Is it possible to pack light for a trip to Disney?

Packing for summer trips is so easy: shorts, tanks, sandals, flipflops, sunscreen:lmao: A cold-front passing thru will never happen.

On the otherhand, I've been in NOV when Florida had an "usually cool" week of temps and all anybody had ,at best was 2 thin sweatshirts and the jeans we wore on the plane. :scared1: I can laugh at it now thinking about all the people we saw that week with the same sweatshirts on that were all purchased on WDW property. Obviously the memo about the weather was never sent:lmao:

I would rather not purchase half a wardrobe while we're there, if I can avoid it! :) It could be hot or cold, wet or dry, when we go, so I need to have some of everything. What I need to do is watch the 10 day forecast as the trip gets closer and pack according to that. Or not, if the forecast is typically unreliable! Thanks.

I know I will be packing different on this trip as I usually go in August...so, I do wash once I am there and take as much clean stuff home as I can, however, this time, I am cruising first, then WDW and we may need jeans/sweatshirt..so..I won't pack as light as I usually do...

I'm sure I'd pack twice as much as I already pack if I were going on a cruise too :scared1: Good luck with that! It'll be a great trip either way, though.

I think some of it depends on what time of year you go. Wintertime? Long-sleeve shirts and long pants take up more room than shorts and t-shirts. But in the warmer months, you get much more hot and sweaty, so you might need to change clothes more often (I hate wearing sweaty clothes!).

I know you said you don't want to do laundry, but for me, it's worth it to take a two-hour break mid-trip and pack half as many clothes. I'm an over-packer by nature (and OP, it sound like you are, too!) and love the convenience of doing laundry mid-trip. Totally worth it to me.

I may have to do laundry. I don't mind laundry at home, just not my favorite thing to do when I don't have a washer/dryer close at hand. We're going when the weather could do just about anything, so I'd need some of everything, probably. Maybe the trick for me is to make my layers mostly lightweight (cotton capris instead of jeans, for example). I might be able to take more changes of clothes in the same space, at the same weight. Thank you!

Length of stay and time of year make all the difference.

For example, I usually go in the summer and it is HOT! My outfit pieces are very small (I wear a very small size), BUT I have to bring two outfits per day because I completely sweat through my clothing.

My last trip down was this past October - I got by with my wheeled carry-on, and a back pack as my "personal item." It was only a five day trip, so it totally worked. Didn't need heavy clothes, but it wasn't so hot that I had to worry about two outfits per day. It was perfect!

I haven't traveled to Disney in the winter, but I went to Vienna for almost two weeks last winter and got by on just a suitcase and carry-on. That's with full winter clothes, a few pairs of shoes, some nice clothing, and my music. (I was there to work on music at the opera house.) I made sure to re-wear my two pairs of jeans over and over and I wore my heaviest items on my body when I was on the plane.

Thanks! By the way I just read and enjoyed one of your trip reports! You have a great writing style and great pictures.

When we go, the weather could do anything, so if I watch the forecast when the trip gets close, I think I can pack more efficiently. I love jeans and jean shorts, but I should probably try to bring something else because they take up so much room and are heavy (and they don't dry after a water ride!). Thank you!

Packing folders and packing cubes are a packers best friend. May 2008 I decided to see if I coud do carryon only for 8 nights/nine days. I was able to squeeze 8 pairs of shorts and 8 thin blouses into one 18" packing folder which easily fit into one side of my Hey's 20" carry on. The other side of my carry on held a pair of flip flops, a pair of sandals, two sundresses (and a swimsuit) rolled into a med packing cube, 8 pairs of underwear and 8 bras in two slim packing cubes, along with a small packing cube that held makeup remover wipes, sunscreen towelettes and a few other odds and ends like a small solid lip balm, stick deodorant, small hairbrush, small comb, etc. My personal item was a small barrel shaped duffel bag which held my camera, cell phone, folder with itinerary and tips, chargers in a small Vera Bradley makeup bag, another small Vera Bradley makeup bag that had a few brushes and tiny screw together jars of mineral makeup, and my 3-1-1 bag. I had travel size bottles of my own shower gel, lotions, body sprays, etc in my 3-1-1 bag. My 3-1-1 bag also held three small screw together jars that I had put moisturizer, night cream and eye cream in, a tiny travel size mascara, and a couple of tiny travel size lip glosses. I carried makeup remover wipes and sunscreen towlettes so I didn't have to waste space in my 3-1-1 bag. It was tight but doable.

I'm impressed! I could do that, right? I love the idea of the packing cubes, it would make me feel so organized (never tried them). Thank you!

I am able to go with 2 suitcases for a family of 4 (2adults, 2children) and 1 carryon. Shorts get worn multiple times.

That's along the lines of what I'm thinking, but I like having my own suitcase so I'm not sure I'd like it. Maybe we could check 2 suitcases, but I pack most of my own stuff in a rolling carryon so I don't have other people rummaging through my stuff! Thanks :)

Just realized I read and enjoyed your trip report too! Hope your next trip was less stressful!

We have a family of three and use three carryons for Disney. For dh & I, we pack two pair of shorts, four tshirts, eight pair of undies and socks, one pair pj's and a bathing suit. For dd, we pack the same but increase shorts and shirts to eight pair because she always goes thru more outfits per day than one and I make custom ones for her. I usually do a load of laundry halfway thru and find it quite relaxing. I use space bags for our clothes. We also pack the minimum size toiletries and get double use out of some things--like we share a razor and dh uses hair conditioner as shaving cream (he says it actually works better as a moisturizer). We use one carryon for gifts from tink, toys, and snacks.

This inspires me to just pack light and do a load of laundry. Thanks!

It is but the trick is to not stress out!!! Make a list of essentials dont over analyze and just bring the basics! Clothes, shoes, phone, phone charger, camera, money, makeup, bandaids, papers for check in or magical express. :thumbsup2

I need to reconsider what I think is essential! I always fail miserably with the shoes and clothing (I bring too much, although I do tend to wear what I bring). Thanks!

the trip i am planning for august is the first time i am flying since the air added paying per luggage. i am planning 2 carryons...my camera bag will hold my wallet, meds, tickets wallet etc...
my other carryon i am hoping to get several days clothes.. i have 2 pair of denim capris - i am hoping for 2 days of each with 3-4 shirts etc.. then i will do one trip to the laundry room .. then that should get me thru my 8 days... plus the jeans i will wear down...i can wear once more there... i hope... although i hate to do laundry while i am on vacation, i am saving $35 each way for a suitcase :confused3 although i may still change my mind

the trip i am planning for august is the first time i am flying since the air added paying per luggage. i am planning 2 carryons...my camera bag will hold my wallet, meds, tickets wallet etc...
my other carryon i am hoping to get several days clothes.. i have 2 pair of denim capris - i am hoping for 2 days of each with 3-4 shirts etc.. then i will do one trip to the laundry room .. then that should get me thru my 8 days... plus the jeans i will wear down...i can wear once more there... i hope... although i hate to do laundry while i am on vacation, i am saving $35 each way for a suitcase :confused3 although i may still change my mind

It sure makes good financial sense to do the laundry! How much do you think it costs to do a load of laundry, if you don't bring your own laundry supplies? Thanks!

We have a family of three and use three carryons for Disney. For dh & I, we pack two pair of shorts, four tshirts, eight pair of undies and socks, one pair pj's and a bathing suit. For dd, we pack the same but increase shorts and shirts to eight pair because she always goes thru more outfits per day than one and I make custom ones for her. I usually do a load of laundry halfway thru and find it quite relaxing. I use space bags for our clothes. We also pack the minimum size toiletries and get double use out of some things--like we share a razor and dh uses hair conditioner as shaving cream (he says it actually works better as a moisturizer). We use one carryon for gifts from tink, toys, and snacks.

It sounds like we travel the same way. 4 of us just did 8 days in maui with only carry-ons. Nothing to it. My best tip is to roll your clothes. Organize and pack socks and undies in the big ziploc bags. That way clean socks & undies are never lost or confused with laundry. T-shirts and tanks also work rolled & in the big ziplocs. Seriously easy this way to go through security. We've received many compliments at airports. They could tear apart the suitcase in 30 seconds & re-assemble with ease if need be. No fuss, no clothes everywhere.

We also plan, knowing we will each buy a t-shirt or 2 on a trip. If our destination has laundry facilities we use it the last night and also travel home with clean, organized, bags.

We have had up to a party of 13 for thanksgiving & I have shipped nearly everything with no problem

I definitely won't have a W/D in the room, and I hate to go to the laundry on vacation, but on the other hand I hate hauling (and paying for) a lot of luggage. Thanks!

Reviving an old thread but...
A lot of laundry rooms @ the hotels are open late (or maybe all day/night? Not sure but I remember people doing laundry @ Pop until at least 11:30pm!) so just pick a night or morning to hang out at the hotel and do a load if you want to pack a bit lighter. You can hang at the pool and check on it periodically!

DH and I can fit all of our stuff into one large suitcase (but sometimes it's a tight fit!) and then use our park bag as our airport bag (with entertainment and snacks etc) but I think we can do a smaller one or even two carry on bags if we roll and organize better. Neither one of us are big on souvenirs so an extra bag for those is big issue for us!

Our last trip (to my fathers house) I packed Dh, DD's 5 and 8 and my clothes into one large suitcase and had a bag for dirty clothes. But I was able to fit all of our clothes into the one suitcase. I used the space saver bags. I put each persons clothes into a bag and sucked out the air. Each girl had 5-6 outfits, 4 pj's, lots of undies and 2 swimsuits. DH and I had two pairs of jeans, 4-5 shorts, a few dresses (for me), shirts, undies, bras and swimwear. I had a separate bag for toiletries.
If I can do it, believe me, you can do it too. I am a notorious over packer.

Does anyone know if you ask to borrow a vacuum from mousekeeping, will they let you? I would love to use the space saver bags again on this trip to Disney.

I do my best to pack light, since I do all of our packing.
We all normally wear each pair of pants/shorts multiple times, so it's really a matter of shirts taking up more room.
For a week stay, we normally can fit our stuff into 1 small carry on sized suitcase per person. I also pack a HUGE Disney tote that I bought on a previous trip to bring home anything we bought that won't fit into the luggage. That way I can throw my purse in the tote and use it as my "personal" bag.
Also, I have DS4 take his full size backpack. While he won't carry it all the way through the airport because it's heavy, I can always stuff more in that bag if I need to. So, yeah, I use my kid as a way to carry more bags on the plane... Oh well.

Me an DH are avid carryon only users. I didn't think it was possible, but I even did 7 days with a carryon and a Vera Bradley laptop bag!
The key is to use packing cubes which work really well.

I also always print out a UPS label before we go. That way if we can't fit souvenirs things in our carry ons then get a box from the hotel gift shop, slap the label on the box and ship some clothes back (don't want to loose the souvenirs) in the box. I am sure that Pluto enjoyed his trip home in my Vera Bradley rather than a box.

If you do plan on shipping from the resort, get a prepaid UPS label before you leave....Boxes and packing stuff is free, but shipping...well...

My husband and I just packed for our first trip together. 7 Days and we are each using one suit case. Mine is a little bigger than his, only because I packed some extra flip flops, and he will probably wear the same 2 pairs of sneakers all week. Other than that we have one cooler insulated bag for us to keep in the car *since we are driving* with some frozen water bottles and snacks. We actually had one extra suit case and I ended up condensing down some of my clothes so we didn't have the extra bag :) I was proud! lol

Doing laundry at WDW isn't so bad at all. Most laundry facilities are located near the pools and quite a few of us schedule a pool/rest break in the middle of the day anyway. Throw a load of laundry in before hitting the pool, enjoy the pool and maybe have lunch and drink and before you know it your laundry is finished

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter