Is it better to ride Hogwarts Express one way over the other?

Discussion in 'Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums' started by SteveMP, Jul 14, 2017.

1. SteveMP

SteveMP DIS Veteran

Just curious from everyone's experience if its better to start the ride from Kings Cross? Or does it matter? Or is it worth doing once each way? Is it different? Or is it the exact same experience? Have a couple HP fan teeneagers we are taking in Sept, and went them to enjoy all the HP stuff as much as possible.

2. ELSA711

ELSA711 DIS Veteran

It is different each way. We started at King's Cross and then did it reverse as well.

We wanted the experience from leaving Diagon Alley and seeing Hogwarts for the first time when getting off the train like in the books. We had a pre-teen girl next to us as we exited the train who said 'When I see Hogwarts for the first time I'm going to cry'.
    I thought that was so cute.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. SteveMP

SteveMP DIS Veteran

Oh, interesting reason! Glad I asked, never would have thought of that. I have a feeling even my 14 yo daughter may cry, she gets so into it. Has some costume robes and a wand but wants to get the "official" robes now. Thanks!

imprint and ELSA711 like this.
  5. ELSA711

ELSA711 DIS Veteran

Yeah, my two little ones got the official robes, wands and quidditch brooms. $$$$
    But it was fun and our first trip, they loved it.

6. danielocha30

danielocha30 DIS Veteran

Do start at Diagon Alley to have a booklike experience, the best part of riding first from DA is actually getting to plataform 9 3/4
    Have a great trip!

virge and SteveMP like this.
  7. bchbetha

bchbetha DIS Veteran

Totally agree!

SteveMP, DisHmsklMom and danielocha30 like this.
  8. SteveMP

SteveMP DIS Veteran

Cool, so glad i asked this, we are going to have so much fun! Thanks all!

ELSA711 likes this.
  9. ELSA711

ELSA711 DIS Veteran

It is so much fun. This mom loves HP as much as my kids (or more) and it was just beautiful. I even went over one morning alone during early entry to drink a frozen butter beer and take it all in while they slept in. Even upgraded to APs for our next 2 trips to Florida!
    Have a blast!

SteveMP likes this.
  10. FrankDIS72

FrankDIS72 Mouseketeer

I like starting at King's Cross Station. The queue is much nicer.

11. Disxuni

Disxuni Mouseketeer

Taking the whole which way is better to start off with, I'm just going to say my personal favorite ride experience (in general) is going Kings Cross to Hogsmeade village, due to the fact of what you encounter on the journey itself. It's a more interesting journey for me and it's reminiscent of another journey in the series that Harry experiences. I'm being vague, because I'm trying not the spoil.

georgina and SteveMP like this.
  12. sunsetbeachgal

sunsetbeachgal DIS Veteran

Definitely do both directions!! It is a different experience! The station at Diagon Alley is to be savored!

SteveMP likes this.
  13. kbelle8995

kbelle8995 DIS Veteran

No both ways are pretty fun. I love the Hogwarts express

14. TheConsciousness

TheConsciousness Coaster Skeptic

You guys are making me really count down my days until we get to ride again!

15. suedon70

suedon70 Mouseketeer

Wow I never thought about the train ride being different - we've only traveled from Kings Cross to Hogsmeade each time. We'll have to do the opposite next time for sure!

16. theSurlyMermaid

theSurlyMermaid DIS Veteran

King's Cross to Hogsmeade is the way to start but you have to do the return too. The rides themselves are equally great but the queue at King's Cross and just the general arriving like Harry would have makes that way my preference for sure.