Inspired Diagnostics or local pharmacy for PCR test Pre-Sail Screening

So - when they say 24 hours do they mean 24 hours before Sailing? Or midnight of your sail date? Or embarkation? Worst case scenario can we show up at the port with the documentation?

I have discovered that no one in our somewhat rural area does the rapid PCR tests (unless you have symptoms). We've got the Inspire tests and will send that in but I need a back up option.

I'm seriously thinking about changing our family's flights to a day or two earlier to make sure our 10yo gets tested. Ugh.
We are flying across the country for this craziness so with loosing 3 hours with the time change that process eats significantly into the time we have available for testing.

Last edited:
Update: Deep into the Safe Passage website it says that if you don't upload your test results to their websites then you should bring the results to the port. So that makes me feel a little better and like we have a bit more time. I was thinking they had to be uploaded 24 hours before embarkation. Thankfully not. At least according to Safe Passage.

I'm going to do a Inspire and also a Walgreens regular PCR test first thing in the morning of the first day we can. That gives us around 75 hours (give or take the 3 hr time difference) to receive the results via email and show them at the port. With two different test companies hopefully that will happen.

Update: Deep into the Safe Passage website it says that if you don't upload your test results to their websites then you should bring the results to the port. So that makes me feel a little better and like we have a bit more time. I was thinking they had to be uploaded 24 hours before embarkation. Thankfully not. At least according to Safe Passage.

I'm going to do a Inspire and also a Walgreens regular PCR test first thing in the morning of the first day we can. That gives us around 75 hours (give or take the 3 hr time difference) to receive the results via email and show them at the port. With two different test companies hopefully that will happen.
If the Walgreens in your area has the ID NOW/NAAT option, do that! Today was our test day---many cruisers in our group did that test, got results from Walgreens in about an hour, and are already cleared by Safe Passage.

If the Walgreens in your area has the ID NOW/NAAT option, do that! Today was our test day---many cruisers in our group did that test, got results from Walgreens in about an hour, and are already cleared by Safe Passage.
Thank you for the comment. According to Walgreens they will not test those under 3. :(

Thank you for the comment. According to Walgreens they will not test those under 3. :(
Yes, that is a complication. It looks like people in our group who have under 3s did the Inspire test. One had an Ooops moment though--their toddler knocked over the vial during testing and spilled all the liquid! I was so nervous for them but luckily they were local and got a replacement from Inspire at the Inspire Radisson location. So I'd recommend you have one parent hold the vial while the other does the swab!

I wish. The closest Walgreens that has that option is about 2.5 hours away from us. So that would mean DD missing yet another day of school and honestly the round trip drive would make me tired. If anything we might change our flights to a day earlier and find a Walgreens in Florida to do it. But again, missing more school, extra hotel, etc etc.

Yes, that is a complication. It looks like people in our group who have under 3s did the Inspire test. One had an Ooops moment though--their toddler knocked over the vial during testing and spilled all the liquid! I was so nervous for them but luckily they were local and got a replacement from Inspire at the Inspire Radisson location. So I'd recommend you have one parent hold the vial while the other does the swab!
Your insight is super helpful - we sail next week.

Hello all, new to this site and my very first post - figured I would chime in as I have direct experience on this topic.
My family and I, 2 adults and 2 children (7 and 9 years old), just got back from the Disney Dream sailing 9/13-9/17
Disney adjusted the dates for the 1st test, it used to be 5 days now it's 3 days prior to sailing. With the cruise sailing on Monday 9/13, that put us at Friday 9/10 for testing. We opted for free testing through CVS (book as early as possible), and made drive-up testing appointments for the kids after school. After paperwork and preparations, the entire process took about 30 minutes. The tests are self administered and you only need to stick the cotton part of the swab into the childs nose, my kids were not uncomfortable at all and thought the cotton tickled. The results were ready the very next day (Saturday) via email. I cannot thank CVS enough on how easy they made the process.

Now on to embarkation day - as you pull up to the parking garage (and after paying) you will be guided to a testing area before parking or leaving your car. It's at this point that everyone sailing, even if vaccinated, will need to test. Just like everyone else, we were nervous about our children testing. And just like CVS, the cotton swab only needs to clear the nostrils. These tests are not the kind that poke your brain! literally only goes in about as deep as an adults thumbnail. A super quick and painless process. After testing, you will drive up to an empty parking spot where you stay in your car and wait for the results of the tests via email or Safe Passage website (I was refreshing constantly). After about 45 minutes we were given the all clear to board!

Hope this helps any new cruisers.

I am confused. Do you have to get tested before you arrive and at the port?

I am confused. Do you have to get tested before you arrive and at the port?
The previous poster said they had kids age 7 and 9. If you have kids under 12 (and therefore unvaccinated) you need to two tests: the one at the port for everyone, and then just for the under 12s, an earlier test arranged/paid for by the guest 1-3 days prior to the sailing date. You then upload those test results for the kids to the Safe Passage site the same way you upload proof of vaccination for guests age 12 and up. You will not be given your "clear to arrive" pre-clearance from the Safe Passage site until everyone age 12 and up has a vaccination record uploaded and everyone age 11 and below has a negative NAAT/PCR test result uploaded.

The previous poster said they had kids age 7 and 9. If you have kids under 12 (and therefore unvaccinated) you need to two tests: the one at the port for everyone, and then just for the under 12s, an earlier test arranged/paid for by the guest 1-3 days prior to the sailing date. You then upload those test results for the kids to the Safe Passage site the same way you upload proof of vaccination for guests age 12 and up. You will not be given your "clear to arrive" pre-clearance from the Safe Passage site until everyone age 12 and up has a vaccination record uploaded and everyone age 11 and below has a negative NAAT/PCR test result uploaded.

Got it. Thank you!

I have a question....looking for a place to have our 2 year old granddaughter before the cruise. Most places appear to test 3 and up. Our cruise leaves out on Sunday, November 28. The three days would be Thanksgiving. Thanks for any suggestions.

You might check with your granddaughters pediatrician’s office. Ours has a PCR test that is in the office and had results in a few hours. I didn’t get all of the particulars - but they told me it was a PCR test. Sooo - you might check if your granddaughter’s dr might have a similar setup. Or even the local children’s hospital - ours offers it in KC.

You might check with your granddaughters pediatrician’s office. Ours has a PCR test that is in the office and had results in a few hours. I didn’t get all of the particulars - but they told me it was a PCR test. Sooo - you might check if your granddaughter’s dr might have a similar setup. Or even the local children’s hospital - ours offers it in KC.
Thank you I kind of forgot this option - I"m going to call them.

If you travel somewhere that requires certain immunizations (for example, Malaria) before travel, you pay for those. If you choose to travel to a place that requires an pre-entry visa, you are responsible for paying the visa fee.

It's your choice to travel to those places. It's your choice to take a cruise during a global pandemic. You're informed of the testing requirement before and during the booking process, you can choose to cruise at a later date when it's not required, or take a vacation to a location that doesn't require covid testing.
the cruiseline requires it they should pay for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter