is Great America worth it?

bumbershoot

DIS Veteran
I grew up in San Jose, and LOVED Great America.

But I know there have been changes made over the years (since the late 80s)...and I'm wondering if it's still worth it. Looks like they still have ONE rollercoaster I remember (The Demon), but everything else is different...

We'll be in the area for my HS reunion, and I was thinking about going on a Saturday (since it's only open weekends in Sept, that's my only opportunity), but will I just be sad the whole time, or can I adjust my expectations and still have a good time?

Also, are there any discount ticket places to buy admission ahead of time and, um, for a discount? :upsidedow

Thank you so much for any thoughts on Great America!

Great America was a favorite destination of mine as well. Late 70's into the 80's. Lots of great memories with my then girlfriend, now wife.

We haven't been back in awhile now, maybe 9 or 10 years or more. It had already changed a lot then, and from what I understand it's had a lot more changes since. There's a water park now, which is good, and some exciting roller coasters.

But gone are Willard's Whizzer, The Lobster, The Tidal Wave and some other rides I remember. I understand the Pictorium doesn't operate anymore either. The double-decker carousel is still there though, as is the Demon, Logger's Run, and some others.

They've had some security issues over the years, things that just weren't a problem "back in the day".

All that said, I might try to get the clan over there sometime this summer since we still live a reasonable distance away. My son likes roller coasters, so there's that.

I think if you go hoping for everything to be the same and to relive memories and all, you might come away disappointed. But if you go looking to have some fun at an amusement park, and along the way catch some glimpses of what you remember, then it could be fun. At least that's how I'm going to to try to approach it.

Added in Edit: I forgot. Your post prompted me to do a little searching on the current state of "Marriott's" Great America (That's the name I'll always remember), and I came across this unofficial site, which is pretty cool and has some info and pictures of some of the old attractions.

http://www.greatamericaparks.com/

Thank you!

Luckily I only have VAGUE memories (my reunion should be interesting, eh?) of my time (17 years) in San Jose, so trying to re-live things will be difficult. :)

grew up in south bay and still live here. we have season passes( me, DS6,DD4,DD2, and hubby) and go all the time. it is really different from when i was a kid, but we still love it. it is still fun but is more thrill rides. my kids love the kids area and the rides there are really different than before, also the train is gone and so are the dolphin/whale show. the revolution (spinning pirate ship,) grizzly, deamon, and log ride are a few that i remember from when i was a kid that are still there. if you can get a coupon (about $25) it might be a fun way to spend your day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter