• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Internet Access ?????'s

ktharris

Earning My Ears
I am planning on using the unlimited internent package to keep in touch with my older children who are staying at home this trip. I have told them I expect 2 e-mails a day to check in and let me know all is well!!!

But, I have no idea how it works. How will they know what internet addy to use? We have aol at home and that is all I know how to do!! Will we be able to Instant Message?

Can you share the internet access package with someone else?

Please help....as you can tell I'm clueless and beginning to really stress over all the little details.

Thanks,
Kathy

The terminals at the Internet Cafe have AOL loaded on them, but you can also access your email through a web browser. Go to www.aol.com and enter your Screen Name and Password (if you don't remember your password because you have it entered automatically, find out what it is.

Your email address, if you want somebody else to be able to contact you, is your screen name followed by "@aol.com".

Yes, you can IM. Somebody recently reported that the Internet Cafe manager told them that the access package cannot be shared, but I would see no reason why you couldn't. Just be aware that only one person at a time can use your access ID.

Thanks for the info Dave.....I just knew you would help!!!

If I understand correctly, then what you get onboard is just access to your own aol account. So, if my son is at home on the computer (using aol), then I would not be able to sign on to the account??? Since we only have one aol account at home, then we wouldn't be able to Instant Message?

Thanks for your help,
Kathy

Not sure about that, ktharris. You might want to test that theory ahead of time. Try logging on using a friend's computer and your ID while your son logs on at home using his Screen Name. See if you run into any problems with that.

If you have 1 account and have mutiple users on that account, you can not logon at the same time to chat. There is away to do this though...

Go to AOL.com Then click on AOL INSTANT MESSANGER (half way down the page, this brings you to another page) Click on
AIM EXPRESS on the left hand side of screen. You will be brought to a start button.. Click START.. this will launch a signon screen, enter your name and password and then you are on.
Try this before you go.

Hope this helps

Joe

Just returned from the Wonder.:( The Internet Cafe was our link home! Unlimited use is $39.95. Well worth it when you compare it to ship-to-shore phone rates. I used an address I had at ivillage,dot,com and sent and received messages from that. It worked out perfectly!

Can you access your web-based email, like a yahoo email account?

Originally posted by Iris
Can you access your web-based email, like a yahoo email account?

Yes. In fact, it is much easier to access web-based email on the ship than non web-based email.

We just got back from the Wonder and the internet access was terrible. I should have got unlimited access for $39.95 because it took me 10 minutes just to go check out 1 one page. Hopefully I just had a slow terminal and it was not the satellite they use for internet access.

speaking of being connected by ship to shore phone, how much are the phone rates? anyone know?
also, can cellular phones be used on board (i.e are there any cellular phone companies that reach the boat at sea? in nassau?)..

this will be the one main problem for my husband who has to be online and on phone 24/7/365,......(talk about annoying, eh?......i won't even mention the situations in which he will ALWAYS answer the phone......)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter