Is Hogwarts Express worth it?

MinnieS11

Earning My Ears
I’ve never been on it and was thinking this would be the year to do it. I was looking at tickets, and thought about adding an extra day, to make it 2 days so that we’d have a tad more time. Now I’m wondering if paying for a two day park to park is worth it just for Hogwarts express.

If you are a Potter fan, it's great! There are so many great details in both the queues and the ride itself and it's really fun. On my first visit to Universal, my family and I tried to go through all the Potter stuff in the order it's encountered in the books - starting at Olivander's and Gringott's in Diagon Alley and then taking the train over to get to Hogwarts - and it was such a great experience because we've always all been big fans and it just felt like we were actually living the story!

If you're not familiar with the books or movies, though, I imagine it wouldn't have much impact beyond being sort of cute and probably wouldn't be worth it for that alone if you weren't otherwise planning to get the two-park ticket.

It's also important to note that during the actual train journey you get an "experience" both ways, so it's worth doing a return trip, preferably from US (King's Cross) to Hogsmead and then return.

100% yes. And not only is the train worth it but the ability to hop is worth it. It's really just 1 big park that they broke into 2 to eek out that $$. ;) It's so nice to be able to have the freedom and flexibility to go between the parks.
The HE is one of the rides my dh got motion sick on (that and Forbidden Journey). He had no trouble on Gringotts, Minions, Transformers, Spiderman, Simpsons... and I was the opposite! And I never have motion issues. I don't tend to hear others complain of motion issues on HE so wanted to mention it. The ride is smooth; just don't look out the window if it starts to bother you.

If you are a Potter fan, it's great! There are so many great details in both the queues and the ride itself and it's really fun. On my first visit to Universal, my family and I tried to go through all the Potter stuff in the order it's encountered in the books - starting at Olivander's and Gringott's in Diagon Alley and then taking the train over to get to Hogwarts - and it was such a great experience because we've always all been big fans and it just felt like we were actually living the story!

If you're not familiar with the books or movies, though, I imagine it wouldn't have much impact beyond being sort of cute and probably wouldn't be worth it for that alone if you weren't otherwise planning to get the two-park ticket.

This is the correct answer. Definitely worth it if you are a HP fan. Probably not if you aren't.

I am with the group that says YES if you are a HP fan (or traveling with one) otherwise it’s a great experience but not a make it or break it type experience. As others have said, ride it both ways.

I agree as well about it being well worth it if you're a Potter fan. If you're not and don't plan to do park to park otherwise I'd skip it. Personally I feel like the park to park is worth it in general as you get can between both very easily, but if you're only doing two days you could take your time at each park.

I’ve never been on it and was thinking this would be the year to do it. I was looking at tickets, and thought about adding an extra day, to make it 2 days so that we’d have a tad more time. Now I’m wondering if paying for a two day park to park is worth it just for Hogwarts express.
Totally worth it. Make sure to enter through the London/Universal side.

Totally worth it. Make sure to enter through the London/Universal side.
Will that be like riding it the first time, i.e. first book, Harry's first experience? Just curious. I've never been, but as a 54 yo, I've been through the books twice and the movies twice, so I'm a bit of a fan. DD14 hates to read, so she's only gotten through the first book and all of the movies and I tease her that I am a bigger HP fan than she is!

Will that be like riding it the first time, i.e. first book, Harry's first experience? Just curious. I've never been, but as a 54 yo, I've been through the books twice and the movies twice, so I'm a bit of a fan. DD14 hates to read, so she's only gotten through the first book and all of the movies and I tease her that I am a bigger HP fan than she is!

Yes you will enter Platform 9 3/4 in London (studios) and be taken to Hogsmeade (IOA)

I agree with PPs that it is a must do if you're a Potter fan. Its very detailed and unique, and something the whole family can enjoy together (not a thrill ride). You should make time to ride it from US to IOA and the reverse because the scenes are different going in the different directions.

If you're not big Potter fans, then worth would depend on your budget and how much you'll be able to take advantage of park hopping aside from the ride.

Reactions: AJA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter