inspired by "what do you do when you hear people talking about WDW

TREEFROG00

Earning My Ears
What do you do when you hear someone say, "we did Disney and hated it" or "it bored us"

Do you tend take it personally as if it was someone that was staying in your home and insulting you? My heart pauses and I feel like I miss a breath. I end up quizzing them to see what they did wrong. I get a strong urge to take them there myself to show them the "right way" to do Disney so you can enjoy yourself.
:rolleyes:

exactly the same thing, question them on what they did, and then give suggestions...i just dont get these people who dont do anything there, its like they expect a welcoming matt at their feet and characters to personally take them on a tour or something. one co-worker of my dh's insisted there was nothing to do there...(gasp) i was so in shock! we go 2 times a year and still havent seen it all or done it all....

Originally posted by korzmom
one co-worker of my dh's insisted there was nothing to do there...(gasp) i was so in shock! we go 2 times a year and still havent seen it all or done it all....

Nothing to do there? Are you kidding me? What, did they go to the Disney Information Center in Ocala by mistake?!?!?!

Basically I think if they didn't have a good time, or had nothing to do, then they just aren't kids at heart, and wouldn't know a good time if it hit them in the head. Honestly, I really feel sorry for them, and especially their kids!

*sniffle* *sniffle*

I hate to say it...but it does happen.

What I want to know is this:

How can two very similar families go to WDW at the same time and have such different experiences?? What makes one family fall in love with "the world" and go back repeatedly and the other family say "We did Disney World once...we don't need to do it again!"??!

This question has puzzled me for awhile!
If only we could bottle the magic....:p

IVY

To me, one of the worst thing is when people refuse to even give Disney a try. My sister absolutely will not even think of taking her family (my brother-in-law and her three boys) to WDW. She says, "I just don't think they'll like all that "character stuff"!!!! And being around all the MM stuff would "get on her nerves"!!

How do you even respond to that??? :eek:

I don't take it personal, I don't shed a tear and I don't even argue when I hear someone saying he does not like Disney.
It is a free country where each is entitled to his/her own impression and in that case, Disney is the one that failed to charm that person, not me.

We have our reasons to emjoy Disney but aren't fanatical about any amusement or theme park in particular. We are the ones who pay generously to visit, not the other way around. We have an open mind where the real magic is in the smiles of the children and the special time we share as a family anywhere we'll go. If even any place disappoints us or stops providing what we seek, we go elsewhere.

So, don't take it personal in any way at all. If someone did not enjoy Disney or it did not live to his/her expectations, it was Disney's duty to charm and dazzle that guest while onsite, not yours back home!

I have a 'friend' who will be there next week, same time as us. (but not together) She has never been there, but she knows everything (about everything in life, so she thinks) I have offered no advice for her. Sh e will be the type to not like it because she doesn't have patience with her daughter. She won't want to stand on line for anything or tolerate any type of crowd.. I am hoping for her she loosens up a little and is able to enjoy every thing..
I can hear it now,' you stay in that park all day? what is there to do?'

To each his/her own ;)

...And Disney is the one solely responsible to cater to those needs, BounceyOne!

They aren't the only family vacation site around anymore. The competition is high and if they want to open PC, stop laying off employees and stay open longer hours, they have to come up with ways to dazzle the guests harder to retain, for whatever reason!

Disney has to be imaginative to come up with promos and encouragement for first timers who may be dubious or not as motivated to explore the parks.

There's only so much we can yak about our vacations and experiences to others. The reasons to visit the parks and return become personal and individual in each case.

Oh, I get this all the time. Particularly from folk at work or in the amateur orchestra I play in. They've either been to DL Paris and didn't like it or they haven't been at all and go on about how they can't understand how we could like it.

On the one hand, I agree - why should I be bothered? But, because we are absolutely hooked on Disney, you feel that you have to justify yourself and I do always feel embarrassed and the adrenaline flows, especially I'm in the midst of several people discussing and they are all of the above type.

But then again, before I went to the States, that it what I wanted to do - go to the States - and when my mum first told me she had booked (we stayed off-site initially) THAT was what excited me... truthfully WDW was a side-issue. This is partly related to my then good neighbours who had been in the travel business and had been to both WDW and DL Ca, and they had put the notion in my head that WDW was not so good. Also, I don't think that WDW has really ever been properly presented on UK tv. It is a lot better presented now, but still could be seriously improved upon, but back then I had this vague notion of Big Thunder Mountain (when I saw footage of its construction in Paris) and the Jungle Cruise. Nothing else! The queues didn't even occur to me!

Now having been to both CA and FL I can't tell which one my neighbours would have liked least. I like them both as they are both similar yet very different.

Ironically I have never been to DL Paris. I know I would like the attractions but it is because I love the States and the people so much that I continue to go back there without trying DL Paris also. I figure if you're going to pay money for a vacation, (and DL Paris is not cheap) then go to the better location. Like I said before in previous posts, I feel more at home in North America than in Europe!

#1MMFan :bounce:

I get asked LOTS of questions of peole that know me...to help them plan the right way!

The one that bothers me is my SIL, she can't figure out why we keep going back. They went once, "when the kids were younger"...they brought a foreign exchange student with them, "so the trip was fun, we could sit by the pool & the kids did the park stuff".

I figure that everyone is different, & as someone else said...you have to have a bit of "child at heart" in you to "really believe!"

If you really believe that's what makes the whole "world" magical! Not everyone has that good an imagination. We are each unique in our own special way.

Disney is not for everyone. My eyes would inwardly glaze over if someone started talking to me about soccer, Nascar or wrestling. ;) (Or 99.9% of sports in general. ;) )
I do try to get a conversation going on WHY they didn't like it. Usually I can't get anything but non-commital, short vague replies. I don't know if it is from a lack of interest, or if they went, saw lines, and left. :confused:

#1MMFan -- You deserve a PIN! :) Would you like a lenticular Disney/MM pin? If you do, send me your mailing addy.
In times like these, I really appreciate your support! ;) :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter