Insurance question....

bcbmommy

DIS Veteran
Okay, we're leaving for Florida in one week & I've still got to call Disney and finalize/pay for our trip. All I've done to this point is pay the one night fee. Anyway...since we're so close to our trip, should I even bother with purchasing the travel insurance? I mean, if something happens last minute, would we lose all our money, or would they let us postpone?

Are you sure you're even eligible to get trip insurance? I thought it usually has to be purchased within a week or two of even booking the trip to begin with.

But, you have to think about how much the trip is costing and could you afford to lose all that.

Okay, we're leaving for Florida in one week & I've still got to call Disney and finalize/pay for our trip. All I've done to this point is pay the one night fee. Anyway...since we're so close to our trip, should I even bother with purchasing the travel insurance? I mean, if something happens last minute, would we lose all our money, or would they let us postpone?

Do you have a vacation package or a room only reservation?

A room only reservation can be cancelled up to 5 nights before the trip. If you had some unexpected reason for not showing up, worst case scenario you would be out the one nights lodging you have already paid--which is probably less than vacation insurance. More likely, with notice, Disney would allow you to move the $$ to a different travel date.

If you have a vacation package, it needed to be paid in full 45 days before the date of arrival.

I agree with PP, you generally have to purchase trip insurance when the trip is scheduled.

Are you sure you're even eligible to get trip insurance? I thought it usually has to be purchased within a week or two of even booking the trip to begin with.

But, you have to think about how much the trip is costing and could you afford to lose all that.

This is probably the case. Most insurance policies have a minimum wait period, and most trip insurance is probably the same. I doubt you could find a reputable company to give you a trip policy this close that would actually be worth anything or affordable if it was.

We booked a package last year and added the insurance when we made final payment. There was no problem adding it in and it wasn't expensive.

Check your cc that you used for the payment. My cc covers trip insurance.

Thank you for mentioning this. I'm looking at their website, and it says something about travel insurance, but I think I'll call.

About twelve years ago Dad and I were taking the kids to Disney on vacation. A few days before we were to leave (I think it was 3 days) my brother passed away unexpectedly. Since it was a last minute trip I had not purchased trip insurance. I called Disney and explained the situation. They permitted me to move the trip back a couple of days without any penalty.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter