• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Intermediate Car - will we fit?

Rpsemont

DIS Veteran
We are 3 adults and one child age 8. I usually go for a full size, but so far have found better deals on intermediate size. For luggaage we carry a large wheeled suitcase and 3 small wheeled suitcases, plus two carry on bags. I usually pack an empty duffle bag and that gets filled up for the return home. The rental places say five passengers, but only two bags for an intermediate. Can you maybe fit three bags and a backpack in the trunk? I may use priceline so I won't be able to call the rental company to verify what kind of car they use.

Alss, anyone got any great deals for rentals for October? Seems most of the special expire in June or July. SO far, best I've done is National EA - midsize $133.15 total cost 10/24-10/29.

I think you could make it. You can alway stack one or two of the smaller wheeled totes in the middle of the back seat. If the price difference is really that great I would say you could make due with an intermediate. Smaller soft sides bags are easier to arrange than say three large wheeled totes.

If you are going with National, hopefully you will have no problem finding an intermediate on the EA that fits you & your stuff. Even within the same class of cars the luggage & passenger space varies. :)

That rate doesn't sound bad to me! A 5 day rental is usually the same as a week. I think for the convenience of choosing my own car, I'd stick with National over Priceline.

It will be tight!

We are a family of 4 with two DDs ages 3 and 6 on our last trip and we just fit in a Full size. We fill the trunk and then have to put stuff between or by the girls feet.

We rented an Intermediate once when they were 1 and 4 and it was VERY VERY tight and that is why we pay the little bit extra for the Full size.

Consider packing lighter. My family of 4 including DD3 and DD6 are planning a 2 week vacation in California this summer and we are renting a subcompact (think TINY). I couldn't pass up the deal, $145 for 2 week rental. We plan to take one suitcase and 2 backpacks. The backpacks can go on the floorboard at the kids feet, if necessary. Purchases will be shipped home.

Peggy

Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely spend some more time trying to get the full size. We had a full size last time - a Buick Century I think and had plenty of room to spare.

I own a Grand Am, which is their benchmark for intermediate. I can usually get 2 full size suitcases in and an overnight bag, that's it. I would go for a full size if you can find a decent deal.

Check everyday!

I started out well over $200 for a Full size at both National and Alamo for Nov/Dec rental.

Then slowly they both came down. I get a better deal with National because of Disney Club discounts...I'm at $111 TOTAL for a Full size with the Emerald Club for a week. I don't think I'll do better than that!

There are coupons through Entertainment book, Wholesale clubs, AP discount, Walmart and Vacation outlet but some still expire May 31. I'm sure they'll come out with new ones soon.

Part of your problem is that you are not renting for a full week so some of the coupons don't work.

good luck!

beattyfamily - what a great rate! If I could get that I wouldn't look anymore. That includes all the fees? I'm Disney Club too, and EA and have Entertainment. Guess I'll just spend some more time on it. We're going in October. Maybe I'll try plugging in a week - I suppose we could always return the car early. Did you get that for this coming november? How'd you do it? Not that it doesn't change daily! LOL!

Originally posted by Rpsemont
beattyfamily - what a great rate! If I could get that I wouldn't look anymore. That includes all the fees? I'm Disney Club too, and EA and have Entertainment. Guess I'll just spend some more time on it. We're going in October. Maybe I'll try plugging in a week - I suppose we could always return the car early. Did you get that for this coming november? How'd you do it? Not that it doesn't change daily! LOL!

All I did was check daily and read here daily because many times someone will post that the rates came down.

I started well over $200 but it slowly went down and right around March 15 is when the base rate was $120.89!! Then with my DC 20% discount and my DC $20 off it came to $111 TOTAL with fees/taxe!!! That's the best I've EVER done.

It's for November 30 thru December 7!

KEEP trying!

That is a fantastic rate, lets hope my Sept rate falls that low.
I am using AARP and a 20.00 coupon from BJ's and it is at 159. (plus change) for the week.

If we rent a car that is unfamilier to us , we take the bags, taking on the trip,
to the local dealer of the model or models offered by the Rental Company.
We tell the sales person that we are renting the model you are looking at to
get a feel for a future purchase of the vehicle. Or take a tape measure and size up the
trunk area, or get a copy of the consumer report auto issue which has the volume of the trunk. Remember the wheels on suit cases stop you from just throwing the suitcases in.
put the wheeled end of the case against the backseat on the floor.
We use 30",26",30" duffle bag, 24" in a Alero or Granam.
Sometimes standing the suitcase on one side vertical 3 large suit cases fit and put carryons between the rear seat people.

ENJOY!

THE MAGIC HAPPENS!!!
:jester: :jester: :jester:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter