Is Disney taking the 'Mickey' out of its resorts

I'd probably say they're taking the "Disney" out rather than the "Mickey", but I know what the OP means.

Traditionally, for me anyway, "Disney" has always meant something special, something extra, something unique ...in terms of quality, creativity, theming, guest service and detail.

That "Disney" does seem to be, somewhat, disappearing. (Making the price hikes comparatively bigger.) (And upsetting many of us who knew it 'when'.)

I just want Disney to be fully "Disney"! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I book boardwalk/water view rooms.
For me, a view of water is tranquil. Boardwalk rooms still have 2 small pictures depicting boardwalk type rides. The themed teacups lamp is gone, truly generic floor lamp in its place. Beige everything, drapes, shower curtain. I see this design great for staging units for sale. Generic and you can visualize your own stuff there.
Personally I prefer unique design like the rooms in the hotels we often stay at in Manhattan, in both the lower east side and mid town. The owners sourced unique items from all over the world. Haven’t found a room I didn’t like and the rooms in the midtown one have different items in each room. Makes it interesting.

Last edited:
I love the new rooms at the values. They are clean and fresh with a splash of Disney above the beds. To me they are the perfect place to relax away from the parks.

Here's the main issue with the Value resorts (I could be wrong, but this is just my opinion). You have 2 main reasons to stay at a Value (for the most part):

1.Cost - This is obviously the biggest reason people stay there.

2.Disney theme - Obviously, there are some that like the look of the rooms. However, many people return to the Values because of the Disney immersion, which has always included the rooms. In addition, a huge part (I can say this for myself for sure) is kids love the Values. Think about it. You take your 7 year old kid, check into the room, and see a Toy Story poster on the wall. They see the aliens on the wallpaper trim. They see characters on the bedspreads. They see hidden Mickey's on the carpet. Kids LOVE that. Now, they walk in and it looks like a Red Roof Inn with a small picture of Mickey Mouse above the bed. How is that fun for them?

As a 20 year old, I loved the look of the rooms. I loved staying in a room decorated in whatever movie building I was staying in. And at 42, I would still want that. Point being, those that like the new rooms, OK, they'll still like staying there. Those that don't like the rooms will look at them and think twice about staying there. Might as well just stay at a Fairfield Inn down the road for half the price. Seems like some are underestimating the importance of a how a room looks to people. If the look of the room didn't matter, Disney wouldn't have so many different themed resorts.

Here's the main issue with the Value resorts (I could be wrong, but this is just my opinion). You have 2 main reasons to stay at a Value (for the most part):

2.Disney theme - Obviously, there are some that like the look of the rooms. However, many people return to the Values because of the Disney immersion, which has always included the rooms. In addition, a huge part (I can say this for myself for sure) is kids love the Values. Think about it. You take your 7 year old kid, check into the room, and see a Toy Story poster on the wall. They see the aliens on the wallpaper trim. They see characters on the bedspreads. They see hidden Mickey's on the carpet. Kids LOVE that. Now, they walk in and it looks like a Red Roof Inn with a small picture of Mickey Mouse above the bed. How is that fun for them?

As a 20 year old, I loved the look of the rooms. I loved staying in a room decorated in whatever movie building I was staying in. And at 42, I would still want that. Point being, those that like the new rooms, OK, they'll still like staying there. Those that don't like the rooms will look at them and think twice about staying there. Might as well just stay at a Fairfield Inn down the road for half the price. Seems like some are underestimating the importance of a how a room looks to people. If the look of the room didn't matter, Disney wouldn't have so many different themed resorts.

I get you don't like it and I understand. :) I disliked Grand Floridian, Boardwalk and WL before the refurbs, now I would choose to stay at them!

Thing is, there are more people that either like it or just don't care than people who dislike new design.

Not to be harsh, but Disney doesn't really care if someone chooses not to stay because of new decor, someone else will be there to take their place. For now.

I get you don't like it and I understand. :) I disliked Grand Floridian, Boardwalk and WL before the refurbs, now I would choose to stay at them!

Thing is, there are more people that either like it or just don't care than people who dislike new design.

Not to be harsh, but Disney doesn't really care if someone chooses not to stay because of new decor, someone else will be there to take their place. For now.

That's where I don't agree. I don't see anyone who refused to stay at the Value Resorts now saying "I love the look of the new rooms. Let's stay there!" However, there will be those that say "Yeah, this isn't what I'm looking for when I stay at All Star Movies." Are they going to do this to the rooms at Art of Animation? Can't imagine people would be too happy about it.

In other words, long story short, I don't see the look of the new room attracting more business to the Values. If anything, it will be less.

Yep, because for everyone that is not happy about the new look, you have someone who is. I mean, I wouldn't stay in the old rooms at Pop or an All Star ever again (tried them once) and hated them. I would not go or would stay off site before staying in one. Now, however, if it fit the trip, I would stay in a renovated room. I'm certain I'm not alone in that too. So they aren't losing out in the whole on any numbers

That's where I don't agree. I don't see anyone who refused to stay at the Value Resorts now saying "I love the look of the new rooms. Let's stay there!" However, there will be those that say "Yeah, this isn't what I'm looking for when I stay at All Star Movies." Are they going to do this to the rooms at Art of Animation? Can't imagine people would be too happy about it.

In other words, long story short, I don't see the look of the new room attracting more business to the Values. If anything, it will be less.
Hah! I was posting the same time, so see my post.

Yep, because for everyone that is not happy about the new look, you have someone who is. I mean, I wouldn't stay in the old rooms at Pop or an All Star ever again (tried them once) and hated them. I would not go or would stay off site before staying in one. Now, however, if it fit the trip, I would stay in a renovated room. I'm certain I'm not alone in that too. So they aren't losing out in the whole on any numbers

Really?

See, I never had interest in staying at Saratoga Springs. They could decorate the rooms like Main Street USA and I still wouldn't want to stay there. I have to like both the room and the resort itself. Maybe I'm in the minority.:confused3

I just said that though - I didn't like the room designs at GF or Boardwalk before (looked very old, dainty lady to me) but now with new design I would totally stay there!

So, there are at least one of us (me) out there...:p

I actually stayed with my 7 year old in a renovated room at movies 3 weeks ago and he thought the room was a blast. He loved that his bed was hidden in the wall and that there was a surprise disney picture above it. He loved everything about our stay at Movies. He also found hidden mickeys where there were none because he's a child and uses his imagination.

Is that not MICKEY MOUSE art above the bed? Is there not also another character visible when you pull down the murphy bed?

Yes that is a pop art poster of Mickey I could likely buy at Walmart, so literally could be any Orlando resort. Yes there is a character after I pull down that laminate murphy bed. My point is nothing special, nothing that says it's a Disney hotel, nothing that shows special touches like they used to have for decades.

It would have been easy ........ Why not a subtle Disney design in the curtains? Why not some kind of Disney designed lamps - I mean there are about 12 lights in there including a giant unnecessary globe that could have been designed with a nod to where we are. We don't need all those lights, turn them all on and you are not only probably being sterilized but getting a tan as well. Why not a subtle nod in the bathroom tile? No need for colors but custom tiles to show they made an effort. There is literally no effort being made, something they used to pride themselves on. If you are going to continue to up the rates, at least put some nods to the bubble in the room since many folks use the bubble as their reason for paying those rates. You can update, make changes, make them cleaner (I like the new covers) while still maintaining a Disney look rather than looking like a national branded hotel/motel.

We will NEVER know how many really like or dislike the rooms because we are a sliver of the folks who stay at Disney, and we have no definitive vote here anyway to know how we all feel. I am sure there are tons who book their dream vacation (my sister did this at BC and after that booked offsite) expecting all the special stuff Disney alludes to on their commercials ............. only to arrive at a standard could be anywhere room. But there is no way to track this and no reason to proclaim otherwise because we have no facts.

..... honestly Disney does not care about repeat visitors. We are a non-issue for them. For years they have made it clear they want that family that is going to go big before they go home, spend tons without regard for value, feel you must stay onsite no matter the cost, think the dining plans are a great value and shop like they'll never get a chance again. So why make any extra efforts for these folks? I wouldn't. But I would also be prepared for all the folks who no longer feel the value, losing the feel of the bubble and feel the constant added costs (like parking) are unreasonable ....... to move to one of the many good options just outside the gates.

As usual, there is something for everyone somewhere and we should all book where we want to stay ... but that doesn't have anything to do with Disney is stripping Disney rooms of their nice touches to the themes they once prided themselves on. It is all part of Chapek's big box retail mentality.

Yeah, I think it would be a rare person who will now stay at a value because of the renovation, more like if they do it's because the rooms are going up so much, it is now their budget. The ONLY PLUS to the renovation for someone who refused it before is Queen Beds. There are still all the reasons not to stay there as before.

Really?

See, I never had interest in staying at Saratoga Springs. They could decorate the rooms like Main Street USA and I still wouldn't want to stay there. I have to like both the room and the resort itself. Maybe I'm in the minority.:confused3

AGREE!!!! There is a list of Disney hotels I won't stay at and it has nothing to do with the inside of their rooms, it mostly has to do with the hotel itself and the layout of the property. I have stayed at POP 6-7 times now with the renovation, great to have nicer beds, but nothing else about the room would cause me to book there if I hadn't wanted to stay before. Outside is still the same, doors still open to weather, lots of people, lots of noise in public areas, crowded food court ... all still the same. But I have gone back mostly because it's the budget I wanted ....... but now even that is disappearing.

Last edited:
@HopperFan

You keep speaking in facts when it is in actuality only your opinion.

You have no idea if someone would now choose to stay at a value because of the new room design. My opinion is it won't be rare at all.
It is your opinion that Disney is stripping the room of nice touches, while some of us think the refurbs are the nice touches...

Like you said, something for everyone.

Trust, I'm a BIG bubble believer and none of these new designs have done anything to burst my bubble, only makes it bigger. :)

A random, related story: We stayed at AOA in March 2015 and were originally booked for the Lion King suites, When we got there, we were given a choice of that, or a much closer room in the Cars section instead. I don't think I would be able to sleep with all those bright colours, at least the Cars suites had more restful shades of yellow, orange and red instead of looking like a box of Crayola threw up.

I guess my family is the rarity according to some. DH’s only stay at Pop was in 2008. He hated the double beds and said never again. DS15 & I stayed at Pop last summer and really liked the new rooms. DH is totally on board with another stay there now, solely based on the refurb. He likes the queens, the noncarpet floors, the new bathroom and all the added storage.

Once they renovate AofA, (assuming they tone it down a bit) I will be thrilled and will most likely stay there again.

Really?

Yea, Saratoga springs is not in my future either, way to spread out for me. Stayed at a value once, POP, when DD was 6. I’ll leave those for others.

No constant bubble for me. We stay in the Wyndham Bonnet creek presidentials, Hilton and Waldorf Bonnet creek when not at boardwalk. Great lazy rivers out of the bubble, my favorite herbal tea served at the Waldorf. It’s my own private bubble

A random, related story: We stayed at AOA in March 2015 and were originally booked for the Lion King suites, When we got there, we were given a choice of that, or a much closer room in the Cars section instead. I don't think I would be able to sleep with all those bright colours, at least the Cars suites had more restful shades of yellow, orange and red instead of looking like a box of Crayola threw up.

I toured the LK Suites ............. besides it being colors I do not like ......... it was theme decor to the extreme! The only suite I would stay in there is Cars.

There can be too much and there can be too little.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!