Intermediate v Standard SUV Rental?

ICan'tWait

Mouseketeer
I'm wondering if the SUV sizes are like the regular car sizes and there is really no difference between the Intermediate and Standard (not full) size SUVs? I have a standard size SUV reserved with Alamo and we definitely need larger than an intermediate. The intermediate SUV is cheaper than the standard but I'm nervous that the standard is just an online option and not what we will find at the airport. Also our rental is TPA not MCO but I would imagine they would have the same selection sizes. What has been your experience with SUV rentals?

It is best to know the exact model of vehicle in those categories. Rental car companies make cars sound bigger then they are and categories like 'standard' or 'intermediate' are vague terms that each company may use differently. Best to reserve the vehicle based on your family size/how much luggage, etc. and how you intend to use it.

It is best to know the exact model of vehicle in those categories. Rental car companies make cars sound bigger then they are and categories like 'standard' or 'intermediate' are vague terms that each company may use differently. Best to reserve the vehicle based on your family size/how much luggage, etc. and how you intend to use it.
Exactly.

Check one of the travel sites (Expedia, etc). On most of them there is a button to display a typical vehicle in each class -- click that button! You will find significant differences between companies and their vehicle categories. Compare model to model, NOT categories.

It says RAV4 vs Ford Edge. My concern is they will not actually be offering a larger SUV but will only have intermediate sizes. When picking up does Alamo actually have an aisle for Standard SUVs or is it whatever is in the intermediate aisle?

If you are limiting yourself to Alamo, you will get whatever they have available. I would shop several rental car companies -- a car is a car is a car.

Also check minivan pricing. I have sometimes found minivan pricing less expensive than SUVs, and they would have more room than either a Rav4 or Edge.

If you are limiting yourself to Alamo, you will get whatever they have available. I would shop several rental car companies -- a car is a car is a car.

Also check minivan pricing. I have sometimes found minivan pricing less expensive than SUVs, and they would have more room than either a Rav4 or Edge.

True, but not all rental companies are the same. Some are at the airport, while some aren't. That's a pain. I went with Alamo because of the reviews, on site at airport, excellent reviews in Unofficial Guide, and you can skip the rental counter. Just grab your bags and head to the garage.

...but not all rental companies are the same. Some are at the airport, while some aren't. That's a pain.
True, of course.

So limit yourself to airport-only companies. You'll still find a wide variance for the same vehicle, and you'll also find some companies who call Car A "Fullsize" and others who call it "Midsize" and charge less for it. And companies who charge more for what they call "Midsize" than another company charges for "Fullsize."

It's rental car pricing -- it's not supposed to make sense.

As _19DisA said above, you really have to compare model to model. Categories mean nothing.

Or...you can use your favorite company and pay whatever they charge for whatever they say is "Standard."

Or...you can look at everything and choose your favorite company because you're fine with a few dollars extra to be comfortable with your choice.

There are no right or wrong answers.

It's always good to compare the full sized SUV to minivan pricing, we find that in Florida especially, the minivan pricing is often higher than full sized SUV's because families are familiar with driving them at home and so its a simple case of supply and demand. We usually spring for a full sized SUV and get a suburban or the like, something the kids love! Most of the small / intermediate SUVs are no bigger than a car but just with the space rearranged to be more upright (if that makes sense) so from a cost and driving / parking perspective you would be better taking the full sized car depending on luggage, stroller etc...

I usually use Costcotravel and use that to compare the models in the categories and then look online for reviews for those models for some 'real world eyes' on the car. Makes life easier.

The only drawback with full-sized SUV's is that they tend to have a mileage restriction of say 1500miles then its 25cents per mile afterwards, I have found most other categories do not, so just something to bear in mind.

Also need to check the rental car arrangements at Tampa to understand how it works. Some airports have the major rental car companies onsite while the 'lower price' ones are at some offsite location, which is part of why they are cheaper. You may have to stand in various lines before you actually get your rental car. You can also save money by declining any of those needless extras they try to sell you like 'insurance'. No one who has regular car insurance needs to pay for that. Always return the vehicle with the gas showing 'full' to avoid excessive refueling charges.

Someplace like Orlando that is typically a family destination for Disney or Universal will most likely have more SUV/van type vehicles since that is what people need for the size of their party. Vehicle inventories probably vary daily as cars get picked up while others are returned.

We had a standard SUV rental at MCO through Alamo on our May trip. Ended up with a Hyundai Tuscon, which was what most of the vehicles in that aisle were. Yes, there were separate aisles for standard SUVs and intermediate SUVs at the Orlando location.

We normally just rent an intermediate SUV, but were able to get the upgrade to the standard for just a few dollars more. The standard versus the intermediate didnt seem like much difference to us....there was not SIGNIFICANTLY more space in the standard.....but had there been more vehicles from which to choose (there were lots of SUVs, just not many different models) perhaps we would have a different opinion.

We have a standard SUV booked for our October trip right now, but only because we snagged a dip in rates where it was even cheaper (by a tidy margin) than the intermediate. I will gladly drop down to an intermediate if that price declines below my current reservation.

I will clarify that we are just two adults, so we look at a vehicle from just a comfort standpoint. We don't have children or a plethora of luggage to accommodate when we travel.

Yep, I've never seen a RAV4 in Orlando. Most of the Toyota ones I have seen have been Carollas, and they were on the midsize aisle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter