Insp. by hair braiding thread - how many beads are at the end of each braid?

princesspumpkin

DIS Veteran
When you get your DD's hair braided, about how many beads do they put at the end of each braid? Also, what do they put under the braids to keep them from falling off? Thanks

I had my hole head braided in Cozumel (a mid-life crisis thing). :rotfl2: Each braid was finished off with 3 beads and the braid (and beads) was held in place with foil at the bottom (which I didn't realize until later). It started to fall out one day later as the woman did not use rubberbands to hold the braids in place. I was able to save the beads as they fell out and found another woman in The Honduras who fixed those that had fallen out using rubberbands. She educated me on the proper method of hairbraiding...which is using rubberbands not foil.

we did ours at CC and there was only one bead at each end. there is way to keep those beads on because i remember trying to take them off was a challenge.

We had DD's whole head done on the ship, and each braid had 3 beads at the end. (She was able to choose her 3 colors.) They used rubber bands to keep the braids in.

My DD did a "hairband" kind of braid - about 2 inches on the top of her head. It was great - rubberbands, followed by two beads. We chose two beads, though - the girl doing it asked what we wanted, so it's not necessary a foregone conclusion. You pay per braid, and then per bead, so it's your call.

My 2 DD's had thier hair braided into the crown. The beads were placed at the end of each braid and inbetween. They were beautiful! :flower: And lasted for two weeks after returning home. We had them done at the 'shop' at Nassua, the cost was $50.00 and the braider wrapped the beads with the same rubberband as the braid its self. :sunny:

This year my girls had their heads done on the ship and they used elastics. Last year they got there whole heads done in St. Maarten and they used the foil - now my youngest (5 at the time) kept all of her braids for over 6 weeks!

We waited until the last night to have my DD age 6 hair braided it that way it looked great when we got home and lasted quite a while. We had the hair braided so it looked like a headband.

We just had DD and her friend's hair braided on the Magic last week. It was $2 a braid and they didn't charge extra for extra beads. My daughter had hers parted at an angle with no bangs (she doesn't wear bangs and her hair is long enough in the front) and had ten cornrows with two beads at the end of each fastened by brown elastics. Her friend wears bangs so they had to leave out bangs since they weren't long enough to braid. Her hair was parted straight and she also had ten cornrows but only had one bead at the end of each. We paid $20 for each girl and then tipped on top of that.

If your child doesn't wear bangs, the angle part was very cute. The extra beads also looked great.

Sign up early- we signed up at Preludes before the show the first night. The times were all pretty full already. We got ours done on Monday which worked out to be after formal night but before all of the beach activities which was great!

Edited to add: they also let us bring our own comb and brush which made me very happy!!

I'd like to add my own two cents to this thread. Get the hair braiding done on the ship or at Castaway Cay by the cruise ship personnel. I live in Orlando so a lot of local families take cruises to the Bahamas. Each time girls come back with their hair in braids, the teachers at my child's school cringe. We have had so many lice infestations traced back to kids who got their hair braided in the Bahamas. The cruise ships have strict sanitation policies but the locals on the islands don't. I'm sure there will be many that will respond saying they haven't had a problem, but as a mother who has been directly impacted many times, I'd just like to pass on the warning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter