Is Anyone Else Afraid To Fly?

L

LISALISA36

WE WERE GOING TO DRIVE 16 HOURS INSTEAD OF FLYING.
MY HUSBAND SAID HE DID NOT FEEL SAFE TAKING OUR FAMILY ON A PLANE,,,,,I FINALLY TALKED HIM INTO FLYING,,,,BUT NOW I AM AFRAID TO BOOK THE FLIGHT.... NOW I AM AFRAID!
I HAVE ONLY FLOWN 2 TIMES ANY WAY AND HAVE NEVER REALLY LIKED IT,,,BUT 16 HOURS IN THE CAR WITH YOUR HUSBAND AND CHILD AND THEN ANOTHER WHOLE WK WITH THEM,,, WOW!
THATS A LOOOOOT OF FAMILY TIME! LOL
SO ITS 16 HOURS DRIVING AND 3 HOUR FLYING....
ANYONE ELSE FEEL THIS WAY?
THANKS,
LISA :rolleyes:

Don't be afraid . . .planes are flying every single day . . .flying is the safest mode of transportation . . .There are a million more car accidents than there are airplane accidents . . .

The first time I flew after September 11th was on July 4th . . .was I scared . . .YES! But, I flew anyhow . . .we are flying again on November 30th and then yet again June 28, 2003 . . .

IMHO I would chose a 3 hour flight over a 16 hour car drive any day!

I would much rather fly. I haven't flown a lot (10-15 times), but I have always enjoyed flying. This year I'm a little nervous because it's my first time in the air since 9/11 - and one leg of the trip is in a 30-seat commuter plane (yikes!) - but statistics show it's much safer than driving. And it's nice to have a short journey with someone else in the driver's seat - more of a "vacation" feel to it that way.

Lori

I'm with ya LisaLisa, I hate flyin also...however after taking a road trip this summer that included 7 extra hours of sitting in traffic....I'm gonna give in and fly to disney in sept. only 1 hr and 38 mins for the flight vs. 12 hrs of 'normal travel' not including unexpected traffic jams that go on for many miles. There's a great big beautiful tomorrow...it's worth the flight!:sunny:

I am a frequent flyer, and do worry a little bit about the safety - but then I remember that I have a much higher chance of being in an accident during the car ride to the airport than during the flight. Sit back, relax, if you are religious you could pray, and enjoy the flight! I always love hearing "Welcome to Orlando"!

I've been a nervous flyer all my life, and 9-11 only made it worse. I had to travel for business last December, and 2 weeks out I was a total wreck. I finally got up the guts to call my doctor. He gave me a prescription for Xanax, 4 pills, just enough to get me through. I took them 1 hour before the flight and I was fine. I felt completely normal, not drunk or dopey, but I had no anxiety AT ALL. I even tried to make myself nervous- no dice. I was functioning completely normally, I just wasn't scared. It was WONDERFUL. Definitely doing that again this year!

I always hated flying! I always got a cold or some sickness, or a migraine or something. The air is gross. And now it's just scary! I just don't think I could put my DS (he's four) on a plane now. I haven't flown in 5 years, although DH has flown to NYC a few times on business. We will be driving to Disney second time this year from Southeastern Mass. I know people will quote statistics on driving versus flying, but at least I feel like I have some control when I drive! I can choose when to drive, what roads to driveand when to stop. We had a great time driving down last time when DS was two. On a plane I have absolutely no control. I 'm a firm believer in not taking risks if I don't have to, especially with DS.

Lisa- I am the same way, dont want to drive but afraid to fly!! We flew last time (2hrs instead of 18hrs driving) and it was a very nice flight. Again, we are flying next month and it took me a couple days to get up enough nerve to actually buy the tickets (I kept holding them on the website but wouldnt buy). Anyway, I found a website www.flightview.com (click on current US air traffic). It made me feel alot better seeing how many flights are in the air every minute of everyday and rarely is there an accident. I just like seeing that there are 3,000 planes flying around so safely. Hope this helps. I am always looking for info to make me feel better about flying!!

Lisa,

To each his own. I have absolutely no fear of flying right now, but a massive fear of I95 after spending forty hours on it two years ago. DW is so scared to fly that she refused to fly down in September if there were any connections. The odds are in your favor with flying, but no one can make you believe that!

I wish you luck with whatever route you pick. But certainly feel "normal" with having a fear of flying. It seems to be a common concern these days. But take some time to read the links above and consider the odds. Plane "problems" may be more dramatic on the evening news, but the odds, while staggering both ways, are far more favorable in the air.

Best wishes,

Pat

:jester:

September 11 I was on vacation was going to go down the week after. I had not booked anything. Was going to book a few days later oh well. I did book for November I walked into the airport and I see all the people looking at the TV's and in NY a plane went down. Watching it for two hours and getting 15 phone calls I was just a little nerves and it showed. the gate attendent came over and ask if i was ok I pointed to the TV and for me she wraped it up in a nut shell.

1. Except when planes are deliberity crashed into things or when there is a colison. How often are there more then one planes crashing in one day.

2. (she could tell from the way i was dressed I was an EMT(I'm not a wacker i came right from work)) How many car and truck accidents do you have in your town every day.
When a plane crashes there are many people killed. It just Really looks bad.

3. If it's your time to go it's your time to go and there is nothing you can do to change it. but you could be at the right place at the right time to make a diffrence in the world.

I was still nerves but no where near as much as i was prior to our little chat. Which did pay off because there just happened to be a couple of empty seats in first class and I got to sit my butt in one of them.

I hope it helps

I've always hate flying but I keep telling myself that I'm on my way to the happiest place on earth and it keeps me thinking positive. We last went to WDW last Sept 27th and it was the first time I ever saw & heard my DH nervous. I was probably more relaxed - I just figured if I got a last minute gut feeling that it didn't seem right - I just wouldnt get on the plane -and the extra security didn't spook me - just made me feel more at ease. I also keep thinking that hijackers now have to know that we aren't going to put up with them. We're traveling with several family members this October and I know that we may as well have t-shirts that say "don't mess with us - cause we're going to Disney World!".

Hiya,
I have flown a lot. I also get motion sick! I take a prescription med going east west, but not north south. Seems going e/w or w/e is more bumpy, takes longer etc than n/s or s/n! I've always been nervous to fly only because I'm afraid I'll get sick. I usually get more worried that I'll get sick than actually getting sick, LOL. Anyway, we are planning (just paid the airfare) to go in December. I was a wreck about flying post 9/11. However, I am more a wreck thinking about driving from CT to FL with the kids and DH Aged 6 and 8 mos and 44 ! So we will fly. The way I look at it I could: take drugs xanax, motion sick stuff etc, drink (yeah right with 2 kids, hmmm maybe...) stay extra alert and knock the crap out of anyone who gets up (I want to be Sydney Bristow when I grow up!) or just relax, enjoy the trip and remember when we land we'll be in WDW and it will only have taken 3 hours or so. And, at least if something did happen, we'd all go together, and the likelyhood of that happening is next to nothing.
So, anyway, enjoy your trip...
Gret

I never was afraid to fly, went overseas many times as a child. I fly alot now, but after last September it is different. Although after being run off the road today (CELL phone user) and another car pulled right in front of me, I've got to say....you aren't always in control in a car, especially with a long drive and you get tried. Planes are still the fastest way and very safe as well. I don't think I could take a drive from Ohio to Orlando again....did it once and swore never again, especially now with a 6 year old.

I used to be a very nervous flyer, but did it because I don't want to waste that much vacation time. We live in MI and to drive down, be all tired.....I got on that plane and worried constantly about the wing flaps. Like I know a darn thing about wing flaps, but this plane crashed one time at Detroit and the wing flaps weren't right.....Anyway I was at a patient's house and mentioned to her husband about my fear. Well....turns out he was an ex pilot and boy did I get an earful. It sure helped though when I flew a few days later I left the wing flaps alone.

I have flown 3 times since Sept 11th and I guess I leave it to fate and really the chances of a terrorist being on my plane. Life's too short and I have too many other things to worry about.

As far as being in more control in your car. Yeah, to stop when you want and such but have you ever been in a car with a new driver????? I was sure wishing we had some kind of flashing neon sign to warn the other drivers. They don't learn much in drivers training. I was sure I saw angels for us or someone else a couple of times. I guess it's all about the illusion though.

We'll continue to fly because life is short (being an oncology/renal nurse I know that too well) and we want to make the most out of our disney vacation. Driving 22-24hours just doesn't seem that safe to me and stopping a couple of nights leaves us with no time at WDW. The risk of a plane crash seems pretty small compared to just about anything else happening. I think the more you fly the easier it is as well.
Now if I could just get over the chlostraphobia(sp?)I'd be a happy camper.

I LOVE flying. I hate driving. You might think you are in control until some idiot plows into you. No control there.
Fear of flying is a very real fear and should never ever be put down as silly.
We flew Sept. 14th last year, and I was a bit edgy, but, the flight was great. I have flown 4 times since last Sept. and I still think it is the only way to go. This year we are flying on Friday the 13th, am I nuts or what? :)

THANK YOU ! TO EVERYONE THAT HAS REPLIED TO MY POST!
WE ARE GOING TO FLY!!!
YOUR WORDS AND STORIES HAVE HELPED ME MAKE A DECISION.
THANK YOU AGAIN,
LISA;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter