Inspired by Spinning's camera problem-broken camera at WDW

eeyoreforever

DIS Veteran
When I read Spinnings post about her camera being broken again, it brought back a terrible memory. We have only been to WDW once-last summer. We drove down and arrived in the evening. We decided to go to downtown disney to look around since we didn't want to waste a days pass in the park. I was snapping pictures left and right and all of a sudden my camera just froze. Wouldn't do a thing. I was on the verge of tears. My children are crying because they don't want to leave to go shopping and I'm thinking my trip is already ruined. We found a camera store and bought me a new camera. Got totally ripped off. We later found the same camera at WalMart for much less $$,
but at the time, we didn't know where to go to look for a camera. What makes me really mad about that now is that we asked several people working in downtown disney to point us in the right direction to find a camera and nobody seemed to know anything. Fortunately, I was able to retake all the pictures I had on that roll of film. They had to destroy my film trying to get it out of my broke camera-thinking maybe they could fix it. Sorry this got so long.

I feel your pain :(

I dropped my camera earlier this year...(I LOVED that camera) and it is totally dead. I haven't even thought about taking it in to be repaired, I think I would just be happier with a new one. But I just can't bring myself to spend that much money right now. So I bought a little cheapie 35mm to get by on while I do some camera research--It "ate" my roll of film...RUINED...no Easter pics of DD, no egg-dyeing...I'm just sick thinking about it :( I'm not too fond of my digital camera either. I guess all I should be inspired by all of these posts to find a camera that will work for me!

Candi

On our last Orlando trip, a few days before our very first cruise, we were at Islands of Adventure and we went on Popeye and Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges (like Kali River Rapids but wetter) and we stayed on 3 times in a row. We got soaked!!!! We were dripping as we got off and then I heard hubby say "wait, let's take a picture!" :eek:

WHAT????!!! You brought the camera??????:eek: :eek: :eek:
As he pulls it out of the (supposedly) water resistant camera bag, and my tongue is like on the ground....the water DRIPS out of the camera and it's toast!!! It won't even turn on!:earseek:

I was so upset, I thought he had left the camera with my brother who was waiting for us at the exit.

We went to Wal Mart and some other stores and then finally bought a camera at Camera Express on the 192. I knew we were paying almost double what we would have paid at home but I had no choice...I wasn't about to go on the Disney Cruise without a decent camera!

This fall, before every water ride, I will ASK hubby...do you have the camera on you still??? :rolleyes:

Well our camera didn't break but we something just as tragic--we lost it!! It was our very first trip down, had those first MK and AK photos---you know those ones that you can never get back again!! We were on the bus back from AK and it must of fell out as when we got back to the room it was gone, we tried lost and found but no luck. We ended up buying disposable camera's for several days (spent a small fortune) and then finally bought one at the Belz outlet...again paid to much I think. Anyhooo we still have it, and I am now officiallly in charge of that camera--it stays "on" me!!!
Grover in Winnipeg
:)

Here is a funny broken camera story...

On Feb 28th of this year, dh calls me (on his way to a business meeting in Tampa) and says, "COME ON DOWN... I will meet you and the kids in Disney on Friday night". So, I have 4 days to pack and plan, and three days in Disney by myself with my three little ones (6, 4 & 2). We chose ASMu (budget trip). Anyway, we had a great trip down (Jet Blue's TVs are wonderful! :Pinkbounc ) but on the second day, at the pool, my ds (6) comes over with this LOOK on his face... he didn't realize the digital camera was under my shorts on the chair and SMASH onto the concrete it fell!

Now, being the good mother that I am, I didn't flip out until I hit the room. The camera (my dh's WORK camera) was smashed and cracked open. Wouldn't turn on... nothing. I had a few minutes of yelling, until I looked at him. He was soooo upset. I stopped and calmed down. We'd deal. BUT... I still had to tell Hubby! :eek:

So, since this was a quickie trip and we had been there in FEB, OCT, now March and going again in July... I didn't replace the camera. I went CAMERA FREE! :eek: :eek: (Now if you knew me, you would know how painful this should have been!... I have 7 scrapbooks in the works). SOOO... I call dh before he shows up on Friday and tell him about it and also suggest he get rid of any anger BEFORE he sees my son... lol... He did, it worked out great. AND...

I spent the rest of the trip SEEING disney with my own eyes, NOT through a camera! I did, however, take a lot of pictures of other families to fulfill my camera need! lol... The funniest part was when we saw Cinderella on the way out of MK one day... she was over on the right side of Tony's Restaurant, hidden in the shade. The people coming in under the train station couldn't see her (they were focused on Mickey in the center hub) and since she was in the shade, she didn't stand out. Every other character had 50 people in line while she had like 10! So we get in line with my kids... Finally they get up there, she takes my two girls, poses them and looks at me... I have NO camera! lol... She looks dumbfounded as to WHY this so-called MOTHER has no camera at WDW!!! :p :p :p Oh well, she spent the time TALKING to my girls instead. She was GREAT!!

So, there ya go... NOW, in July I am bringing my regular camera (Nikon 6006) and the NEW digital camera! lol

Karen

Well you guys have made me feel better! At least I am home, have a loaner and it will be fixed!
I usually on vacation take 2 cameras My original 35 with the lens and my point and shoot.I also have a spare point and shoot but it doesn't take great pictures.
My best and scariest camera whoas was several years ago we were at Disney and my son was getting his hair cut for the first time. Took tons of pictures, video got a cute certificate little toy etc...well the park was so packed that day and my parents were with me so they said we'll take the kids back and you guys enjoy the park.....we would meet up several hours later. They took the camera bag and stroller everything. I kept the camera but had a fresh roll in it!
Well.....several hours later we meet up. I go for the camera bag....no bag nothing I said, "Mom you didn't bring the camera back" She said she never had it! I wanted to cry. I said to DH you were last in did you put the strap around the stroller? NOPE! I thought that is that new Camcorder, film, memories gone for ever. Went all over looking no luck! But they kept saying it would show up just wait. Well left the park at closing and no luck!
Next day I call Lost and found and asked....BINGO they had it! Film sunscreen and all cameras! Can you believe it!?!?!? I am still amazed!

We go to Disney every year...but this particular trip was my first as a scrapper...I was armed with a list of pictures I wanted to take and a BRAND NEW 35MM Pentax SLR with two lenses(one long range). On Day 2 the camera freezes, thinking it is batteries,I waste half the day looking for the batteries for this type of camera, nope still doesn't work. Off to Walmart, guess everyone was buying cameras that day! Purchased a point and shoot and continued my trip. Pictures came out great, and when I brought my SLR in to the shop, they gave me a new one on the spot!
Now every time we go somewhere, I bring two cameras, just in case! LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter