Inspired by "I lost big money?" How do you get handle junk phone calls?

Same as others have said - I don't answer calls from a number I don't recognize.

Scammers have been getting smarter on my end.
They use regularly used area codes on my cell and sometimes I pick up the call by accident.
When that happens I block their number and wait for them to move to another one.
Gives me something to live for;).

I also ignore calls from numbers I don't recognize. Fortunately, we no longer live in the same area code that our phone numbers were assigned in. Spammers try to use the area code to trick you into answering. We know that's a spam call & ignore it. We do find humor in United States, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, etc. calling us. DH always wants to know which state is calling us this time. :laughing:

Last edited:

On my cell, I don't pick up. At home, I set the phone down and let them blab until they give up.

I purposely bought a new phone so I could block the scam calls.
I used to have a phone that could only block 30 numbers. My new phone can block 100 (or more), I forget, but I needed to be able to block way more calls than 30! LOL
I do as others have said. If I don't recognize the number I let it go to voice mail, or if I'm bored will pick up but then immediately block the call if its from a scammer.

I never pick up the phone if I don't know who it is.

Unfortunately I find that there's no point in blocking any of the numbers, because it's never been the same number twice. Every single time I get one of these unwanted calls, it's always a different number.

If im quick enough, i try to forward the calls to a bot that basically waste their time... sometimes its quite entertaining, wasted one of the scammers like 20 mins of his time before he finally hung up.

I also use the Hiya app to screen calls. The app will tell you if its a reported telemarketer.

Like others, I'v gotten calls with the same prefix as my own number and block most of those. Some guy called my number back and yelled at me for calling him. I said, 'No sir, wasn't me, was a spam call.' And hung up.

And if any calls sneak through I hang up and block the numbers.

Since my phone at home and my cell are both my business lines I HAVE to answer every call. If I say hello and I hear a recording on the other end I immediately hang up. I don't speak to robots.

If I hear anything other than someone inquiring about doing business with us (something I can suss out within 5-10 seconds) I tell them to put this number on the DNC list and I hang up on them.

Lately the biggest offender is the bot that prompts us to update our Google listing.

When the calls come to the house phone, my kids (who are older and know better) will often pick it up and play like they have a thick accent and play with the person on the other end. You know, like "who you looking for?" "oh, they are in the potty now, you want to wait?" That kind of thing. Sometimes it is funny.

Or, worst case, they just pick it up and scream. Then hang up.

On my cell, it now comes up and says "scam likely" so they just get blocked.

I generally don't pick up if I don't know the number, and block on my cell phone. I don't have a phone that blocks on my landline though, so if someone is calling me non stop I'll pick up just to get them to take me off their list.
I did have a VERY persistent timeshare company that called me day and night to invite me to a "very special dinner and presentation to help me make the most of my DVC". I repeatedly asked to be taken off the list to no avail. So, the next time they called I just asked a million questions. Are you with Disney? Is the company you're affiliated with Disney? What resort are you affiliated with? Are you affiliated with what Disney World or Disneyland? Which resorts in Disney World is that company affiliated with? Here let me list them all and you tell me which ones they're affiliated with. Can I bring my daughter to the dinner? If she's vegan will be options for her? Is it a buffet or sit down? If there are leftovers can we take them home? On and on for 20 minutes. She finally gave up, told me To have a nice day and hung up. I have never heard from them again.

Slightly off topic. :offtopic: DH and I had a flying squirrel come down the chimney and out the clean out vent, into the basement. While DH and I were trying to get it out the phone rang.

Hello?
Good morning. My name is Nancy and I'm with

Suddenly the flying squirrel flew right at my head. I screamed a scream of terror and dropped the phone.
She hung up and never called back. Go figure.

:upsidedow

I try not to answer numbers I don't know on my cell phone, but sometimes they sneak through anyway. I used to sometimes try to wait until they finished their first sentence to say, "No thank you," and then hang up. However, I find they have become more rude and aggressive and don't ever break. So I just hang up when I hear the delay(pause) at the start of the call. I didn't ask to speak to them, so I don't care that I am hanging up on them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter