Insurance if you know u r waiting treatment ???

buzz for boys

<font color=royalblue><marquee>Certified Serious S
Hi guys
We are assuming we have clearance from hosp to take my ds to florida but we cant get any company to insure us - very frustratating !!!
He is having an operation the day after we return and he is having antibiotics and steriods at the moment but they are in form of eyedrops that we adminster !!!
Does anybody know of an insurance company that will insure him ???
Or for the sake of 7 days would you say take the chance and take him uninsured ?? This is the difference between going and not going !!
Louise x

Insurance companies work on the basis of probabilities of claims.
If they won't insure you, then really, should you be going?
It sounds like they class you as a high risk, I would NOT go without insurance! if you do and God forbid something does happen, you are looking at major health costs in the tens of thousands of pounds, not just from the health issues, but say, for instance, you were hit in a car accident, the costs could be astronomical

Just my two pence worth:

- I would never travel to the US without insurance - even without your son's condition, if something were to happen, the costs could bankrupt you.

- I would follow your doctors' advice on whether or not to travel. Most insurance companies don't consider individual circumstances in any detail, only the broad categories. Your doctor will know more about the medical condition than the person in the insurance call centre.

- I read an article recently in the telegraph that suggested World First (ww .worl d-fi rst.c o.uk) as a good insurer for people with pre-existing medical conditions. If I recall correctly, the article was saying that they had a more in-depth approach to looking at your medical history and condition, rather than the more 'tick-box' approach that many of the larger insurers use. They might be worth a try. [Disclaimer! I have not used them, I'm just passing on what I've heard!].

Steve,
Thanks for that I havent tried there and after a quick look at their website think it may be worth a try so ill phone in the morning and see what they say!!
Thank you x x x

Obi - I know going un insured is a big risk what i dont understand is why they dont just discount his medical condition from being covered instead of declining cover for everything. I take on board what you are saying about if you cant get cover should we be going but I know kids and adults far sicker than my ds go to wdw and they cant travel uninsured can they??? Our problem is that as soon as we say he has had cancer the insurance companys automatically turn us down we dont get any further into a quote than that !!

Steve,
Thanks for that I havent tried there and after a quick look at their website think it may be worth a try so ill phone in the morning and see what they say!!
Thank you x x x

Obi - I know going un insured is a big risk what i dont understand is why they dont just discount his medical condition from being covered instead of declining cover for everything. I take on board what you are saying about if you cant get cover should we be going but I know kids and adults far sicker than my ds go to wdw and they cant travel uninsured can they??? Our problem is that as soon as we say he has had cancer the insurance companys automatically turn us down we dont get any further into a quote than that !!

Have you tried the Cancer organisations websites/forums? maybe they can give you some insurance comapnies which will cover him?

My mum had heart surgery in September (we were in WDW in August and going back in a few weeks). We wanted covered for the condition that was linked to the surgery so this left us with a handful of choices. We went with Manor Insurance (as they gave a yearly price). M&S was another company who didn't have a problem with surgery on return. Staysure insurance choice and all clear were another few companies that would insure us. We found this out by contacting http://www.biba.org.uk/ who were able to help us narrow down companies that accepted surgery on return. Hope this helps.

You HAVE to have medical insurance when traveling to the states or else risk bankrupting your family if you should be in an accident or have an urgent medical crisis requiring hospitalization.

you can and will be bankrupted by the US medical system if you get involved with it without insurance coverage.

i am not exagerating. I know a family that decided to risk going for 2 weeks without medical insurance. They're americans and were about to move overseas. The 2 weeks right before moving they were without insurance. Oops. Their twin girls (infants at the time) had to be hospitalized right before they were scheduled to leave. They not only spent every penny of the quarter million dollars they had saved for their move overseas, but went into debt of another quarter million dollars.

So i say again, do NOT travel to america without medical insurance.

My mum had heart surgery in September (we were in WDW in August and going back in a few weeks). We wanted covered for the condition that was linked to the surgery so this left us with a handful of choices. We went with Manor Insurance (as they gave a yearly price). M&S was another company who didn't have a problem with surgery on return. Staysure insurance choice and all clear were another few companies that would insure us. We found this out by contacting http://www.biba.org.uk/ who were able to help us narrow down companies that accepted surgery on return. Hope this helps.

Thanks very helpful ill try all of those in the morning x x x
M&s Have turned us down today but ill try the others you mentioned as im sure its just a case of tracking down the right company !!

Hi Louise

This is tricky. My dad had terminal cancer and could not get insurance, but luckily he was going a cruise in Europe so he just took a chance. The US is very tricky as you simply cannot go without insurance, as I know you already know.

Have a look at this website as the guy who started had problems with insurance: http://welivewithcancer.org.uk/ This guy was on the BBC a couple of months back.

You could contact him and ask for advice as I believe he gets lots of calls.

Good luck
Tina

Hi cannot help you but someone my mum knew went to america with her son ...... he was hospitalised with appendicitious - £30,000 later !!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter