Is a Disney Cruise Worth it?

sherryb5

Earning My Ears
My husband and I are planning to take our 8 and 7 year old boys on a cruise this fall. We have done several Royal Caribbean/Carnival cruises. We have taken them to Disney World. Is a Disney cruise worth the extra expense? What makes it better/different than a typical cruise?

We are looking at November. Does anyone know if any promotions typically come available? I know with Disney the free dining comes out in May for the fall months, and wasn't sure if the cruise promotions followed suit.

I think you'll find on this board that people generally think Disney is worth it.

Promotions for Disney cruises are few and far between. If your family is military you should look for those rates, they also release rates for Florida residents. On some cruises Disney releases last minute rates they refer to these as guaranteed rates. You can usually book those within 90 days of sailing, you must pay the entire cruise fare at booking, and they are nonrefundable.

I have wondered this as well. We've never been on a cruise, but have often thought about doing one. However, we feel we would probably just go on one of the cheaper variety. I'd rather spend $400 than $1,600. Why is Disney so much more expensive and is it really worth almost 4-5x the price?

My husband and I are planning to take our 8 and 7 year old boys on a cruise this fall. We have done several Royal Caribbean/Carnival cruises. We have taken them to Disney World. Is a Disney cruise worth the extra expense? What makes it better/different than a typical cruise?

I have wondered this as well. We've never been on a cruise, but have often thought about doing one. However, we feel we would probably just go on one of the cheaper variety. I'd rather spend $400 than $1,600. Why is Disney so much more expensive and is it really worth almost 4-5x the price?

To save you both the time of waiting for replies, there are probably no less than five threads about this very topic on the first three pages of this forum. Each of those threads probably has 10+ pages of replies, with opinions from one end of the spectrum to another. These threads make for good reading.

We are looking at November. Does anyone know if any promotions typically come available? I know with Disney the free dining comes out in May for the fall months, and wasn't sure if the cruise promotions followed suit.

DCL doesn't really offer promotions. Guaranteed staterooms, or FL resident & military discounts, and that's about it. There are no "3rd and 4th passenger sail free" or "free wifi" promotions or anything like that.

We love to cruise DCL. The old-fashioned ocean liner style ships are beautiful, well-preserved and immaculately clean. The food and service are good. The theming and characters are fun. The staterooms are attractive and comfortable. It's a wholesome, kid-friendly environment, and almost nonstop family entertainment is available. Castaway Cay is a gem. Worth it for us.

Last edited:
To save you both the time of waiting for replies, there are probably no less than five threads about this very topic on the first three pages of this forum. Each of those threads probably has 10+ pages of replies, with opinions from one end of the spectrum to another. These threads make for good reading.
So well said (and on the nose) squirk!
Worth it is so subjective. Do what squirk advises and read up on the threads already out there. You'll get some really good thoughts that will give you both sides of the coin. Bottom line though, only you can decide if its 'worth it' for your family. What ever you decide, enjoy!

I'll go out on a limb here, and tell the truth. ....

No. .... Don't book DCL.

Not for the first time. It becomes addictive and an obsession.
It's like a fine wine, you will struggle to find again. lol.

Stay as far away as possible from DCL.

You will just want more. And DCL will still just suck your $$$. .....

They are a professional vacuum. Is DCL in vacuum sales?

If you don't love the sea, stay away.

Unless you have a large bank account. , lol.

If you understand the foreword, than book away. And buy vacuum bags.

JMTs

Last edited:

You are also comparing the $400 cruise to the CURRENT pricing of a certain DCL cruise. Unlike most of the other cruise lines, the price of a DCL cruise is cheapest on the first day it is released (18 months or so before the actual cruise). From opening day forward, the price of the cruise generally goes up as the ship fills. So the $1,600 price tag you see on the DCL cruise might have started as $1000.

Also some of the advertised prices you see on other cruise lines is per person and does not include taxes and fees. So that $400 price may be closer to $1000 for two people.

Disney ships are beautiful. Look up some of the images of their ships on the web, not just the exterior, but the interior spaces as well. Then look up the images of some of the ships of the other cruise lines.

Comparing DCL to the other mainstream cruise lines is like comparing Disney World to Six Flags. Is it worth it to you to spend hundreds of dollars more per day to go to Disney World? If you said yes, then you might feel the same way about DCL once you give them a try.

2 main reasons it costs more. Supply and demand. During summer months, there are only 3 Disney ships operating in North America. With so many wanting the Disney experience, it drives the price up. There is no way around that until new ships start sailing. During off-peak months, it is a much more competitive rate.

Second, other cruise lines offset fare with gambling. They expect to rake in from gambling they can offer lower rates upfront.

After sailing with Carnival for the first time last year (after 2 DCL cruises) my opinion is...

- I have a better Disney experience with WDW. If I want Disney, I'll go for the land vacation first.

- I love cruising just for cruising therefore I think we have more bang for our bucks when we cruise with another cruise line (because they are cheaper and offer a good product).

-If DCL charged prices similar to Carnival, NCL and RCCL, I would not hesitate to sail with them again because they offer a good product.

-I find the 3-4 night DCL cruises too expensive for my taste (since I've tried another line) but the lesser or two evils when compared to the price of longer DCL cruises. I would try a short cruise with DCL before thinking of investing in their very much expensive longer cruises, just to see if you find value in it.

As others have mentioned "worth it" is incredibly subjective. I think it really comes down to just how much you like Disney.

I've Seen so many analogies on this board comparing DCL to "other" lines:
Disney to Six Flags
Filet to hamburger
Classic elegant ocean liner to shopping mall
Refined passengers to ruffians

Honestly, I don't think DCL is that different from other lines if you take away the theming. I think almost every line has their ups and downs.

I've had some of the worst service and seen some of the worst behavior on DCL but also some of the best. It's just like any other time you're interacting in with a lot of other humans; it's a mixed bag.

I'm sure to some I sound like a Disney naysayer on these boards, but I'm not. I actually enjoy the product and have incorporated DCL into my vacation rotation in a way that works for me. That said, I cruised before Disney and I just don't see them as the one line to rule them all. DCL is an equal choice for me when comparing, not the standard to beat so I place a different value than some here.

I think that's basically the two perspectives you'll find on these boards. Some see DCL as the best that can't be matched and some see it more on par with other mainstream lines with added theming.

I thought the same thing (Is a Disney Cruise Worth It?) and for me it is worth it. I have sailed on a few other cruise lines (Holland America and Royal) and although I had a nice time the two important factors for me when I cruise are service and entertainment and those two other cruise lines (Holland and RCL) didn't even compare to Disney. If the destination or ports are more important to you than picking a different cruise line might be best especially if you are saving a lot of $.

Last edited:
Around May the 2018 winter cruises should be released. You can book mid November cruise for a good price compared to most DCL dates. It will be Merrytime Sailing. Opening day is best price for the most part. We find DCL is worth it. Family friendly and high quality.

I think your question is different then what's been asked on the other threads. Most people on here start on DCL and move away from it. You are an experienced cruiser on other cruiselines and are familiar with the Disney product. I assume you like cruising since you've cruised Carnival and Royal. I think it's worth it to try a DCL cruise at least once. One of the reasons we started cruising Carnival and NCL was for a change. I think DCL would be a nice change for you. Your boys are at the perfect age for it. As far as promotions go you won't see any on DCL. They will offer restricted rates usually about 20% off current price on select sailings in the Fall. If your flexible and not fussy about where your room is these rates can save you some money. DCL does not run sales like Carnival and Royal so don't expect that.

What makes it better then a typical cruise. You'll get answers all over the map on that one. I'm not sure it is better it's just different. You will have the Disney characters, movies...everything is Disney. Everything is geared for kids. The nightlife is pretty non-existent if that's important to you. Since you have kids that are a great age for it I would give it try. I don't think you'll be disappointed. I wouldn't go into it expecting service or food to be any better. Your paying for the Disney experience, and that alone makes it unique.

First, consider your sample size. It's a Disney Cruise forum on a Disney message board so the overwhelming response here will be yes. It doesn't make it right or wrong, but it is what it is. If you ask on cruise critic, the answers would certainly vary.

That being said, my answer is "sometimes".

What I might advise is to book something you're interested in, then read the forums. Do ALOT of research and see if the extra costs are worth it to you. Not me or anyone else, but you.

I like what Royal Caribbean offers on some ships. I like the activities, slides, pool decks, ice skating, bevarage packages, etc and I am willing to sacrifice a few things every now and then I might get on DCL (kids clubs, service, stage shows, etc) and save THOUSANDS by cruising RCL. Last year we sailed RCL, this year we are sailing DCL. Both are good, both have pros, both have cons and each year I look at them in a vacuum. Things are fluid (my budget, gas costs, airline costs, etc) so take a look and see if what they offer is worth it to you.

Just wondering what cruise your looking at Dream, Fantasy, Wonder, Magic? Also what week?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter