Insurance?

Minnie&Mickey

I want to live at the Fort!
When we booked our cruise on Monday, I didn't add the insurance. I did ask what it covered and was told that it covered last minute cancellations due to death of close family member, illness, but not work related cancellations. It also covered medical help in other countries. I called my health insurance carrier (Blue Cross HMO) and asked if we were covered in Nassau and on the private island and they said yes. I also asked if we were covered if we needed to be airlifted for some reason, and was told yes. So my question is, is there really a need for the insurance, wouldn't we be double insuring ourselves?

If we do get insurance, I know we need to sign up for it soon, so who do you recommend, Disney or someone else?

It is much cheaper thru private companies than thru DLC. It will also cover any medical expenses beyond any limits of your health insurance company (how much will they pay for an emergency evacuation?). It will cover if someone gets sick on the ship and the family has to be confined to the cabin for 3 days (you'll get that percentage of the cruise cost refunded).

You really do have some time to explore private coverage as until 60 days before, your cruise is totally refundable if you cancel for any reason.

I went through the same thing M&M. We didn't add it at first - (a little over $300 for the week for our family!), because I found out my insurance will cover us overseas and in the case of an evac, we'd be covered. But then I thought.....what if my son breaks his ankle on the first day of the cruise and we all have to cut our vacation short! Or what if one of us got sick and was quarantined for 48 hours (which I found out that IS what they do when you get sick on board)? All of the medical expenses would be covered (although we would have to pay the expenses and then be reimbursed....yikes!), but the vacation would not be refunded if we didn't have their insurance. This way, God forbid, if something happens, we can come back when everyone is better! So, needless to say, I called back and added it on. More than likely, not a thing will happen, but I just know if I didn't get it, something will happen!

Originally posted by cantsitstill
But then I thought.....what if my son breaks his ankle on the first day of the cruise and we all have to cut our vacation short! Or what if one of us got sick and was quarantined for 48 hours (which I found out that IS what they do when you get sick on board)? All of the medical expenses would be covered (although we would have to pay the expenses and then be reimbursed....yikes!), but the vacation would not be refunded if we didn't have their insurance.

I never even thought about that. I just figured that as long as medical evacuations were covered, that we really didn't need it. I didn't realize that they reimburse you if you are quarantined to your room. Did you go with Disney's insurance or another carrier? Is there a big difference in the different companies, and what companies offer cruise insurance?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter