Invisible Disabilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really hesitant to get a GAC for our upcoming trip because I don't look sick. I have daily chronic headaches, so I'm always in pain, to some degree.

I don't want people to think I'm a 'faker', especially since I've dealt with people thinking I was faking pretty much the problem started - including friends and family :confused3

The GAC is intended for people who aren't showing outward signs of a disability, so the fact that you don't look sick should be even more of a reason to get it, not a deterrent to it. If you believe it can help you, get it, use it when you need to, and don't worry about the people who judge without knowing the full story; if they want to waste their holiday worrying about what other people are up to, let them (and don't let it ruin yours).

Do what you need to have a magical time pixiedust:

It is TERRIBLE when people make remarks - especially about children. It's awful for anyone, but I think it takes a particularly warped and cruel person to ridicule or make insulting remarks about a child.

With that being said - remember that unfortunately we hear more about the bad things that happen here than the good. There are probably a 100 (probably more) people who will go out of their way to help you for every rude person.

While I wish that there were none of these awful people, please don't think that every line you get to will be filled with people waiting to jeer at you.

I was so apprehensive about renting an ECV for the first time last year. I can honestly say that no one did anything rude to me the entire week. I was alone and had so many people go out of their way to open a door for me or just give me a smile.

If you get a wheelchair, you can still walk a little of the time, some of the time, much of the time, most of the time, or heaven forbid, all of the time.

If you do not get a wheelchair, you MUST walk ALL of the time.

Can minors rent motorized wheelchairs or scooters from non-Disney outlets?

"I can walk -- only as far as first base."

It is unfortunate that some folks have to resort to wearing fake bandages to keep others from yelling "Faker" at them.

GAC -- Isn't that an apple strudel like substance they spill on you at Slime Time Live when the pipe coming all the way up from the Green Eggs and Spam (tm) pavilion across the lake is out of service?

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

Rude behavior from CM's in itself is wrong and the message will sink in better when you add a request for specific extra pixie dust (a coupl'a (sic) rounds of fastpasses?) when you file your complaint at Guest Relations.

"Do you like green eggs and Spam?
"Yes I like green Spam. It comes in a can."

I do know that feeling when people look at your child like they are a faker. Alex has CP and walks using a kwalker. When we have to be walking for long distances or grocery shopping we get a chair. I think people see kids in chairs and automatically think they are "playing" in them. :( As for fakers just know there is a special place in hell for these people and leave it at that because unfortunately there is not anything else that can be done about it. Or at least I have not found a way to deal with them.

We had no problems with CM's when we were at Disney this trip. Given we were with a large group of disabled kids but we did not travel as a group. So it will be interesting to see if we get the same treatment this time.

We had a woman in walmart say awww look at the big baby who can't walk. I glared at her and said no he can't walk he is disabled but thanks for being an a$$ about it... which my son thought was the funniest thing he had ever heard. :rotfl:

I'm really hesitant to get a GAC for our upcoming trip because I don't look sick. I have daily chronic headaches, so I'm always in pain, to some degree.
Please ask the following questions. Here are the suggested answers to go with them.

1. Are you disabled (even temporarily)? Yes.

2. Do the people you are travelling with, such as your family, know you are disabled? Yes.

3. Do you expect to meet anyone you know during this trip who may not know you are disabled. Probably No!

4. Do you expect to meet a bunch of people who you will probably never meet again in your life? Probably yes!

5. Is there any reason at all that you should care what these people think about you? Absolutely No!!

6. Will having a GAC, to be used if needed, make for a better vacation for you and your family? Absolutely YES!

Please ask the following questions. Here are the suggested answers to go with them.

1. Are you disabled (even temporarily)? Yes.

2. Do the people you are travelling with, such as your family, know you are disabled? Yes.

3. Do you expect to meet anyone you know during this trip who may not know you are disabled. Probably No!

4. Do you expect to meet a bunch of people who you will probably never meet again in your life? Probably yes!

5. Is there any reason at all that you should care what these people think about you? Absolutely No!!

6. Will having a GAC, to be used if needed, make for a better vacation for you and your family? Absolutely YES!

This needs to be stickied in a very prominent place on this baord and all other boards dealing with Disney and disability.

I can understand what alot of your saying. My son will be CANCER FREE this year. But this is our 3rd trip to Disney in 5years. The first trip was with Make a Wish and he was bald and weak and very very ill...on the verge of dying and people were so rude to us. It just made me cry. He had a hat on...and people thought he was just a lazy kid that didnt want to walk. He also got to cut in front (basically a fast pass) for every ride and people were very upset. He was wearing a special button. People can be so ignorant.

Last year when we went....he looks better, has hair and even though he is tiny for his age, looks normal. He needs a wheel chair....has one lung now, severe scoliosis and so on. The only real problem we had was getting a seat for the parade. They think we are trying to cut in to the handicap section. The family who was with a older lady in a wheel chair wouldn't move over to allow my son in front. There were very upset. These were adults with no kids mind you.

I find that people (even family sometimes) do not understand what its like. Its very sad. My heart goes out to all of you.

I can understand what alot of your saying. My son will be CANCER FREE this year. But this is our 3rd trip to Disney in 5years. The first trip was with Make a Wish and he was bald and weak and very very ill...on the verge of dying and people were so rude to us. It just made me cry. He had a hat on...and people thought he was just a lazy kid that didnt want to walk. He also got to cut in front (basically a fast pass) for every ride and people were very upset. He was wearing a special button. People can be so ignorant.

Last year when we went....he looks better, has hair and even though he is tiny for his age, looks normal. He needs a wheel chair....has one lung now, severe scoliosis and so on. The only real problem we had was getting a seat for the parade. They think we are trying to cut in to the handicap section. The family who was with a older lady in a wheel chair wouldn't move over to allow my son in front. There were very upset. These were adults with no kids mind you.

I find that people (even family sometimes) do not understand what its like. Its very sad. My heart goes out to all of you.
I fail to see whether a person has children has to do with the situation. A castmember should have asked these people to move the wheelchair or ECV over to allow your child in. Wheelchairs are on the rope and family behind. Also since we are 3 wheelchairs and we don't normally have the 3rd with us until close to parade (autistic child with other handicaps) you wouldn't know until the end if there is a child with us.

i have problems moving, and my weak joints are starting to give me serious injuries (i fell today and hurt myself pretty badly), but when I see a child in a wheelchair, i would gladly move to let them see! After all, disney is great for adults, but there is nothing greater than a child's smile when mickey waves at them!

i was lucky enough to walk and run and play with few health problems when I was little. I would never make life more difficult for a child who did not get to experience when i did.

god bless all you moms (and dads!) out there who defend your children. your kids may not realize it, but you're the best friend they'll ever have

The way some of the cm and visitors have treated others as mentioned in this thread is just totally uncalled for. I have Fibromyalgia and have had it for 11 years now. I have totally great days and then boom I have a flair up and I can barely move or walk. I have an almost 5 year old and an almost 2 year old (very stubborn/demanding personality) daughter(s). I have tried most pain meds for those who have FM and they don't work. Normally I suffer through it or sit down. Not sure if it technically counts as a disability, but wanted to let you know I can relate.

I don't want people to think I'm a 'faker', especially since I've dealt with people thinking I was faking pretty much the problem started - including friends and family :confused3
Before you go to request a GAC, be clear in your mind what sorts of needs you have and what sorts of accomidations you need.
The GAC is meant to provide accomidation related to disability, so there is not one GAC that gives one accomidation. The CMs stamp different 'messages' on the GAC depending on the needs of the person. If you request one because you have chronic headaches and pain, the CMs won't know what might help you and may not give you a GAC.

Some things I can come up with to think about would be:
- are there any things that make headaches more likely?
- are there things you need to avoid when you have a headache?

If you haven't already, I'd suggest you look at the disABILITIES FAQs thread. There is one part in there that is information about GACs.

Some things I can come up with to think about would be:
- are there any things that make headaches more likely?
- are there things you need to avoid when you have a headache?

Just to echo what Sue is saying- something like needing to wait in a shaded/airconditioned area might be a valid reason for a GAC. If your headaches cause visual impairments then you might want a GAC to allow you seating at the front.

Well, the triggers I think I might be affected by is bright lights and loud noises. I can handle the noises if I'm feeling okay, but if I'm not, it just makes it worse.

Well, the triggers I think I might be affected by is bright lights and loud noises. I can handle the noises if I'm feeling okay, but if I'm not, it just makes it worse.
That doesn't really sound like a GAC would help you a lot because most of those things would exist inside the attractions. (One waiting line I can think of that is noisy is Test Track; if you are able to get Fastpasses for that attraction, your wait will usually be 10 minutes of less). Most of the watiing lines don't have noise or bright lights, so you should be OK in most cases.

You should probably get as much information as you can about each attraction - noise level and lights so you can decide which attractions to avoid. If you look in the disABILITIES FAQs thread, there is a link to a past thread about epilepsy and WDW, which has quite a bit of information about lights.

Well, I do plan on having my sunglasses with me at all times, in case I need to pop them on in a ride.

I just hope I am 'okay' during this trip. I try hard to be 'normal' and that bites me in the butt sometimes. :confused3

This is my first post on the disAbilities board. Today we received a new convaid cruiser for our 9 year old son. He suffers from flat feet and other foot disorders that limit the length of time he can be on his feet without getting severe pain in his legs. He has been afflicted since about the age of 2 and we have been through the gamete of orthodics to correct his issues, none of which have actually worked to any degree. We have been to WDW several times with him (actually all 3 of our sons have the same issues with varying degrees of disability). We have always used a regular stroller and held him in the lines when he just couldn't bear to stand any longer. He has outgrown any regular strollers and is just to heavy to hold anymore. I have been having a debate within myself as to whether we should get a GAC card for him for our next trip. He really does need his stroller to sit in while waiting in any lines that are longer than 10 minutes or so. Anyone that would look at him would think that he is the picture of health, but unfortunately that isn't the case. After finding this thread tonight I feel much better about getting him the GAC card and making our vacation much more pleasurable for us all. You have all answered my questions without my even having to ask. Thank you for all the information and support that you are providing. Now I can throw the rationalization that I had been using out the window and know that I am doing what is best for my son.
(which was the fact that our insurance covered the stroller even though it won't cover orthodics or even podiatry appointments so he obviously has a need)

If you haven't already, check out the disABILITIES FAQs thread, near the top of the board. There is a section about GACs on that thread.
The CMs should recognize the Convaid Cruiser as a Special Needs stroller, but just to make sure, I'd suggest going to Guest Relations.
They were experimenting with putting a special tag on the stroller to let CMs know it should be treated as a wheelchair. When they use the tag, they don't give a GAC as far as I know (unless there are other invisible disabilities that are not accomidated just by being able to bring the stroller into lines with you).

If you haven't already, check out the disABILITIES FAQs thread, near the top of the board. There is a section about GACs on that thread.
The CMs should recognize the Convaid Cruiser as a Special Needs stroller, but just to make sure, I'd suggest going to Guest Relations.
They were experimenting with putting a special tag on the stroller to let CMs know it should be treated as a wheelchair. When they use the tag, they don't give a GAC as far as I know (unless there are other invisible disabilities that are not accomidated just by being able to bring the stroller into lines with you).

That is the only disablility that he needs help with. I will definitely stop by guest relations. Thanks again.

Deb

Well, I do plan on having my sunglasses with me at all times, in case I need to pop them on in a ride.

I just hope I am 'okay' during this trip. I try hard to be 'normal' and that bites me in the butt sometimes. :confused3

It's ok not to be normal. No one is normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter