Is a half day for Galaxy's Edge enough?

GaryDis

DIS Veteran
We're looking at arriving from Hawaii at either LAX or San Diego late at night, on a weeknight in early November, and driving to Anaheim. So between the drive, the time change, and a couple of weeks in Hawaii, we'll be worn out. But we went to Disneyland a few years ago, before Galaxy's Edge opened, so that we'll be happy just seeing Galaxy's Edge. I expect we won't show up at the park until noon or 1. Is that reasonable? We expect to stay in Anaheim two nights, and drive to San Diego for our flight back to Boston the second day. I wouldn't rule out a Bayou reservation, but we wouldn't be disappointed at simple stuff in the park or regular tourist fare on Harbor Blvd. (The flight back to Boston is fixed at San Diego. But our flight from Hawaii has yet to be fixed, hence the choice between LAX and SAN, and we could leave Hawaii a day earlier if really necessary.)

I'm not even sure we'll do Smuggler's Run, since my husband dislikes simulators. So it's mostly Rise of the Resistance.

Get an Oga's reservation!
Oga's looks like drinks and snacks. Neither of us is much into alcohol, and I don't eat meat. Do they really need a reservation? Is it that worth it if we don't drink and won't get the sampler with meat?

What a fun trip! A half-day is plenty. If you are Star Wars fans, I'd recommend going to Oga's just for a bit. You can tell them you'll wait a bit to sit at the bar (worth it). It's really for the atmosphere as opposed to the drinks/food. We only stop by Oga's for maybe 20-30 minutes but it's a great spot for photos/air conditioning. If you don't get the Blue Bayou reservation you mentioned, Docking Bay 7 Food and Cargo is surprisingly good for mobile order (and cold brew coffee). And I would not discount Smugglers Run. It has a simulator aspect to it, but it's really well done and the nerd-factor of being able to walk through the halls of the Falcon is off the charts. (If you enjoy playing video games, ask to be the pilots; if you want to watch and enjoy the adventure, ask to be the engineers; the third option -- gunners is mid-line involvement.) It's definitely not Mission Space.

It is more than enough time. If the Smuggler’s Run issue is motion sickness, it helps to sit in the back and be an engineer. It is pretty cool to be inside the MF.

Oga's looks like drinks and snacks. Neither of us is much into alcohol, and I don't eat meat. Do they really need a reservation? Is it that worth it if we don't drink and won't get the sampler with meat?

If you are Star Wars fans I still think Oga's is worth the visit. They have plenty of fun non-alcoholic drinks too. Oga's does have a walk up list as well though availability isn't guaranteed (but most here seem to report no issues getting in, especially if you are only 2).

Last edited:
I'm a huge Star Wars fan who doesn't drink and I love going into Oga's. Most of the time we order a non-alcoholic drink but sometimes we just walk in, take a look around, and then walk out. Note, we only walk in and out if we were part of the wait list (not a reservation) and we let the seater know as they are walking us in so they know they can get someone else in asap off the waitlist. So, to us it is worth it for the Star Wars atmosphere even if not drinkers.

sometimes we just walk in, take a look around, and then walk out. Note, we only walk in and out if we were part of the wait list (not a reservation) and we let the seater know as they are walking us in so they know they can get someone else in asap off the waitlist. So, to us it is worth it for the Star Wars atmosphere even if not drinkers.
This is really good to know! We don't want to eat or drink there but I'm sure my husband will want to look around.

The OP didn't say anything about being a Star Wars fan. For anyone except really hard-core Star Wars fans, a couple of hours is more than enough time to see what Galaxy's Edge has to offer. And if one can't ride Smugglers Run due to not liking simulators, that cuts another ~30 minutes out. Rise is definitely worth doing, but otherwise it's just a bunch of shops that largely carry the same merchandise. I wouldn't plan on an entire half-day in Galaxy's Edge.

My husband would disagree but for me a couple hours is fine. I don't like simulators but Smuggler's Run is fun and I love ROTR. but Oga's? meh I prefer the Docking Bay.

Galaxy’s Edge isn’t nearly as visually interesting as Diagon Alley/Hogsmeade. Rise is worthwhile, Oga’s is an interesting experience if you are a star wars fan, and you will need maybe an hour to poke around and shop. The good news is that with half a day you can do GE and other rides.

If you are a Florida family (coming from the east coast) it’s virtually identical to WDW. If so DCA (Avengers Campus, Carsland, Pixar Pier) may be a better choice to see something unique and special.

I thank everyone for all the discussion of GE and Oga’s. I think we will make it a point to stop in.
Also, my husband said he was disappointed by our last meal at Blue Bayou (partially because we weren’t close to the Pirate’s River). So we may look elsewhere for our sit down meal.

I think you and @SkipperDave are! There is absolutely merchandise repeated at many of the locations in Galaxy's Edge. I'll grant that there may be a small number of items unique to each shop, if you both agree that there's tons of stuff you can buy almost anywhere.
No, there isn't. Can you give any examples beyond the few exceptions I listed?

Name something you can "buy anywhere."

For me, I wouldn't bother paying the entrance price to get into the parks if I'm only spending 1/2 day there. But that's just me.

We were barely in GE. We wandered around. My husband did the rides. That was enough for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter