. Autumn has been on a waiting list since 2012.
She had a cheerleading accident in a pyramid and it caused spinal cord damage. Her coaches panicked and moved her before we could get to her . So long story short her spinal cord shorts out sending her body to stop working correctly. It’s totally random and one minute could be walking, talking and full speech and vision . Then she could have a seizure and not see , walk , talk or know us for weeks , days , month. We have learned to value every moment and to never take little things for granted.

Oh man, I am so sorry that is just awful, my heart goes out to you:grouphug:.

Thank you for clarifying that. I had only heard about GKTW through an acquaintance whose daughter volunteered there. It’s a goal of mine to volunteer myself one day.

I’m so sorry to hear about your daughter’s accident. I pray you all have a wonderful trip.

Another option could be Bonnet Creek Resort. It is “onsite” but technically not. It is virtually across the street from the Boardwalk area and next door to the Caribbean Beach resort. We have stayed many times in a two or three bedroom condo for about $120 a night. I believe the rates are a little higher now, but still much less than a single hotel room at most of the Disney resorts.

The resort itself is beautiful and the pool areas are amazing. You would have multiple bedrooms, bathrooms, washer and dryer and full kitchen.

We rent a car so we can come and go from the parks as we please.

It is the best of both worlds...saves a ton of money and is pretty much onsite. It’s just not a Disney owned resort.

Hope this helps!!

Just research reviews of hotels before staying off site. We had a great experience once and a terrible hotel the next. We did save money we just didn’t like the traffic driving back and forth. May God bless your family!

We've stayed both on and off-site and there are plenty of hotels that are just as close as the resorts, and they are cheaper and often nicer. Even when staying onsite, sometimes we drive, and again, it's not always faster or easier to take the buses. When we took my dad a few years ago, he had a scooter and it was SO much easier to just drive there and park in the disability parking spot than to deal with the buses.

Thank you for clarifying that. I had only heard about GKTW through an acquaintance whose daughter volunteered there. It’s a goal of mine to volunteer myself one day.

To further clarify if you're interested, GKTW is for children ages 3-18 with "life-threatening" illnesses. (Make-a-Wish defines this as "critical" illness-- suffering from a progressive, degenerative or malignant condition currently placing the child's life in jeopardy.) They determine with the child's doctor if they are eligible.

My nephew received a trip to GKTW a few years ago because his wish was to meet Buzz Lightyear. Because it's presented as always being only for "terminal" kids, my sister became extremely upset when they received a call that he had been nominated by his doctor and nurses. She immediately assumed that meant that the doctor had determined he would definitely not survive (he had stage 4 cancer). He is now 3 years cancer-free and they plan to volunteer at GKTW as a family once he is old enough.

To further clarify if you're interested, GKTW is for children ages 3-18 with "life-threatening" illnesses. (Make-a-Wish defines this as "critical" illness-- suffering from a progressive, degenerative or malignant condition currently placing the child's life in jeopardy.) They determine with the child's doctor if they are eligible.

My nephew received a trip to GKTW a few years ago because his wish was to meet Buzz Lightyear. Because it's presented as always being only for "terminal" kids, my sister became extremely upset when they received a call that he had been nominated by his doctor and nurses. She immediately assumed that meant that the doctor had determined he would definitely not survive (he had stage 4 cancer). He is now 3 years cancer-free and they plan to volunteer at GKTW as a family once he is old enough.
God bless your sister and nephew . GKTW is an amazing organization we were nominating for Sunshine Foundation through our doctors because I thought the same thing and your sister .

Another option could be Bonnet Creek Resort. It is “onsite” but technically not. It is virtually across the street from the Boardwalk area and next door to the Caribbean Beach resort. We have stayed many times in a two or three bedroom condo for about $120 a night. I believe the rates are a little higher now, but still much less than a single hotel room at most of the Disney resorts.

The resort itself is beautiful and the pool areas are amazing. You would have multiple bedrooms, bathrooms, washer and dryer and full kitchen.

We rent a car so we can come and go from the parks as we please.

It is the best of both worlds...saves a ton of money and is pretty much onsite. It’s just not a Disney owned resort.

Hope this helps!!
Thank you after you explained where it is I remember seeing it when we stayed at CBR . Definitely worth looking into .

We've stayed both on and off-site and there are plenty of hotels that are just as close as the resorts, and they are cheaper and often nicer. Even when staying onsite, sometimes we drive, and again, it's not always faster or easier to take the buses. When we took my dad a few years ago, he had a scooter and it was SO much easier to just drive there and park in the disability parking spot than to deal with the buses.
The driving and the parking with a scooter and a wheel chair are definitely a huge factor.

We're a family of 6 and when all of us are traveling we stay off-site. Overall, it's much more comfortable for us to rent a big villa (I use VRBO) and have a full kitchen, pool, separate bedrooms, washer/dryer, etc. than it is to cram everyone into two value rooms. Every time I've priced it out it's been less expensive too. I also find it easier to have some meals (mostly breakfast) at the house.

If you stay in one of the communities close to WDW it won't take you any more time to drive than it does to take the bus from the value resorts. In fact, we've found it's generally faster as you don't have to wait for a bus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter