Interesting/Fun Cities to take Teens

NinaBella

DIS Veteran
A couple years ago I decided to take my kids to a new city each year. So far this has worked out. We just got back from Las Vegas and I am at a loss for where to take them next. Or rather, where DH will agree to go next. I would want it to be a different experience from what we see everyday in Florida.

Any Suggestions? Although DH would prefer to drive for cost savings, we can fly. Also, please include a few things teens might enjoy doing in that city.

We live in Tampa, Florida

Places I have considered:

Charleston, SC on the way to visit family. We have been here, but teens too young to remember.
New York City - mixed feelings on this. I have friends who go every Christmas.
Seattle - DH says this one is too far as he wants to drive
San Francisco - I am not sure what to do here with teens and we would have to fly
Boston - I went with a former boyfriend from the area, but DH not interested in going.
Alaska - I have been to North Pole and Fairbanks. Would take the kids to Anchorage and Denali
Seoul, South Korea - the kids were born here and I have a relative within a couple hours drive.

Places I am not interested in:
Chicago - No particular reason.
Los Angeles - DH and DS has no interest

Best travel time: Summer

Some of the places we have been to with the kids:

Detroit, Michigan (going back here December 2018 as we have close family there)
San Antonio, Texas (close family there)
Austin, Texas
Dallas, Texas
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina (close family here)
Florence, South Carolina (close family here)
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Belle River, Ontario
St. Augustine, Florida
Daytona Beach, Florida
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
West Palm Beach, Florida
Panama City Beach, Florida
Destin, Florida
Orlando, Florida
New Orleans, Louisiana
Biloxi, Mississippi
Baltimore, Maryland
Lewisburg, Pennsylvania
Washington D.C.
Chattanooga, Tennesee
Nashville, Tennessee
Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Boone, North Carolina
Atlanta, Georgia
Valdosta, Georgia
Columbus, Ohio
Las Vegas, Nevada
El Paso, Texas
Indianapolis, Indiana
Tulsa, Oklahoma

DH wants to keep it low budget since we have two kids going to college soon. Most of my ideas would require us to fly.

Last edited:
We went to San Francisco a couple years ago and my kids really enjoyed it. We traveled down the coast and also stayed in Monterey and visited Big Sur. I'm not really sure what your teens are in to but there was plenty to do in and around SF for them.
I would also suggest Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg if you enjoy more outdoorsy/recreational type cities as opposed to "big" cities.

Might be a little behind your normal driving range, but maybe Indy or STL?

Looks like you've visited a lot of cities. What about a more rural experience? Lake house? River rafting? Etc

We went to San Francisco a couple years ago and my kids really enjoyed it. We traveled down the coast and also stayed in Monterey and visited Big Sur. I'm not really sure what your teens are in to but there was plenty to do in and around SF for them.
I would also suggest Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg if you enjoy more outdoorsy/recreational type cities as opposed to "big" cities.

Thanks, I have a friend here in Florida who travels to SF to visit her sister (who attends college there) and the pictures seem pretty.

My dad lived in Oak Ridge, TN for a couple years and my older boys and my teen son went to visit him one week in July a couple years ago. I booked them a zip line trip near a state park in Gatlinburg so they had to drive through Pigeon forge to get there. My boys reported "It's more of a tourist trap than Orlando." LOL. So that is probably off the list.

Looks like you've visited a lot of cities. What about a more rural experience? Lake house? River rafting? Etc

Sorry, Indy should be on my list of places visited. DD did competitive cheer up until a few months ago. Actually her team is in Indy this weekend (the one she just quit). I will update my list. Although, we didn't venture too far away from the convention center since it's cold in January for us Florida girls.

I have considered Upper Peninsula, Michigan.
DH mother had a summer home in Arizona when she was alive.

We have talked about attending the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta but the kids high school is really strict on missed days. When we went to Vegas one of DD teacher was really wanting to give her a zero for assignments she missed on those days a "family vacation."

My DH lived in South Dakota and New Mexico before we met (among other places).

My local paper did an article with this place one time. It looks nice. I am not 100% sold on it though. I think the building is getting some bad reviews for age and upkeep. I messaged them once because I researched and found the current owner is a Veteran and they replied and said they do military discounts. DH and I are both Veterans.

Christmas Farm Inn and Spa
Jackson, New Hampshire

Thanks, I have a friend here in Florida who travels to SF to visit her sister (who attends college there) and the pictures seem pretty.

My dad lived in Oak Ridge, TN for a couple years and my older boys and my teen son went to visit him one week in July a couple years ago. I booked them a zip line trip near a state park in Gatlinburg so they had to drive through Pigeon forge to get there. My boys reported "It's more of a tourist trap than Orlando." LOL. So that is probably off the list.

Yes PF is definitely a tourist trap. We vacationed there mainly for recreation in the Smoky Mountains, but we still did some touristy stuff.

How about Memphis? My kids really enjoyed the few days we stayed there. It is a nice mix of artsy and historic, and has a very cool vibe. Not to mention great food.

My teens love NYC, since it’s in our backyard. Walking the high line, Central Park, Chelsea market, broadway shows, top of the rock, circle line, museums...

I am considering it since we can drive there. DH was saying other than right in Times Square/Central Park he didn't feel there was much else to do. I think he might be wrong. So I was thinking if we planned a trip to NYC, we could also stop back in D.C. since we didn't make it to all the Smithsonian we wanted to see last trip. We also would save on hotels in D.C. by staying on one of the surrounding military bases like we did the last time we stopped in D.C.

How about Memphis? My kids really enjoyed the few days we stayed there. It is a nice mix of artsy and historic, and has a very cool vibe. Not to mention great food.

My brother lives outside of Memphis and talks really bad about it. Well, mostly the schools, but also the crime rates. He lives on the outskirts because of the school and his daughter is in high school. He works as a civilian for the Army and has been there a few years now.

I am considering it since we can drive there. DH was saying other than right in Times Square/Central Park he didn't feel there was much else to do. I think he might be wrong. So I was thinking if we planned a trip to NYC, we could also stop back in D.C. since we didn't make it to all the Smithsonian we wanted to see last trip. We also would save on hotels in D.C. by staying on one of the surrounding military bases like we did the last time we stopped in D.C.

This cracked me up! I've lived here for decades and still haven't done everything there is to do here.

My brother lives outside of Memphis and talks really bad about it. Well, mostly the schools, but also the crime rates. He lives on the outskirts because of the school and his daughter is in high school. He works as a civilian for the Army and has been there a few years now.

I think suburbanites almost always feel that way about the central city, at least around older/poorer cities. It is a product of hearing all the "if it bleeds, it leads" stories on the local news. But most of those things are happening in parts of the city where tourists would never venture. I grew up in an inner-ring Detroit suburb and now in the rural-exurban fringe, and we know people who have NEVER set foot in the city because of their perception of the crime rates. But most of that crime takes place in a handful of deeply impoverished neighborhoods, many of which saw their local police precincts shuttered due to budget cuts; crime rates in the downtown and midtown areas are modest and police presence is visible and pro-active.

We spent three days in Memphis, including two evenings in the city, and I never felt unsafe even as a woman traveling solo with a child.

I vote for NYC. There is a TON to do and I especially think there is a lot for teens to see/do which I think some places lack. Sightseeing, tours, shows, shopping, eating etc...

You could even do a combined Boston/NYC trip, they're not terribly far from one another.

We spent the day in Boston last Monday(our first trip) and I fell in love with the sights alone! I can't wait to go back and actually explore.

As someone who is very familiar with Memphis, I wouldn’t recommend it as a vacation spot to anyone. Too easy to end up in the wrong place at the wrong time there, especially if you aren’t familiar with the area. There was just a recent shooting over Christmas in what would normally be considered the “safe” part of town. A number of people were hospitalized.

I think suburbanites almost always feel that way about the central city, at least around older/poorer cities. It is a product of hearing all the "if it bleeds, it leads" stories on the local news. But most of those things are happening in parts of the city where tourists would never venture. I grew up in an inner-ring Detroit suburb and now in the rural-exurban fringe, and we know people who have NEVER set foot in the city because of their perception of the crime rates. But most of that crime takes place in a handful of deeply impoverished neighborhoods, many of which saw their local police precincts shuttered due to budget cuts; crime rates in the downtown and midtown areas are modest and police presence is visible and pro-active.

We spent three days in Memphis, including two evenings in the city, and I never felt unsafe even as a woman traveling solo with a child.

My husband grew up in Mexican town (Detroit) and went to Western High School. He graduated in ‘79 and joined the military.

I’m glad you felt safe. However, my personal experience has been that it isn’t very. Would I tell people don’t go there at all, no. However, I wouldn’t recommend it as a safe place for a family to go, when they aren’t familiar with the city.

I wouldn’t consider myself a suburbanite, as far as the mindset you are referring to. Although, I have lived in the suburbs at times, as well as the country, and the city. I grew up in Houston, and I’ve lived in downtown Atlanta and in New Orleans, neither of which were in even remotely nice or suburb areas. I’ve lived and worked in some very rough areas over the years. I have family who live in Central America, not an expat community or anything, just live there in a regular neighborhood which would be considered worse than anything here. I’m not one to worry or overreact about big scary cities or bad areas, and I feel safer in the barrio in Central America then in Memphis.

My father currently works in Memphis, so I’ve spent quite a bit of time there. I usually agree that if you stay to the tourist areas you are ok in most cities, but in Memphis that doesn’t always hold true. I doubt the people who were standing outside of the Cheesecake Factory in the “safe touristy” part of town, felt unsafe before they were shot.

I’m a female, and I do go to Memphis alone quite often. For the most part, I don’t feel unsafe, but I know where and when it is ok to go. I also know that even some of the “safe” places, you have to be really careful in.

It isn't about some suburbanite overreacting to big scary Memphis. Locals will tell you crime is bad, and it’s more these few areas are ok, and the rest stay out of, then the other way around. I’d tell you go to Nashville, a larger city, in an instant. There are very few places that need to be avoided in Nashville, but Memphis is a different story. A combination of poverty / unemployment, lack of educational opportunities, and long standing racism issues, has created a mess.

So when recommending a city to visit with teens, who usually want to be let loose on their own some, that wouldn’t be Memphis in my opinion. When I go with the teens, they know they have to stay right with me, and at some places I won’t even let them out of the car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter