ipod, zoon, nano...what????

imthatgirl

DIS Veteran
can anyone school me on ipods and what ever else there is out there thats like it??

my 8yo announced last night that she would like an ipod nano for xmas...whatever that is but not a zoon. ive heard of an ipod, but i dont know what shes talking about a zoon?

sure ive heard of the ipod, who hasnt, but i dont know exactly what it is. i cant even tell you what it looks like, isnt that awful, im so uncool!

any help i can get here would be great!! thanks!!

My 8 (now 9) yo DD wanted an MP3 player last year for Christmas as well. We bought her the Sansa 1 GB player from Best Buy - it was less than $75 (I think around $60) and holds over 150 songs.

We wanted her to prove that she was responsible enough with it to deserve a "better" (more expensive) MP3 player like the IPod Nano or the Zune (which I believe are $200 or more).

She has been very happy with the Sansa - it is only about 1" wide by 2" tall and has a display screen - and no longer asks for an IPod.

Good Luck! I'm sure someone else will have much more technical advice to offer! :banana:

In my honest opinion you should try getting her an off brand from best buy or target. They work just as well and sometimes hold more music. The one downfall is they aren't as stylish and hip. Your 8 year old probably hasn't even seen the new nanos as they came out 2 days ago or so. Start her with a smaller cheaper one and have her show that she's responsible enough for an actual ipod. Or get her a shuffle. A shuffle probably isn't what she wants but its much cheaper ($49-$69) and it holds a more reasonable amount of music for an 8 year old.

A Zune from what i understand is actually alot better program wise then the i-pod and doesn't freeze as much but its bulky and pretty ugly.

If she still wants the nano have her work for some of the cost or tell her she won't be getting as many presents. The new nanos range from $149-almost $200

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod?mco=MTIwODM

theres the ipods if you'd like to learn some more about them.

Hope I Helped!

LOL If you plan to stick with the Ipod then I would suggest starting with an Ipod Shuffle. I got my daughters for $50. When she proved she was responsible enough she could get a regualr Ipod. We are getting her one for Xmas this year. I went with the shuffle because it uses the same itunes software. And they had it in purple. lol

In my honest opinion you should try getting her an off brand from best buy or target. They work just as well and sometimes hold more music. The one downfall is they aren't as stylish and hip. Your 8 year old probably hasn't even seen the new nanos as they came out 2 days ago or so. Start her with a smaller cheaper one and have her show that she's responsible enough for an actual ipod. Or get her a shuffle. A shuffle probably isn't what she wants but its much cheaper ($49-$69) and it holds a more reasonable amount of music for an 8 year old.

A Zune from what i understand is actually alot better program wise then the i-pod and doesn't freeze as much but its bulky and pretty ugly.

If she still wants the nano have her work for some of the cost or tell her she won't be getting as many presents. The new nanos range from $149-almost $200

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod?mco=MTIwODM

theres the ipods if you'd like to learn some more about them.

Hope I Helped!

the shuffle might work. i dont know ill have to, in passing, mention it and see what she says.

unfortunately she does know exactly what she wants, and its whatever just came out. my sil, whos 13 got one yesterday. she came home from her house beaming about it. then to make matters worse our next door neighbor came over saying she was getting on for xmas. shes 7, but i fully believe shes getting one, she has everything.
i wish i could get aay with saying if she wants it she wont get as much. but, santa brings all the gifts and "he makes his own". boy is that coming back to bite me now!!!

i wish i could get aay with saying if she wants it she wont get as much. but, santa brings all the gifts and "he makes his own". boy is that coming back to bite me now!!!

I told the kids that santa brings all the gifts, but that I get the bill.. lol Last year Lex (ds6 turning 7) asked for a DS, an Ipod and the Wii, in addition to 90000000 little things. I had to draw the line somewhere. She got the Ds and a shuffle.

*** plus i thought spending $200 on an ipod that she may never use or take care of was nuts. lol Now that I see it's not one of those gifts she uses for three days and throws in her desk and that she takes care of it, I am more willing to get her something a little better quality***

ok..so now tell me exactly what it is. i hate to sound stupid here, but im really not sure.
so, i buy this thing and its like a walkman with out cds, right? does it come with any music on it? can it get the radio, or does it need music? how do i get this music onto it? do i need to purchase something else to use it?

we got her the ds last year, and shes been great with it. i was a bit nervous she wouldnt take care of it or use it, but she does. we are getting my 4yo son one this year. this will be the year that 2 of my 3 kids get a big ticket item, its so far just been her. little boys are easy, lol. so i dont want to spend money on something she isnt going to use.

I currently have a Sansa-something-or-other. It's 4GB and plays video. I find it to be very useful. It also holds pictures, has an FM radio, records voice. It was under $200. I think I have 2 movies, an unabridged book, some songs, lots of pictures on mine right now.

DH actually just ordered me a new iPod Nano, 16GB (Lime Green, of course). It hasn't arrived just yet. It also plays video, which is what I really want and will play songs but doesn't have the FM radio capability.

MP3 players play music. You have to go to a website like iTunes or walmart and download your songs or video to put on your MP3 player.

I also just bought my DS4 a little 1GB iPod Shuffle. It think it holds like 150 songs or so. It's very small and can clip right onto his shirt. He loves it.

We have an IPOD touch, a 30G IPOD classic, an 8G Nano and a 4G Nano (my 12 year old daughter won this one in a raffle).

Before we tried the IPODs I had an off brand MP3 player and just never liked it. I love the IPODs (obviously). :)

I was like you and didn't want my daughter to have one until she was responsible enough for it. Then she went and won one and I didn't really have a choice. After using hers, we went a little crazy.

I like the IPOD better than any I have seen. We haven't had any problems with ours freezing up. Itunes is really easy to use and we have downloaded all of our CD's into it so we now have our entire music library in our Itunes account. We have started using Itunes to buy our music instead of buying CD's also. I am pretty sure there is an adapter you can get in order to listen to the radio but the standard is an "empty" IPOD that you load with our own music.

You can download games, movies, videos and podcasts onto them also besides music.

We are actually getting our 6 yr old daughters the shuffles for their birthday because they love listening to them. I will keep them and let them listen to them in the car and store so they don't get lost.

you all have been so helpfull!!

but of course i have more questions.

do you need to have a subscription to itunes, or is this a free service?
does an ipod take batteries, or is this another thing i will be charging?

Zune is another brand of Mp3 player. They start at 4g and cost around $130(give or take). They are the same size as an IPod Nano and has a lot of cool features, but I wouldn't get one as a starter for a kid. It holds about 1000 songs.

I would look into another Mp3 as a starter. The one advantage I-anything has is every accessory is geared toward IPods.

Hope it helps!

The software for itunes is free, but unfortunately the music is not! The songs are generally $.99, tv episodes are $2-3 and the movies are $10-15. I actually was with my daughters in Best Buy the other night and my DD4 asked to get an ipod (for the 100th time) like her big sisters (DD7). She had just gotten some birthday money--she is richer than me, and we are leaving for a trip to WDW on Wednesday, so I let her buy one with her money. (don't worry, she still has $150 in disney gift cards). She has not put it down, and now I dont have to worry about the girls arguing over it on the plane. It was one of the new nanos, in purple of course (her favorite color) and it was $149. I have loaded a movie they havent seen, and a couple of jonas brothers songs, along with about 60 other songs, so hopefully this will occupy them for the three hour flight.
The ipod charges through the computer, so no worries about the batteries. You can purchase a wall or car charger I believe, but I haven't found either one necessary.

seriously i would have to pay for every song that goes on it? theres no way to put her cds she owns on it?
oh now im rethinking the whole thing:scared:

you can definately put all of your cds onto it. It is really pretty easy. I had a friend show me the first time, but had no problem after a five minute "training". Sorry for the confusion...

you can definately put all of your cds onto it. It is really pretty easy. I had a friend show me the first time, but had no problem after a five minute "training". Sorry for the confusion...

oh, ok. she has about 60 cds, what a waste of money they would have been.

You have to pay for I tunes. The shuffle is awesome. The larger capacity I pods are useless. I have a 20 GB one but I store videos on it. There are not enough songs out there to load onto it

You can get a refurbished 4G nano (silver) for $79 or an 8G (all colors) for $99 at the apple store website. They come with a one year warranty.

On another thread that I started a few days ago on the budget board, someone posted a link to open a Discover card and after activation you get a free 3rd generation 4gb ipod. I am waiting for my card.

Does the 4 gb hold movies?

I'd say go for the Ipod. They are very user-friendly once you learn how to use them. And the new ones look great. I have the little "chubby" one that came out last Christmas. But the new oes screen can turn for movies and stuff, and it has a really neat "shake-n-shuffle" feature.

You can get a refurbished 4G nano (silver) for $79 or an 8G (all colors) for $99 at the apple store website. They come with a one year warranty.

yup, I just ordered a 4GB one. It came packaged and looks like it was brand new. I would recommend this route. It's about 1/2 the price for the samething.
iTunes is free to use, but if you download any music, it's a $1 per song. You can download some of the podcast for free and it's free to upload all of your CD's to the iTunes library.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter